main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Return of the King disappointment? ( may contain spoilers)

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Wolf, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Now, my comment is not meant to take away from the work need to bring a screenplay to life, just, in my opinion and others I'm sure, is that adapting books and such has many more challeges.

And Lelila! shame, throwing cats! toss a dog, they're more expendable! ;)

(sorry, both my cats took serious offence!)

2. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    LOL I know Ken, I just happened to agree that in a way it is a lot harder to bring a book to the big screen because a whole different set of problems are presented.

Okay, I'll toss a dog instead, cuz you're right :p. I just threw a cat because that's what I had on my lap at the time. LOL!

3. The_Last_Warrior

The_Last_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 2

May 6, 2002

Re: Legolas' takedown of the elephant (no, I'm not calling it an oli-whatever) I have to defend that. No offense Ken, but I found it believable, as his grace and ease of step (think walking on snow in Fellowship) was probably how he was able to do the walking on the elephant thing. He's not a normal man. He's a superhuman Elf, with cool powers, and of the Elves, he's a warrior Prince; he's the best of the best. And he used 3 arrows to shoot the elephant in the back of the neck, not one. ;) But, I agree, I thought he would have used his long knives rather than anything else....*that* was a little sketchy.

Re: Cats being thrown in my direction....

Sorry Debs, but hobbits, and all things hobbit, and all things even remotely close to being hobbit are *numerous harsh,derogatory, explicative deleted words*. ;)

4. OddlingChild

OddlingChild Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2003
    to put it simply, my favourite movie still has a u boat in it.

5. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    But, the Millenium Falcon isn't a U-Boat!?

6. Bertramtalespinner

Bertramtalespinner Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 24, 2000
    YOU DO BETTER!!!

7. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Must be Finding Nemo

8. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    I just saw that the other day!
    Oooo! He touched the butt!

9. OddlingChild

OddlingChild Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2003
    finding nemo? hmm, wasnt what i had in mind.

10. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    King was good but I enjoyed TT better there was more character development and less urgency. There were some nice touches with the singing and the civilians throwing flowers at the soldiers feet. I just wish the crowning of Aragorn scene was longer and the really soppy goodbye scene shorter (by this point some guy behind me yelled in a moaning voice - does this movie never end?).

Next time throw the dwarf! (but not a word to the elf.)

11. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

*hits wolf with fish* :p

its 4am...just saw movie...movie good.

sleep now....

okay...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

12. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    so this is where everyone is posting... I'll have to come to this forum more often (having never visited the Toronto Forum before...)

I have to say I loved this movie the best.
    There were parts missing, but there are parts missing from every book/movie.
    I did miss the house of healing and definately Sarumon, but there was one part I missed more than the rest, Hobbiton.

The whole "Scouring of the Shire" is just not there, nor is electing Frodo Mayor. And where is Sharkey? PLUS->

*pulls book out of inaccessable bookshelf just to quote correctly*

From Appendix B: Later events concerning the members of the Fellowship of the Ring

s.r.1484 Death of Mistress Rose, wife of Master Samwise, on Mid-year's day. On September 22 Master Samwise rides out from Bag End. He comes to the Tower Hills, and is last seen by Elanor, to whom he gives the red book afterwards kept by the Fairbairns. Among them the tradition is passed down from Elanor that Samwise passed the Towers, and went to the Grey Havens, and passed over the Sea, the last of the Ring-bearers.

Plus, as already mentioned, Gimli and Legolas go to the Grey Havens. Then how can the ship the ring-bearers leave on be the "last" ship? Also, did anyone actually hear them mention that Elrond and Gandalf were ring-bearers? You see Gandalf's ring, but unless you can remember the opening scenes of the Fellowship, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Otherwise, I liked the battle better than Helm's Deep, and I thought they did a very good job of having Frodo give in to the ring at the last minute, and Gollum taking things into his own hands, so to speak. I was somewhat nervous of how they would show a bitten-off finger, but it was well done.

13. Jedi_Samwise_Gamgee

Jedi_Samwise_Gamgee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    THIS POST IS FULL OF SPOILERS! NOTHING BUT! :D Sorry to those who haven't seen, but I'm warning you now...

I thought is was awsome! I was in the theatre for the first show of it. 12:01 am making it officially the 17th. I never read the books, so I only have one side, I do know that Shelob (if that's how you spell it) was supposed to be in the second one, but I thought it was carefully put in well enough... it all worked out... to me.

I thought alot of it was funny and serious. But what I didn't like... was when Frodo woke up and he saw Gandalf sitting there. Gandalf starts laughing than Frodo. That was the worst laugh I have ever hear from him. (Frodo) It was fake and it was corny and it was crap.

I thought Samwise was very good. When Frodo told him to go home, he just broke down (Samwise). It was very realistic. It wasn't a corny cliche noble cry, it was more realistic. Of course, Samwise is my favourite character. heh... that doesn't suprise any of you. What I thought was funny was when Frodo and Samwise dressed up in Mordor, Samwise still carried his pots and pans!

I thought it was funny when Legolas killed the elifant (I have no clue how to spell it, because it's pronounced differently than how we say it... ) all by himself, and Gimili says: "That still only counts as one!" LoL Also when you see the green ghost army people swarming over the other one. That was funny.

I could go on forever, or well for a little while longer about Eowen ("I am no man!"), the hobbits, Gandalf and Pippin ("Actually, I thinks it's best if you don't say anything at all") and Aragorn, Gimili, and Legolas. But I don't have time.

So, I think RotK was a little more stronger than the Two Towers because of Sam and Frodo and Gollum. (Shelob as well) There was still a blattle. Helms Deep was more intense than the one in RotK because they had less of a chance, until Gandalf came with more people, but that's just like in RofK. So, I'm not sure anymore... Well, I like RotK a little bit better than Two Towers.

14. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Don't forget, that when Frodo sees Gandalf when he wakes up, he is utterly surprised, as he believes to that point that Gandalf fell in Moria... I believe the line in the book goes something along the lines of "is everything that was bad being undone, then?"

I think my favorite line has got to be:

"My friends... you bow to noone"

15. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    OMG! Indy, you're absolutely right!
    I didn't even think that Frodo would still think Gandalf dead!

16. Jedi_Samwise_Gamgee

Jul 11, 2002
    I know that. In the second movie he dreamt of Gandalfs death. You know, reliving the moment because it haunts him. But it was his acting. That laugh was just... well, I can't explain.. one of those old, over done, corny, REALLY OBVIOUSLY FAKE! He acted much better throughout the movie, but not there. Nope. Not to me, or all of the other people there with me. But it didn't ruin anything for me. I just didn't like the laugh.

17. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I will agree with you. Sean Astin did an AMAZING job.

18. Jedi_Samwise_Gamgee

Jul 11, 2002
    He's my favourite! If I am ever in charge of a movie, I'd find a good role for him!

19. Dain_Bramage

Dain_Bramage Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    He's come a long way since the Goonies.

20. Jedi_Samwise_Gamgee

Jul 11, 2002
    What?! He was? That's why he seems so familiar...

who was he? I don't think he was the fat one... because he had to gain wait, which he kept losing by the end of the year, to be Samwise...

21. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    He was in Encino Man too. I've never seen the Goonies... I was terrified by the dead body right at the beginning and then a skeleton not long after that.

(Those who know me well know I have a PHOBIA of the dead)

Speaking of the dead, I hadn't realised that the people in the mountain pass (I forget what they were called) were actually ghosts. I was NOT prepared for that, and since I went by myself, I had noone to... aahhh... tell me when they were gone. [face_blush]

22. Dain_Bramage

Dain_Bramage Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    In Goonies, Sean Astin was the main character, Mikey Walsh (not the fat kid). For those who never seen Goonies, go rent it...it's actually still pretty entertaining.

Sean Astin was never a chubby guy until he prepared for the role as Samwise.

23. Jedi_Samwise_Gamgee

Jul 11, 2002
    I was just saying that... about the weight thing. You know, Samwise kept losing the weight he gained by the end of the year and had to gain it again and again. LoL He is so thin in the Goonies..

Wow! Really? That's why he looks so familiar now... WOW!! THANKS!

24. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Another "fat kid" irony concerning Seas Astin was from the movie "War of the Roses," with Mike Douglas.

Sean played his son if I remember correctly.

In the backstory, Douglas's character was arguing with his wife about giving the boy and his sister too much candy, whereas the wife replied that if they didn't get their fare share at childhood, that they'd yearn for it as adult and get obesse.

The joke is that at one point the kids balloned up, only to loose the pounds in their late teens, the boy was played by Sean.

25. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.