main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Return of the Ewok - August 23 - I LIVE! (And Dragon*con)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by ArtyEwok, Jul 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    aking big ugy things look cheery and whimsical is both a blessing and a curse.

Even when i try to do ugly it ends up ever so cute.

2. QueenofAlderaan

QueenofAlderaan Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005

Wow. I love your style. Beautiful. :)

--QueenofAlderaan

3. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    Holy crow, it's been a whole since i've updated.

Here is some relatively new stuff from me!

[image=http://flyingarmadillo.com/images/badgesamples/amarajedibadge.gif]

A spruced up sidious card.

Rancor!

KID Fisto

A Recolour of a Kit Fisto ROTS card

*Non Star Wars Stuff Below*

Trance Gemini from Andromeda

Uber Cute Gryphon (For sale, BTW!)

A Dragon that can't fly. The Fortune cookie at the bottom reads 'You must experience failure to Experience Success'

I have more, but this is it for now :) I need to go get some more art done for people!

4. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    *faints*

It is Arty! :D It's so wonderful seeing new work from you here. I left here for a long while and I remember your adorable Star Wars kids stuff. Just love it all...no one can do ewoks like you can. :)

Love the Kid Fisto...so adorable. And nice to see some non Star Wars stuff too...A nice refresher from lightsabers and whatnot. :D

5. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    Thank you!

And thanks for reminding me, I also have a new how to draw feature up at Starwars.com :D

How to draw Tarfful!

6. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Ah, more Arty stuff! The Rancor is by far my favorite. I love how he's lifting his big foot up into the air... it almost looks like he's doing a can-can dance or something. That plus the diminutive 'Rawr' text bubble just makes me want to smile.

7. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    Thanks Wick!

I love doing little 'Rawr!' speech bubbles. And starwars.com leaves them on my stuff if I submit them.. hee! That makes me giggle.

8. Spin

Spin Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2005
    Your kid fisto is so cute! It just makes me want to give him a big hug! :D

9. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    *sketchdump*

First an announcement. I will be at the Toronto Comic Book/Gaming/SF expo August 26 - 28. My Table in atist alley is A-72.

If any other artists are coming, let me know so we can meet up :D

Now, art!

[image=http://www.flyingarmadillo.com/images/artwork/pencil/lilkittarfful.jpg]

And more as text links as they are non Star Wars:

Cat Dragon Thing

I EAT YOU!

Dragon Shaman - I have finished him since this drawing, but he's in the sketch book I'll have for sale at ye con, so I'll post the final later :)

That's it, kiddies. I'll have a buttload of updates soon!

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I love sketch work. Your Cat Dragon Thing is my favourite - I think it's beautiful.

11. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
  12. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek::_|

The Ewok has been posting and I missed it!!! :_|

I'm in love with all your latest posts, ArtyEwok! I don't even know where to start!!

I adore your "Rancor" (and he's kicking your little "Flying Armadillo" isn't he, mean ol' Rancor!?)--what a great pose he's in, and the detailing on him is wonderful! Your little "Dragon Can't Fly" proverb made me misty--so true, so true, and what a sweet and wonderful depiction of that "fact of life!" The most recent post: the "Dragon Shaman"--what a stunning work! All the intricate details on his body and his talismans (you mentioned that you had "finished it"--did you fill in all the background there, too? Would love to see the final version of that one!). And I'm so with soitscometothis on your little "Cat Dragon-thing:" love that so much!! Just the expression on its face, it's pose, the way you've drawn it...just love it!

Sorry I've been missing so much of your stuff lately--and big, big congrats on the interview!! We'll all have to troop over there and take a look! Awesome!

FF

13. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    Thank you, FF :)

I haven't been posting a lot of art lately because I've been getting ready for the con in Toronto.

I'll post the full dragon shaman after the Toronto con, OK? :)

14. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    GAH! Love it all Arty! :D But I have to love the "I eat you" pic...I think it's the little AIIEEE! that gets me every time. Almost as priceless as the little Rawr! on your other work. :)

Can I look forward to more work really soon?! :) Hope so!

15. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    Oh yeah. I have a bunch more work in the wings.

And CR, have a look at FF's thread. I kinda explained Bristol board. Having lived in Australia for 9 years I'm pretty good at explaining art supplies.

And I thought of a new analogy.

Bristol board is about as heavy as cheap comic book backing boards, but is higher quality to draw on.

Or about as thick as a trading card.

16. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Wow, AtryEwok, your drawings are wonderful. I love them. [face_love]
    They are very cute. Kit Fisto is always happy, he has big, shiny eyes. I like it very much.
    Draw more!

17. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
  18. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    "Dragon Shaman" is awesome, ArtyEwok!! I had to take a couple of minutes to study the final image, to take in all the fantastic details: it really is sort of poignant--with him crouching in what appears to be a seedy alley, with grafitti and cracks on the wall behind him, and he's blowing out smoke from a cigarette... It feels as though he has an impossible task, to bring enlightenment and learning to those resposible for the vandalism and waste all around him... I love this image--in its emotion, its intricate detailing, its mood--just wonderful!

And of the most recent cards, how could one of my favs not be "Princess Kneesa?" You do have a way with Ewoks, my dear! :D I also love the "Warcraft Dwarf" and the "Aayla Secura" cards as well--the colors and details on every one of them are fabulous!

Wonderful stuff!! Thanks for sharing!

FF

19. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Great update! So much crazy colour that I can't help but love them! :D Well that and the wonderfulness that is the actual drawings too! Aayla and the little ewok would have to be my faves as well as the completed Dragon Shaman. The details are out of this world, so much depth and complexity! Well done!

Oh and thank you so much for the explanation of Bristol board! *bows down to you oh queen of illustration board and explaining things*

I think I use it, or a similar product already I just didn't know what it was called! LOL :D

You lived in Australia for a while? Wonderful! Where if you don't mind me asking? :)

20. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    Thanks FF and CR! :)

The Dragon is kinda aan exemple of my influence from old gaming books. Everything used to be black and white. I was going to use some real zip tone to shade the wall. Anyone who knows what I'm talking about should be going 'Oooooooo!' right about now. I actually have some, I didn't feel like digging through a box. For those who don't know, zip tone is a sheet of pre printed dots. You cut out the shape you want and carefully stick it on your art.

Look at almost any black and white comic from the 80s or 90s. Or Gaming books. Mike Vilardi is the undisputed king of zip tone. This piece has zip tone in it. And some real shading :D

I lived in Australia for 9 years. I spent 8 of them in Perth and 1 of them in Townsfille. I've been back in Canada since December -96.

21. TroubledAnakin

TroubledAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2004
    While I'm at it 'Oooooohhhh'

That dragon is gorgeous, and I'm sure it'd look even better with that toneing on it. My sister uses pretend toneing, by scanning it all into the computer. She built her own tones, and then just pastes them in. It's a lot cheaper, and it gets the same effect...but obviously there's real skill in being able to get it out with toneing.

I'd love to see this when it's finished - it's going to look great!

22. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    Digital ziptone is way too much work ;)

I scan my black and white art at at LEAST 600dpi in 2bit black and white (Antialiasing=the devil for printing). digital zip tone would mean dealing with a 600dpi greyscale image with layers on my poor little P3 :(

That's not to say that I won't try it sometime, though :D

I agree that the shaman would look better with zips, but this is as far as it's going with the inks. I'm either going to tone it in greyscale or make it colour. I love painting in greyscale, so it might end up being that.

I'm trying to hash out light sources again and I have a better time of it when I'm not having to deal with colours. I'm sure it'll end up in colour eventually, though. I'll use the greytone as a base for my lighting and go nuts.

23. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Great collection of cards! I had a little moment of nostalgia-thrill seeing a ninja turtle card.

The dragon shaman is quite cool and does remind me of traditional comic book style. It also seems a little 'darker' than most of your stuff. It's great that you can work in such a variety of styles.

24. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Aayla is my fav. Her smile is incredible, so happy and peaceful. I love it. And with her lekku blowing in the wind..... More? :D

Of course the others are good too, but this is my favorite.

25. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.