main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Return of the King --- Protest the Insensitive Exploitation of Elvis

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Jymm_Roquand, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    LOL.

I have to admit that when I found this page I was a little miffed at how rediculous this all was but scrolled down to see the truth. Regardless it was a nice way to lighten up the day. for a few laughs check this out and the obviously, laz individuals who cant take the time to read things before they shoot off their mouths. ;)

Funny!!

2. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    You mean you don't find the title "The Two Towers" to be an offensive example of exploitation of a tragedy? :p

3. Jymm_Roquand

Nov 25, 2002
    Only when I have to smack my dad for continually calling it The Lord Of The Rings - The Twin Towers...*shudder*.

Of course it only makes him more foolish, but I hate when people can't even get the title right lol. Hello!! Its been around for 40 some years now...i thought you would know this Dad! :p

4. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    It's actually more like 60 years, I think.

5. Jymm_Roquand

Nov 25, 2002
    Really??
    I thought Tolkien completed The Hobbit in the Thiries and Lord of the Rings over several years in the sixties.

6. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I thought it was the 40s, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Seems it was first published in 1954, actually.

7. Jymm_Roquand

Nov 25, 2002
    lol somwhere in between...but you were closer to the mark methinks...lol.

8. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Ah, all these movies have had their own field days with suggestive titles.

I mean if Episode 3 opens up with a pregnant Padme, then "Attack of the Clones," will have yet another meaning...

;)

9. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    Tolkien started writing them in the 30's. Not acctual books mind you, yet section of it, conserning the world and charcacters.

10. Jymm_Roquand

Nov 25, 2002
    Actually if you really wanted to get technical he started writing them in 1914 and the subsequant years. While in the trenches he began writing of a land that time forgot and once was robust with strange and wonderful creatures. His ideas were first developed during war time and over the following years he made more of an effort to develope a history and several languages. He had expressed interest in a British Myth (becuase all had been lost in the earlier Normand invasions) but didn't get around to it until then. He then began to develope a specific story set within this world about a Hobbit that shares an adventure with a dozen or so dwarves and crafty Wizzard. The Hobbit was published durring the thirties when the publishers son wrote a very positive reveiw of the book. Tolkien would continue wiritng but never completing any of his works until friend and fellow author C.S. Lewis prompted him to pen the ideas he had been expressing about Middle Earth adn the adventures surrounding the destruction of Sauron's Ring. As pointed out earlier in the thread he finished the first book in 1954 when it was released in the public. according to the forward in the collection I currently have the second book was released the following year and the final instalment was released two years later. It was late because he also took the time to develope and early draft of the appendices outlining a lot of concerns and questions fans had. Other sotries and books completed under his name concerning middle earth were done by his son Christopher using the notes of his father.

There is your history lesson for the day kiddies.

11. Amidala_wannabe

Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Humm... I wonder what an origional book cover would have looked like... Very interesting my good man

AMi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.