main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Return of the King disappointment? ( may contain spoilers)

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Wolf, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Samwise_Gamgee

Jedi_Samwise_Gamgee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Wow, I'd like to see that movie... Sounds funny.. LoL

2. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001

OUTSIDE MINAS TIRITH
    Black Ships sail up, with ARAGORN, LEGOLAS, GIMLI, and DEAD PEOPLE aboard, and save the day.
    AUDIENCE: Oh, come on. Orlando Bloom as the token pretty-boy on a ship full of ghosts - yeah, we saw that over the summer. Next!

[face_laugh]

I also loved the Eowyn/Aragorn princess Bride reference, that was brilliant

AUDIENCE: November?? (crumples to the ground, weeping) You rip out my heart and tear it to shreds and mash it into the sticky popcorn on the theater floor, and then try to console me with freaking outtakes in freaking November?? I hate you, I hate you...I hate you...(*sniffle*)...Can we come back and see it again tomorrow?
    PETER JACKSON: Of course you can, precious

3. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I really like Pirate of the Caribbean

4. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    So do I, I just thought that was funny ;)

5. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    well, I do have to admit that watching RotK after reading that parody made some things funny when they weren't supposed to be.... Like Legolas on the ship, and when Legolas said "A diversion."

6. Jedi_Kat

Jedi_Kat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2002
    It's taken me a while, but as Resident PHF, I guess I'm required by some law somewhere to reply to any LOTR-related post here...

With regards to comments made previously, but in no special order:

1) Peter Jackson did a brilliant job of adapting the books into the movies. I don't see how anyone can say that any other director could've done the same, because that's just phooey. With the vision of any other director, LOTR would not have been the same, and most likely wouldn't have turned out so well. Most directors wouldn't have chosen to film all three films at once, or try to remain as true to the books as possible, WHILE adapting it to today's society and short attention span and obvious need for action. And yes, I say PJ DID the adapting himself, because he was one of the screenwriters.

2) Of course there are going to be pieces of the books missing from the movies!!! The average film goer can't sit for three hours watching a movie much less the three and half that ROTK lasted for. The whole point of the theatrical version (in addition to sticking to the time limits imposed by the industry) is to tell the story in such a way that both Tolkienites and tolien virgins alike can both understand and follow the story and still convey as much as possible. The DVDs are for those who have read the books and for those who just want more! I'd say PJ did a teriffic job in those three and a half hours, and really, you can't complain about it.

3) I think the omission of the Scouring of the Shire was a good idea. Not only have the hobbits been through enough angst, but the audience is pretty much worn out emotionally as well by the time Frodo destroyed the Ring, so I think it was a good move! REading and watching are two different things, remember, I can always put the book down and cheer myself up and then return to the horrid Scouring of the Shire, whereas in the theatre, the closest I can come is to going to the bathroom or leaving the theatre, but really...WHO would do that (especially in a LOTR movie!...unless it's an Arwen scene)???

4) Yes, Sean Astin should've been nominated for Best Suporting Actor!!!! Boo to the Academy!!!

5)I don't think the average theatre goer needs to know that Elrond and Gandalf were ring bearers at the end to understand why they and Celeborn were leaving Middle-EArth when they did. It was enough to know that the most powerful and mighty of the elves were finally leaving, and the White Wizard as well. It shows that a new age has started. That THIS story has ended.

6) Also, with regards to the above, it states in the books (appendices, or maybe in the Silmarillion appendix, or maybe one of the History of Middle-Earth books, I can't remember exactly where) that Gimli and Legolas set sail in a smaller boat, one that is Legolas'. So, it is still true that the Ring Bearers left on the last boat for Middle Earth AT THAT TIME! Geez...how many times can people say, I missed the last bus OF THAT DAY, etc.??? Don't be so literal! And yes, Sam does sail off to Valanor as well, as he too was a Ring-Bearer, if only for a few minutes.

And that's all I have to say right now...

Kat, your resident PHF!

7. Ob1-Ob2-Ob3

Ob1-Ob2-Ob3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2004
    I thought that the movie was terrific and that it was a satisfying ending to the trilogy. One of my favourite parts was Pippin singing, that sounded good!

One problem with the ROTK was that it seemed to go on forever. I mean seriously, the screen would fade out three or four times at the end but there would always be one more scene.

Another problem with the film is that I never gor to see what happened to Saruman. Apparently he got locked in that tower or something like that. Was this extended in the book? I'm a busy guy so I haven't had time to read them yet.

Peace out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.