main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Return of the Jedi's title: Singular or plural?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Forum_Trooper, Dec 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Great respnoce but I was ALSO thinking of the orig. title REVENGE of the Jedi... but that can go both ways also, never mind
    :)

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I posted this in another thread, and realized it would fit well in here as well.

George, did you expect some fans to respond negatively to your title, The Phantom Menace?

GL: If we were to go back to 1977 and I told the fans that I was going to title the first one, A New Hope, the fans would have the same reaction. They would be saying: "What kind of title is that?" Well, it's the one I want to use. These movies are truly timeless. Fifty years from now no one is going to care what I titled this film. There just going to know it as that Phantom Menace movie.

It seems that the title of Episode 1 and Episode 4 are somewhat parallel in structure, will the title of Episode 2 and Episode 5 also closely mirror one another?

GL: The first Star Wars movie I did was about this new hope who was going to seek his destiny and save the galaxy from tyrrany. The new Star Wars movie focuses on a phantom menace, which sets in motion certain events that create the need for a new hope some thirty years later. A New Hope is a positive title, which uses positive words, while The Phantom Menace uses negative words in order to convey a negative meaning. Thematically, these titles are polar opposites. Episode 2 focuses on the successes of the Jedi Knights during the Clone Wars while Episode 5 focuses on the successes of the Galactic Empire during their civil war with the rebels. Episode 3 is about the rise of the New Order, which is negative. In contrast, Episode 6 focuses on the return of the Jedi, which is positive. In the first trilogy, the first and third films had positive, feel good titles while the middle film had a negative title, which notes that the bad guys are in control. For the new trilogy, the first and third movies will have titles that have words that arouse a negative feeling and the second film will have a positively worded title to reflect the successes of the good guys.

Have you selected the titles for Episode 2 and 3?

GL: Yes.

Can you share those titles with us?

GL: Not yet.

Are the titles that you will use for the Prequel Trilogy the ones that you came up with back in the 1970's?

GL: Yes. The titles to these new films have been in my head for over 25 years.

So this is the final title for Episode 1?

GL: I'm going to use the title that I first came up with over 25 years ago.

If The Phantom Menace were to perform poorly at the box office, will you still make the next two films?

GL: No one can guarantee what's going to happen next summer, but everyone at Lucasfilm is working on this film as hard as possible. That's what we did on the first three and things turned out well. Regardless of what happens, I'll complete the new trilogy.
    - LINK

Note all the plural pronouns. ROTJ can definitely refer to the Order, as well as Luke and Anakin.

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Yep. I agree. Its got a few meanings. Its definitely plural. ;)

4. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    (You're missing some commas ;) )

5. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    *doesn't care*

:p

I figured you're call me out on those fragments. Oh well. Too bad for you. I don't care. I'm tired.

6. JEDI_MASTER_MARIANA

JEDI_MASTER_MARIANA Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 30, 2003
    DUH! It totally means the return of the jedi in plural! Yes or No: Did the jedi return after Luke defeated and redeemed Anakin? YES!

DLM Edit: I agree with the MeBeJedi on this issue.

7. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    JEDI_MASTER_MARIANA, take it easy on the taunts. It's not a good way for a n00b to establish a reputation.

8. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    It could be either one.

Singular: Anakin's return to the light side.

Plural: Luke defeating Vader and becoming the last Jedi, AND starting a whole new generation of the Knights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.