main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Return of the Jedi by James Kahn

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kez-Iban, May 10, 2013.

1. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I've been re-reading my Return of the Jedi novel for the first time since the 80's, and it's got me wondering, where does this novel stand as far as canon goes? There are some lines in this book that probably can't be reconciled to canon anymore (Owen and Obi-Wan are brothers), some that are iffy (Jabba used to have hair but it fell out due to disease), and others that actually could fit in really well, such as the Emperor gaining knowledge of Yoda's death from reading Luke's thoughts.
    Anyway, it's a fun read and it sure brings back the memories!

2. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I have that book but I can't actually remember those things. I guess I'll have to check it.

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The ROTJ novelization is canon (with some parts retconned) and it is one of the best pieces of Star Wars fiction. The extra details about the Battle of Endor, the insights into Vader's character and inner thoughts, and final moments of Vader's life are all incredibly well done.

--Adm. Nick

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I loved the Vader POV stuff, especially his rationale for saving the Emperor from Luke's strike.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I loved this book too! The balance between the events and the inner life of the characters was perfect! Yes, there's a few things that have been contradicted since, f.ex. Leia's remebraces of her mother, but that's small fry. In general, it's easily one of the best SW novels written!

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed. Though the Executor being set on fire before the A-Wing attack on the bridge, it crashing into several other ships, and the whole lot crashing into the Death Star, doesn't really match what we see.

That might qualify as retconned (though Wookieepedia still includes it in its Executor article).

7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I wonder if the ROTJ novel saying Jabba's hair fell out was what led the Davids to give Zorba hair in the Glove books?

8. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The OT novelizations are in kind of a weird limbo, officially they are canon, but they contain a lot of contradictions with the rest of the EU, mainly the ANH and RotJ novelizations.

10. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    The Empire Strikes Back has blue skinned Yoda.

11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The rule of thumb is that everything in the OT novels is canon unless it contradicts the movies.

wmu'14 and darklordoftech like this.
  12. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Well its based off the third draft. Which I believe is the one one right before final. And also, does the novel mention Palps by name?

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The pening page describes Endor as a world/moon that lost its parent planet. Yet in the film we see a world in the background which would be what Endor orbits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last two pic scould very well be another moon of the larger planet or a smaller moon that orbits Endor.

When Luke is talking with Vader on Endor the novel make sa comment about Jedi Voice Manipualtion techniques. I just thought it was Luke appealing to his long lost evil father, no Force thingy this or that needed.

It really is an amazing book. It's quick. Perhaps because of that it is underrated and its depth is subtle.

Grievousdude and LelalMekha like this.
  14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    This is not an image from the film.

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Yep, you are right, I got in a hurry and did not check.

16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    That's exactly what I was getting at.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I've seen claims that portions of the novelizations are "S-canon". How can this be? Does this come from some obscure claim made by Leland somewhere?

18. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Your first pic is from one of the Ewok movies, I guess. The loss of Endor's parent planet was later retconned into a hoax.

darklordoftech and VadersLaMent like this.
  19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I forgot all about Palpatine not knowing Yoda. One could make the argument that Palaptine was just playing with Luke. But that is a stretch.

20. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, the book does not say that the Emperor didn't know Yoda. Much to the contrary.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah, I can agree, it is a tad vague but not so contradictory.

22. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    Considering in the EU that Jabba's parent looks like below I have no problem with Him having had hair at one point and then getting the Hutt version of Alopecia and losing it.

[​IMG]

23. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    The book actually implies that he did know Yoda, because in the passage almost immediately afterward he makes fun of Yoda's speech.

darklordoftech, Rew, RC-1991 and 5 others like this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That whole scene in the book with Palpatine asking Luke about Yoda was brilliant. Why couldn't that have been in the movie?
    I also liked the part where Luke rolled or tossed his lightsaber to Vader before the whole Leia is Luke's sister reveal to Vader.
    In the movie you can see Vader holding a 2nd lightsaber and then Luke attacks.

25. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    They should have just filmed James Kahn's version, basically.