main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Return of the Jedi

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by J-Solo, Dec 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-Solo

J-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 1999
    Everybody has probably heard the story that says that the original title for episode VI was "The Revenge of the Jedi", but that Lucas decided to change it because "revenge" was not really a "jedi"-ish thing to do.

But now that the Lord of the Rings trilogy made to the big screen I was wondering...perhaps Lucas was paying (yet another) hommage to Tolkien with the title? I mean, "The Return of the King" is the final chapter in Tolkiens trilogy, as "Return of the Jedi" is the final chapter in Lucas's trilogy.

Has Lucas said anything about that? (or has he said the usual "it was always meant to be like that" thing? ;)

ps: and please, I'm NOT trying to start a LOTR X Star Wars thread, I'm just curious.

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I think he chose the title because the Jedi returned.

3. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
  4. I_AM_A_CLONER

I_AM_A_CLONER Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2003
    i think he did it because luke was returning to confront vader and his destiny and he was, or was on his way to becoming, a full fledged jedi knight....it also refers to the jedi order returning to the galaxy .....

....the cloner

5. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm rather tired of the "Lucas took stuff from LOTR!" threads. He took ideas from MANY things, yet this is the only one that gets much attention...

6. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Well, in all fairness he did steal "Endor." or else its a MASSIVE coincidence.

7. J-Solo

J-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 1999
    Hey, guys, TIME OUT.

1- of course I know the story of Return of the Jedi, and I KNOW the title is completely appropriate for the film. But I also know that the film was going to be called something else and that Lucas is a big fan of Tolkien, so he could have changed the name of the film as a tribute to Tolkien. (there's a lot of LOTR in Star Wars, like a wise "wizard" with long white beard, "dark lords", knights, a trilogy, etc)

2- As I said in my original post, this thread is not meant to be a "Lucas is a THIEF" kind of thread. There are tons of references in Star Wars that came from somewhere else (Foundation, DUNE, LOTR, old miths, etc), and that's ok.

8. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Well, in all fairness he did steal "Endor." or else its a MASSIVE coincidence.

Actually Tolkien took "Endor" from the Bible.

As I said in my original post, this thread is not meant to be a "Lucas is a THIEF" kind of thread.

I know...it still seems like that kind of thread though. Anything "borrowed" from that type of stuff is minor, not something like the whole title of the book. ;)

9. Knife

Knife Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2003
    I actualy remember seeing a spot for 'Revenge of the Jedi' on TV when I was a kid. IIRC, it was part of a disinfomation campaign.

10. Ivo

Ivo Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2002
    Its called Return of the Jedi because Darth Vader turns from the dark side to the light and became a jedi again.

11. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    It wasn't ripped from Return of the King. Luke became a full fledged Jedi, and Anakin finally redeemed himself. The Sith were defeated, so the Jedi were now able to return, starting with Luke. The only way you'll be able to accuse Lucas of stealing Tolkien titles is if he changes his CT titles to "The Fellowship of the New Hope" and "The Two Skywalkers".

lumberjedi is a sex-goddess

12. D_MaMBo

D_MaMBo Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2003
    You know, there is a difference between Homage and Theft.

Good stories pay tribute to what came before them.

13. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I always thought both were good titles. Each seems to sum up the final episode quite well. I don't think Lucas has ever said anything about his inspirations for the ROTJ title.

14. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Its just a title. Lucas did not call it that because of ROTK. Its just a title.

It amazes me when people think every minor little detail of every SW film has to have some kind of double meaning or symbolism.

Return of the Jedi.

Darth Vader was defeated, allowing the persona of Anakin Skywalker to RETURN.

Luke finished his training, becoming a knight, himself. The Jedi have RETURNED.

Its just a title...and an apt one at that.

15. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    It amazes me when people think every minor little detail of every SW film has to have some kind of double meaning or symbolism.

I completely agree.

16. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    "that Lucas is a big fan of Tolkien, so he could have changed the name of the film as a tribute to Tolkien. "

Who ever said Lucas likes Tolkien? Tolkien is a fool who could not write to save his life. In contrast Lucas is one of the greatest story tellers of all times. Big deal they both have Return of the.... Does it matter? I mean there are plenty of similar titles.

Are people saying "Hey I think Spider Man's title is a rip off of Superman!" No it is a title. And Endor/tree city is not the most orignal idea anyway.

Seldon

17. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Tolkien is a fool who could not write to save his life.

Where do you get that idea? He was a great writer, his style was much different than Lucas', which is fine with me.

And Endor/tree city is not the most orignal idea anyway.

Especially since it was a real place on our own planet of earth.

18. General_Windu

General_Windu Jedi Master star 1

Dec 20, 2003
    Lucas took nothing from Tolkin! Anyone that mentions LOTR should be banned. I am getting sick and tired of this so called rivalry! They are TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TYPES OF STORYS! Fantasy and Sci Fi...Midevil times and Some time for Star Wars!

19. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    "Lucas took nothing from Tolkin! Anyone that mentions LOTR should be banned. I am getting sick and tired of this so called rivalry! They are TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TYPES OF STORYS! Fantasy and Sci Fi...Midevil times and Some time for Star Wars!"

I agree with you 100%.

Ousley-My ideas on Tolkien were my opinions. That is just how I feel!

20. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Considering the amount of time he spent working on his novels and how in depth they are, calling him a "fool" is probably unjustified, no matter what you think of his story.

21. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    "Considering the amount of time he spent working on his novels and how in depth they are, calling him a "fool" is probably unjustified, no matter what you think of his story. "

Well he did spend a lot of time on his books, that is true.

They are in depth, that is true.

I don't like his story, that is true.

He is a fool, well that is my opinion and I have a right to it.

It is not unjustified in my opinion.

Seldon

22. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    How was he foolish, though?

Just because you don't like the story doesn't make him foolish.

23. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Ousley this thread did not have the intetion of debating Tolkien. But I will reply. I find Tolkien to be a fool because I hate his writing style as well as his ideas. It is my opinion and you have yours.

Seldon

24. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm not disrespecting your opinions, quit taking things so personally. I'm just inquiring. There are stories that I don't like...but that does not make the person a fool. It means I don't like their style.

The intention of the thread also wasn't to bash Tolkien, so I'm not seeing your point. ;)

25. General_Windu

General_Windu Jedi Master star 1

Dec 20, 2003
    Let me just say this...
    I would rather sit through Titanic then any of the three LOTR movies, and thats saying ALOT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.