O.C, CA Return of the King: Post your reviews here

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by LordJedi, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordJedi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I don't have much of a review right now. I just got home from Trilogy Tuesday and all I want to do is sleep. I'll post here sometime later in the day with everything that went on (all positive :)) and what I thought of the movie.

Feel free to post your reviews here as well.
  2. BucketHead8723 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I will post my review tomorrow or the day after beecause I am so tired! However, I will leave you with these words: probably the greatest movie I have ever seen!!
  3. JediRacer Jedi Knight

star 5
    Hi, I'm JediRacer from the LA FF. I saw a 4:01 am post and it could only mean one thing. ROTK. That's the time I got home from seeing it. I was at work at 8:00am. My mind is barely functioning. But all I have to say is: Best. Movie. Of 2003.
    ..and that it's looooooonnnnnnngggggg.
  4. MALICE_MIZER Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I requested MAJOR spoilers on the OCSWS Borads...let's see if you guys come through.
  5. LordJedi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'll come through. Here's my review for now.

First, the good. The second half of the movie very faithfully follows the book. The Paths of the Dead was amazing. The Battle of the Pelennor fields kicked @$$. Sam is the man. Gollum has Frodo convinced that Sam is out to get the ring. But our Sam comes through. In a nutshell, Frodo sends Sam home and as Sam is leaving, he finds out that Gollum was in fact lying. This gets Sam not only angry, but makes him resolve to do everything he can to stop Gollum and save Frodo. This movie was quite good.

Now for the bad. I was a little lost in the beginning because they start out going to Isengard with Pippin finding the Palantir (just like in the book) but then suddenly we're back at Eodoras celebrating the victory. It just seemed like bad editing to me. Especially since Gandalf and Pippin are suppose to head off to Gondor on the journey back to Eodoras, but this entire scene was moved to the Golden Hall in Eodoras. After that, it's mentioned that they're heading toward the other city (can't remember the name right now) and then the next thing you know, we're there. The film basically jumped to the campsite at the next place.

I think I'm gonna need to see it again before I can form an opinion on it. From what I can remember it was very good, I just felt a little lost at times during the first half.

And now I'll tell you about the great things we got at the Block. First, they had nachos, hot dogs, and pretzels for $1 each. These are normally something like $3.50 a piece. Second, any combo that you bought (popcorn and soda) you were given free refills on all day. Also, we got a commemorative all day pass that let us walk in and out of the theater, all day. It says Return of the King, with a picture collage from the movie, and Trilogy Tuesday at the bottom along with the date. They were also all numbered. At the end of ROTK, we each got a film slide in a nice frame so it's all ready to be displayed. I'll take pictures of all this stuff tonight and post links.

Suffice it to say that we all had a great time. I would've gotten more pictures (all I got were 3 pictures of the line), but I didn't know they were gonna be so relaxed on their rules. People had cameras in the theater, water bottles, backpacks, etc. This is unheard of at The Block since they're usually very strict.

And if you want to see a very spoiler filled review, head over to our website. You can find a link in my sig.
  6. Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan

star 4
    My review: I liked it!!
    (never one to be verbose)

I am a newbie LOTR fans, who had a lot of questions about who/why. But, in the time I have followed Fellowship and TTT, I was quite pleased with the last movie! Excellent and well done.

I anticipate it will bring home some impressive gold in the awards shows.
  7. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I have seen ROTK three times, and every time made me love it even more. I can't wait for my 4th theater viewing!!

What an amazing movie! :eek: [face_love]
  8. crazybirdman Jedi Master

star 4
    I've seen it 4 times. It does sem to get better & better. But every time I see it I want to see the extended edition of the movie more and more!
  9. MALICE_MIZER Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I've seen it twice. It is one of the better films I have seen all year. The film just screamed "labor of love" in every shot. I can see how hard it would have been for Jackson to remove footage from the film, but I honestly think the film sufferred due to its length. Not that I have a problem with long movies; I have an excellent attention span (One of my favorite films is Kenneth Branagh's 'Hamlet, nearly 4 hours...), but I didn't need the movie to literally spell out to me that Smeagol becomes Gollum (the whole 'mutation' was drawn out and uneccessary), and by viewing number 2, I was really wanting the movie to just end already, I don't care how much less like the book it would have been.
  10. LordJedi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I think the whole Smeagol into Gollum was done less to point out the transformation and more to point out the power of the ring. It was like saying "Look what it did to this guy, it could do this to Frodo as well."
  11. BucketHead8723 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I've seen ROTK 4 times in theatres, and about 10 (thousand!) times elsewhere. :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.