main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN Return of the King - LOTR Marathon DEC 16

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Kir Kanos, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    In my job the X-mas party IS the X-mas bonus. But we traditionally get 3 days for X-Mas depending upon the mood of the Governor. Luckily Phil came through for us once again!

2. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    Yeah, I kind of doubt I'll be in the happy happy joy joy mood to attend another corporate Christmas party this year. I just found out yesterday that the actual date is on Saturday now instead of on a work night as was originally foretold.

Our Christmas party keeps getting stuffier & more anally corporate every year. Ours was at Union Station last year. The year before that it was at the old Mere bulles downtown. They always try to book it at some fancy restaurant downtown Nashville that requires a coat and tie and charges a rediculous price a plate for a fancy meal that would only satisfy a child. Then have the corporate kiss butt give some B.S. speech about company goals, mission statements, and oh lets all give our glorious leader a round of applause for making it a Merry Christmas for us all. Last year's was so "put on" that I had to pinch myself to keep from laughing out loud. Needless to say, I left right afterwards. I know I should be grateful, but honestly, I think everyone would rather have the money in their Christmas stocking and forego the fancy show at the end of the year. I know I would.

Sorry to get off topic.

On topic, going to the LOTR marathon is something I am looking forward to immensely. It will be a nice way to finish out the year and help me "RING" in the new year! :p

Its hard to believe that its been over two year since we saw the first teaser for LOTR:

LOTR:
    Fellowship of the Ring - Christmas 2001
    The Two Towers - Christmas 2002
    The Return of the King - Christmas 2003

Dare I say it, but Peter Jackson is now my all time favorite director! :) Move over Lucasfilm.

3. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Dare I say it, but Peter Jackson is now my all time favorite director! Move over Lucasfilm.

Thou speakest blasphemy there, Brother Kanos. :p

4. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Ah, but how many other Star Wars fans would agree with me. Quite a few I imagine. BTW, I said "Director". Lucas is also a writer. Peter Jackson is only retelling the Tolkien books in a slightly different way, but his directing skills are obviously superb. IMHO the only movie that Lucas directed that stands out in the realm of science fiction fantasy is the original Star Wars. American Grafitti was of course great too, but thats like comparing apples & oranges. Episodes I & II leave a little something to be desired in that department.

I also think that Peter Jackson has had a better selection of seasoned actors. (Ian McKlellan, Christopher Lee (also in EP2 & EP3), Kate Blanchet, Vigo Mortenson, Miranda Otto, Sean Astin, John Rhys Davies & Orlando Bloom (a beginner who is now getting roles left & right) etc...) I mean the cast list for LOTR almost reads as a whos who of talent in Hollywood. Many of them are also Shakespearean trained actors. Although Star Wars has had its share including of course Harrison Ford, the late Alec Guiness, the late Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Ian McDiarmid, & Ewan McGregor. I'm still undecided about Natalie Portman being one of those top billed actresses. So far I've been unimpressed. I also think that Hayden Christenson needs to take different diverse roles to expand his horizons like Harrison Ford did, or he will end up following in the footsteps of Mark Hamil and forever be branded as one of the Skywalker clan.

"Strike me down & I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

5. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    I think we have a winner for the most expensive pair of LOTR Trilogy Tuesday tickets on eBay at $1299 with 8 days left to go in the auction. :eek: This showing is of course located in Hollywood California:

"THE SEATS ARE RESERVED

These seats (FF-22, FF-23) are located in the very center of the last row of the front section. In the seating chart provided, look for the little RED DOT. An employee of the Arclight described these seats to me as the best seats in the house

Here in LA there are rumors talking about cast appearances and limited edition giveaways but this hasn't been confirmed"

6. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    While I agree that Lucas' latest trilogy doesn't have the same "magic" per se as the originals, I definitely would not place Jackson over him. I was looking at his filmography, and while he did strike gold with the LOTR trilogy (granted it is a retelling), his past movies are little to be desired. Can we say... the Frighteners? OMG! Okay, that was a joke of a movie to me. [face_laugh]

7. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    While I agree that Lucas' latest trilogy doesn't have the same "magic" per se as the originals, I definitely would not place Jackson over him. I was looking at his filmography, and while he did strike gold with the LOTR trilogy (granted it is a retelling), his past movies are little to be desired. Can we say... the Frighteners? OMG! Okay, that was a joke of a movie to me. [face_laugh]

8. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    I'm comparing current events here. Its my personal opinion. I don't expect most of you here to agree with me. However, IMHO, if performances from reportedly good actors are lacking, then whos fault is it? I would tend to say its the Director's. Also, if you ask any of the actors from the original Star Wars movie how GL compared with other directors they worked with, I very higly doubt that they would say he is the best, or even in the top 3. GL had a vision, there is no doubt about that, but just saying, "Faster. more intense" all the time with very little feedback does not a good director make. GL's strength is in creating the story lines and having a broadscoped vision. As he says, he sees things generalized in a fog, but leaves the details up to other artists and professionals. However, when he sees something he likes or dislikes he knows it. His strength is definitely NOT in writing detailed dialogue and in my personal opinion directing. That is one of the reasons why Indiana Jones was so successful, you had GL writing the story lines, Spielberg directing, and Harrison Ford ad libbing where it was necessary. They make a perfect team.

I've seen the so far released making of documentaries for LOTR & it just seems like Peter Jackson is a lot more invovled. He shoots scenes from every different angle and vocal tonality pitch. It wears the actors out sometimes, but the end result is a film that is the best it can be. Yes, he has talented people working for him just as GL does. However, it just seems like from what I've seen of the prequels & LOTR, that the performances, the camera angles, and even the choice of when and when NOT to use digital effects are arguably better in LOTR than they are in Episodes I & II. I think GL has also gone off the deep end with the blue screen / computer graphic effects, whereas Peter Jackson prefers to use highly detailed to scale models or elaborately built sets then totally relying on digital technology. He only uses that when he absolutely needs to.

9. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Perhaps instead of doing "King Kong" or "The Hobbit," we can get Peter Jackson to redo Episode I & II. He'd probably get an orc to eat Jar-Jar within the first few minutes that Binks' got screentime. Hey if Spielberg gets too busy with Historical projects maybe Jackson could direct and GL could crank out ideas and storylines?? Just think of what could happen ?[face_plain] ?[face_plain]

I still dig directors like Kevin Smith, Bryan Singer, the Coen brothers, and to a lesser degree (TN's own) Quinton Tarantino. While it says directed by GL I always feel like he's more of the conductor of the whole thing rather than a traditional director. He hasn't done the "Faster, more intense" side of directing since ROTJ has he?

10. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Oh, I agree with a lot you've said, Scott. GL churned out some great movies in his time, and I honestly believe he will make up for a lot in the next one, but I doubt it can make up for I & II. It'd be interesting to see what Spielberg and Lucas could have done together on these prequels. I've always wondered what type of movie they could present with those two working cohesively on this. Ahh, well, we can always wonder I suppose. I hate to sound pre-Episode II-ish, but maybe Lucas will redeem some of the luster the originals gave us long ago. // shrugs //

11. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    I just wish GL would put out "Extended Edition" DVD's with the deleted scenes reincorporated into the movie like the LOTR movies.

Maybe in a few years when SW DVD sales taper off...

12. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    The IMDB had a story out today about the marathon. According to the news story it looks like we might get a keepsake something for our ticket price. Here's the story they had:

Scalpers are doing a land-office business in tickets for the marathon screening of Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, preceded by expanded versions of the original Rings films, scheduled in 99 cities on Dec. 16. Today's (Wednesday) New York Daily News reported that tickets that sold for $30 when they were distributed at the Loews E-Walk theater on 42nd Street last Oct. 9 are now fetching as much as $350. The newspaper said that many marathoners are planning to show up at theaters exhibiting the trilogy as early as 7:00 a.m. to stake out the best seats -- even though the first screening doesn't begin until noon. The Daily News also reported that there will be "a big surprise" for fans at every theater.

13. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    hmmm..now even I'm intriged...I guess you've all already purchesed your tickets?

14. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Scott, Zach, and I have tickets. I think we were the only three that were able to get them before they sold out (which didn't take long).

15. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    They are going for more than double the price right now. I've been watching ebay and there is one ticket that is currently going for $76. Other than that I haven't seen hardly any for the Thoroughbred show up. The tickets went on sale October 9th & were sold out by the 11th. It makes me wish I had bought at least a couple like Dylan did. They are only allowed one theater (seats 500+) & will NOT be opening up any more for this special showing.

However, starting on Dec 5th- 11th, the Extended edition of Fellowship will be showing. From the 11th to the 15th, the Two Towers Extended edition will be showing. There will be a midnight showing of Return of the King at the Thoroughbred on the 16th. However we three will be getting to see it an hour earlier at 11:00 p.m.

16. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Well, once again the price exceeded $100 for the LOTR movie ticket. People seem to be desperate to get these. I guess we had better get there early on the 16th Dylan & Zach. Since I live only minutes away, I'll plan on going over about 8:00 a.m. and asessing the line-up status. I'll give you guys a hollar once in starts up. Even if we are number 50 in line, we should still get decent seats (3/4 way back & central).

17. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    LOTR Fellowship has started already at the Thoroughbred. If you haven't seen this Extended version on DVD, it is outstanding and well worth a matinee ticket price (or even purchasing on DVD). Times are:

12:00 PM
    4:15 PM
    8:30 PM

18. obi-TN

obi-TN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    Contrary to what was announced months ago, I can find no theater that is showing FOTR and TTT back-to-back on Dec 8 or Dec 15. I just called Thoroughbred 20 and the person I spoke with knew nothing about it.

Anybody out there no anything more?

19. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Sorry. :( Evidently they are not participating in the back to back showing that is mentioned on the website. I assumed they were since they are showing all 3 movies back to back to back on the 16th. There is no telling why they wouldn't be participating in that other than good 'ol Carmike corporate management opted not to.

20. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    I found a contest offering free tickets to the midnight Return of the King showing. 105.9 (The Rock) is sponsoring it.

[link=http://www.1059.com/lordoftherings.html]official website[/link]

Attention Lord of the Rings fans, here's your chance to win rare Lord of the Rings merchandise, and the chance to see the movie with your friends before anyone else!
    30 of you will qualify to put your hands on the glass at Carmike Cinema's Rivergate 8 on Friday, December 12th at 6pm, All 30 will win a replica of "The Ring" from the Lord of the Rings.

-3rd Place wins a Sterling Silver Broach just like the one in the movie, and Two tickets to the Midnight showing on December 16th.

-2nd place wins a Sterling Silver Broach, and a holograph "Ring" light and 5 passes to the Midnight showing an December 16th.

-1st place wins a Sterling Silver Broach, and a holograph "Ring" light, a replica of the sword in the movie, and 10 passes to the Midnight showing an December 16th, and 2 tickets to the Trilogy at the Thoroughbred Carmike. Plus watch Movies for a year to the Rivergate 8!

Answer the questions below to qualify!

Question #1
    Who is the writer of the Lord of the Rings and founding father of the Middle-Earth Saga?

Question #2
    Frodo and Bilbo are what?

Question #3
    Bilbo and Frodo come from a place called...?

Question #4
    What is Strider's real name?

Question #5
    Fill in the Blank.
    "Three rings for the Elven-Kings under the sky, __________ for the Dwarf-Lords in their Halls of Stone.

Email all 5 answers to markpetty@clearchannel.com with the subject "Lord of the Rings Answers"

[hr]
    (no, it's not the marathon, but it would still be worth seeing it early, especially for free)

21. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Do they realize that if you win two passes to the trilogy showing at the Throughbred and 10 passes to the midnight premiere at Rivergate 8, you would have to be in two places at the same time? DOH! :eek:

Well, I answered them correctly. I'll take first place please. :D Its the least they can do for the way they handled our Episode II premiere. And Yes, that WAS Mark Petty who showed up at the Thoroughbred in the hummer & blasted their music over the imperial march when Skip came walking in with his troops. What a DORK he is! Its probably all political anyway. We shall see.

22. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, I got an email invitation to come by the Rivergate 8 tomorrow night for the "Hands on the Glass" promotion. Did everyone get this or am I just one of the lucky 30? If this is one of those whoever stays the longest kind of things I'll probably lose since I've got graduation early the next morning to get to. I just wondered if I made it to a select level of only a few people. If so, then I guess I can shoot on over there and kill a few hours.

23. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    I got the notification too. However, its my birthday tomorrow & I have a hot date, so I am not going to be able to make it. I just wanted to see if I would be selected and I was. Let us know what happens Zach. I wish I could appoint someone to go in my stead, but I doubt that would fly with them. If you win any of the cool replica stuff, you'll have to bring it to Trilogy Tuesday to show off. Have a great time! I know I will :D

24. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Happy Birthday, old man! :p Wow, a date...you'll have to tell us what that's like. ;) Since I have to be in the Boro at 0745 Saturday morning (one day I get to sleep in) and it's in Rivergate which is an area I avoid at all costs, and it starts late in the evening, I was going to offer you the chance to be me if you hadn't been invited. Don't think they'd care since it seems to just come down to having that email. Wonder if everyone gets invited and they just pick 30 who are there? I actually entered on 2 different email accounts and only one got the invite (although strangely I got 2 invites at the same address). Oh well, sounds like only 28 will be showing up. I just don't have the time to hold onto a piece of glass tomorrow. If anyone wants to go in my place I'll gladly send you my email, but it'll be hard to get me tomorrow so better reply tonight. Sure would've been sweet to get one of those brooches, they're like $65 on the official site (of course the radio folks may have knock offs). Well, if you've got the time to burn post or PM and I'll send you my email.

25. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Well its basically a date with this awesome gal that I've been seeing for the last month, who so happens to also be a fellow Purdue Alumni. Dylan has met her too. Anyway, I have to run to work and then I'm taking 1/2 day off work at noon to enjoy the rest of the day.

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be attending as well, but there are definitely things more important than a Lord of the Rings contest, especially when its being hosted by the Rock 105.9 . Have a great GRADUATION day! We are all proud of you!!! Great job Zach! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.