main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN Return of the King - LOTR Marathon DEC 16

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Kir Kanos, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    Buy your tickets for The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Screening starting this Thursday on October 9th for the Dec 16th marathon!
    Thats right 2 months ahead of time! Theaters were just announced and the only theater in the entire greater Nashville area showing it is non other than Carmike's Thoroughbred 10. If you have extra vacation time to take than this would be a great day to take one. I know I am!

These are the Extended Editions of the Fellowship of the Ring & the Two Towers too, not the theatrical versions, so we're talking 3 hours + for each movie. ROTK will be playing at 11:00 p.m., so it would probably be safe to say that this marathon won't begin until mid afternoon on the 16th. I'm going to take 1/2 a day on the 16th & 1/2 a day on th 17th (to sleep in).

"From December 5 - 11, the studio will release 100-150 35mm prints of the Special Extended Edition of The Fellowship of the Ring in cities across the country. On December 12 - 15, these prints will be replaced with Special Extended Edition prints of The Two Towers. On Monday, December 8, and Monday, December 15, both films will be presented back-to-back. Then, on Tuesday, December 16, participating theaters will show a one-time-only marathon of both Extended Edition prints followed by an 11pm screening of The Lord of the Rings"

2. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Count me in!

3. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Great! Anybody else feel that they will be up for 9 hours of LOTR? Zach? Matt?

I know its early, and that most people don't know about it yet, but I'm going to go get my ticket at the box office tomorrow anyway just to get it done so I don't forget. Knowing the Thoroughbred, they will have this in the largest theater and if it sells out, they will open up another. Its just going to depend on how many prints they have of the movie too. However, I would bet that they will have no less than 4 prints. Also, remember last year Dylan? They had 2,000 + people show up for the premiere of TTT. I doubt they will have that many people for the all day marathon, but the college kids will just have finished up finals and will most likely be looking for something to do, other than Christmas shopping.

4. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, if y'all are going then I'll do it too. I haven't even seen ANY version of TTT yet, but I'll get the extended version when it comes out on DVD next month.

I graduate on Dec. 13, so like you said Scott, I'll be done with college (MBA) by then. I'll pencil it in so no audits are scheduled that day. I know this will be a future thread, but I also plan to do Hama's annual wing ding later this year too. Just thought I'd throw in my reservation now. :D

5. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Just an FYI --

The LOTR marathon tickets are $35 apiece. Pretty expensive, although you are getting about 12 hours' worth of movies for that ticket.

(I got mine earlier today.)

6. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    I didn't make it to the theater yesterday as I got super busy at work. However, I'm definitely going to get mine today. Do we get a collectible with those tickets too or at least free popcorn? GEEZ! Do you realize thats almost $12 a movie :eek: . That price is definitely going to deter some people, not me, but some other people.

7. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Whoa, $35!! Well, I'm not going to race out to plunck down the bucks for right now (isn't the IMAX only $11 (as if that wasn't robbery too)). But I still plan to join in the insanity in the long-run. :p

[Mumbles to self]...that's like 7 SW figures before tax.

8. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Well, it is for almost the whole day & its a one time deal. I think they do it this way, because its in theater no. 5 which is a 500+ seat theater that will only be showing 3 films that day. Its probably has a lot to do with the studios deal with the movie theater chains in order to reserve these theaters. Its worth the extra money to me. I picked up my ticket yesterday. I was ticket no. 15 . I'm sure most people don't know about it yet. The first showing doesn't start until 2:15 p.m. (FOTR), TTT @ 6:30 p.m. & ROTK @ 11:00 p.m. It looks as if there will be a little time to go get some dinner between TTT & ROTK (or in my case to go take my dog for a walk).

I hope Lucasfilm does the same for the prequels, but I have to say that I hope its a tad cheaper.

9. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    Is the Throughbred not selling the tickets to those movies separately? Seems odd if they don't because there will definitely be some people who only want to watch certain ones.

10. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Read the entire posts Jay ;) :p

AGAIN:

"From December 5 - 11, the studio will release 100-150 35mm prints of the Special Extended Edition of The Fellowship of the Ring in cities across the country. On December 12 - 15, these prints will be replaced with Special Extended Edition prints of The Two Towers. On Monday, December 8, and Monday, December 15, both films will be presented back-to-back. Then, on Tuesday, December 16, participating theaters will show a one-time-only marathon of both Extended Edition prints followed by an 11pm premiere screening of The Return of the King"

Are you going to be able to join us? :)
    or do you still have to teach then :(

BTW, they have notices posted up at the Thoroughbred that there will be NO REFUNDS for the LOTR marathon, so unless $35 is not a big deal to you make sure that you are definitely going before purchasing your ticket. If you lose your ticket, you are SOL too.

Also, the full trailer for LOTR ROTK just came out. you can view it at The official Lord of the Rings Website. It looks SAAAAWWWWWEEEEEEET! I'm getting really excited to see the movie now. IT WILL BE A (LONG) DAY LONG REMEMBERED. ;)

11. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    I get the back-to-back part, but I just wanted to know if the movies could be purchased separately. Since I don't live in Nashville any longer and can't go by and ask myself, I'll just take that as a 'no'. ;)

Besides, that's a wee-bit expensive for me and the family. Sorry Scott, doubt we'll be there. :(

12. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    You still didn't read it Jay :eek: .

YES, they are showing them separately. FOTR extended edition is showing for one week, then TTT is showing for the next. Then they are going to play them back to back for two non-consecutive Mondays. (don't ask me why they chose Monday either). Then on Dec 16 they are playing all three consecutively for ONE time only.

I dont' know if the extended versions are limited to those same theaters as the marathon or not, you'll have to check in your area I guess. The only one I saw listed in AR was Rave Motion Picture Colonel Glenn 18 in Little Rock. As far as prices for tickets go for the separate movie showings, I have no idea. If all else fails there is always the DVD extended editions, but its just not the same as watching them in a theater on the big screen.

13. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    The showings sold out here in Atlanta by 8:00 AM on Friday morning. :(

Oh well, I guess I'll be watching the Extended Editions on DVD and then heading to the theater to see ROTK.

14. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Geez dude, that isn't what I asked. I asked if they could be BOUGHT separately, not SHOWN! I know they have to show them one after the other to be a marathon! [face_laugh]

I understood the whole dillo on when/where/etc. It just didn't say in there that you could purchase the individual tickets for each movie in the marathon (just in case you didn't want to see them all).

As far as prices for tickets go for the separate movie showings, I have no idea.

Ahhh.. all I needed. ;) My point was that it might be cheaper to just buy them individually as opposed to the whole marathon ticket. That's all. :)

15. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    AHHH! Didn't realize that you meant the tickets for the movies during the marathon being purchased separately. In that case NO. Sorry for the misunderstanding Jay. ;)

Wow Minacia! sorry to hear that you didn't get your ticket. They are also showing FOTR & TTT back to back on consecutive Mondays in December. Did you ask them about those showings selling out? I didn't realize that there were that many die-hard LOTR fans in Atlanta. Perhaps they are GT students who will be done with finals by then. Maybe they'll open up another theater. You may want to check again this week. I know that here at the Thoroughbred, if they sold out one theater, they would be pushing to open up another theater. They do it for premieres, but I don't know if they would be willing to do the same for this. You could always take the day off and drive up and visit us. :) Its only a 4 hour drive. We would enjoy having you visit.

16. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Thanks for the invite. :)

One of the guys in my chapter mentioned that one of the theaters here in town might sell more tickets, since they sold out so quickly. I hope that it is true.

And there is quite a large LOTR fan base here in Atlanta. They're hard to find until LOTR movie tickets go on sale...then they suddenly come rushing out of the woodwork. ;)

17. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    I heard today that the Thoroughbred is COMPLETELY SOLD OUT for the LOTR marathon too. It would appear that everyone went and got their tickets this weekend for it. I tried to find it on fandango & it was crossed out, so I called and confirmed it and they said that they are only allowed one showing for this and that they will NOT be opening up another theater for the Marathon. :( Not even Episode II sold out a theater at the Thoroughbred this fast! I thought for sure that the $35 would deter people. Evidently the answer is NOT one bit.

Well Dylan, it looks like we had better get there early if we want good seats.

18. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Well guys I still haven't gotten a ticket. Dylan, want to sell me the extra ticket you bought? Otherwise maybe the rest of us can do a mini marathon of the FOTR & TTT extended versions via the DVDs.

19. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Smart guy that Dylan! ;) If I had known it was going to sell out this fast, I would have bought an extra ticket too.

20. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    No problem. I'll bring the ticket to the Halloween party if you want to buy it off of me.

I would have bought more for everyone, but you know... $35...

21. obi-TN

obi-TN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    Trilogy tickets sold out in a matter of hours in all 99 locations. There will not be additional showings added. Tickets are going for as much as $760 a pair on eBay for the D.C. showing.

There is one auction for Nashville for 3 tickets. Currently, there are no bids and it is at $36/ticket. If two other people are still interested in going and want to combine forces for this auction, please notify me ASAP. Be sure to tell me how much you are willing to spend.

--Glenn

22. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    WOW! Over $700! That's insane. THAT'S CHRISTMAS SHOPPING MONEY!!! :D Are there celebrities showing up to this thing too? Maybe they are serving Lembas bread & some hobbit ale too! [face_laugh]

Well, I hope you are able to get those tickets at cost. Like I said, if I had known they were going to sell out that fast, I would have bought an extra ticket. If all else fails, you could buy all 3 and I'm certain you could find 2 people by Dec 16th who would be interested in purchasing them from you. If you have the resources to spare I would go for it! ;)

23. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    I just looked on ebay out of curiosity and 2 tickets for LOTR Trilogy Tuesday in Boston are over $340! Evidently there are some Harvard lawyers bidding on these that have too much money.

I didn't see any for Nashville at this time. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few people scalping outside the theater the day of the show. Is that legal in Tennessee officer Kinney? ?[face_plain]

24. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Scalping is totally legal in this state, but the movie theater could always kick the scalpers off their property, so you can pick up the tickets on your way in.

I didn't realize that the films started in the afternoon and only took off the 16th and have an audit on the 17th. Was worried, but then realized I can sleep the day away before showtime! Just be a little groggy the next day, nothing new.

25. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Yeah, thats going to be an easy week for me. I'm only working 2-1/2 days that week. :D AND, 1-1/2 days is for Trilogy Tuesday. Then its off for Christmas vacation!!!

Speaking of which, I just found out that me and my fellow employees have been enrolled in the jelly of the month club (if you take my meaning). :( Its going to be a lean Christmas.

"Gee Clark, that's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year long."

And After Christmas our department gets move down stairs in our building to a space with no windows, very low light conditions & less work space than we have right now. Yippie!!!

"I'm going to need you to move your work space down to storage room "B"....yeah, cause we need to make room for all these boxes. While you're down there, can you help us get rid of the roach problem? Thanks."
    - "Office Space"

Next thing ya know, they're going to want to take my stapler. [face_laugh]

-And the hits just keep on coming...

Well at least I have a job (knocks on wood) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.