Return Of The King **Spoilers**

Discussion in 'Raleigh, NC' started by Jedi_Natalie, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok for everyone who has seen the movie and wants to talk about the details lets do it here. Be warned though if you haven't.

I thought it was very well done for any movie. And it still lives up to what was expected - a great finale. But my first problem with it was the end - it seemed like this needed a lot more editing, it went a bit too long. But my biggest dissapointment and something I hope that is fixed in the extended edition is where do we see the true power of the ring? I thought that when Sam found the ring that it took him, he had visions of what he could do - I thought this was tremendously powerful part. I thought the cartoon showed it really well - what the power is behind the ring, not just the burden of it.

Now its been a long time since I've read the books and now I really want to reread them but my interpretation was completely different I think (it was so long ago). So I need some help from people clarifying certain points. Was the army really dead? That took me by surprise because I have no recollection of it. Did it not seem that a whole lot was cut out of Sam and Frodo's quest? The battle was awesome but it seemed like so much of the focus was on that when so much of the story was happening inside of Mordor. Also weren't there hundreds of eagles that came and saved the army too, or was this just the cartoon version? I'm getting the cartoon mixed up with the actual book so its all getting jumbled in my head.

My favorite part was when Faromir is riding back defeated and Gandalf rides out and rids them of the Nasguls. I also love the part where Legolas single-handedly takes down the Elephant.

I also think they did a good job at showing the story of Smeagle...heh minus the biting into the fish part - that was really gross but it really showed his descent.
  2. Geniepants Jedi Knight

star 1
    I loved it! I thought it was the best one of the three. (And that's saying something) I watched it with a good crowd, too. When Legolas took down that Oliphant and did the heroic slide down the trunk, the crowd cheered. About 3 seconds later, we all laughed at Gimli's remark. Also, when those black corsair ships arrive and the bad guys are thinking reinforcements, we all cheered when Aragon vaulted over the side.

Yes, there was some stuff cut from Sam and Frodo's journey through Mordor, but they got all the important stuff. Shelob was creepy, wasn't she? My girlfriend was hiding her face (she hates spiders) and even I was a little unnerved. I also liked how they showed Sauron's "eye beam" looking for the Ring. Cool little visual there. Kind of an Evil Lighthouse effect :D

All in all, this had BETTER win Oscar for Film of the Year or there's gonna be a revolt on the Academy!
  3. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    To everyone here it should come as no surprize that I thought ROTK was magnificent! With little sleep, about 4 hours, I was in charge of the Raleigh Grande line party - free stuff from Hobby Masters. Free stuff from Cerebral Hobbies. And free stuff from Decipher.

The movie was just too chock full of stand up and cheer, fist in the air, "yeah-baby!" screaming moments. I particularly loved Pippin saving Faramir from the pyre, Merry getting first whack at the Witch King, and Sam rising to full hero status, for carrying Frodo, for fighting off a particularly malevolently disgusting tunnel web spider Shelob, and then for fighting off Gollum.

More on him in a moment.

I got my real kicks seeing Eowyn behead the Fell Beast, then staring down the Witch King and declaring (as it is in the books) "I am no man!" before terminating the chief Nazgul.

Could Gandalf be any more regal and commanding as he set Minas Tirith to arms? Could Legolas be any more swashbuckling than climbing that Oliphaunt and bringing it down to a crash and then lithely jumping off?

...and then there's Andy Serkis' Gollum. His dual personality Smeagol / Gollum is rivitingly tragic... ultimate temptation became his ultimate downfall, and I had to mentally pinch myself to keep me from believing he wasn't real. If Andy Serkis (the voice) doesn't get his oscar nod, this will be a true loss for the Academy.
  4. Psycho_Jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    First off, I want to say that I did enjoy the movie, and I thought it was very well done with some great effects.

The only real problem with the movie was the ending. The movie was 3h 22m long, and it seems like it's mostly because of the ending. They could have ended it like 3 or 4 times and it would have been good. But then it kept going.............and going................................................and going some more..... This, of course, is speaking from a pure cinemagraphic (is that the right word?) viewpoint, not from reading the books viewpoint.

And something else, what was the deal with the fading out when Sam and Frodo were on the rock, and then fading back in to the same exact picture?? That was a little confusing and it didn't seem necessary. I was actually totally confused during the movie when that happened........is it a cinemagraphic technique that I've never seen before?

I don't want anyone to think that I didn't enjoy the movie, because I truly did. I just a few things that bothered me and that I think could have been done better, but that's just my opinion.
  5. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    I hate spiders too so wasn't to sure about the Shelob scene but I think that they did a great job with it even though I was cringing the whole time. And yah the special effects of the eye were magnificent.

Ohhh and talk about the crushing moment when Denothor completely tears down Faromir...that was soo sad.
  6. jkg_vader Jedi Master

star 4
    ROTK was so wonderful, and it certainly deserves to win best picture, but you know what movie probably will? Stupid "Cold Mountain." I read the book about 3 years ago, and I wasn't all that impressed. Maybe it's because I thought it would be more like "Gates of Fire." It wasn't, and now it's been nominated for 8 golden globes, and will probably win the academy because it's been hyped so much and because of the "Oscar WInning Cast." I hate hollywood politics. All three LOTR movies deserve best picture....and at the very least ROTK should get it!
  7. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    One funny thing that happened in teh showing we were in (9:30pm at Briar Creek) was during the part where Denethor was eating and everyone was getting pretty disgusted. Then he bit into a tomatoe or something and it squirted out all over and the girl sitting right behind us said "ew!" very loudly and unexpectantly. The whole theater burst out laughing from her response. It was so funny.
  8. Blackdog Jedi Knight

star 1
    All I gotta say is...the Uruh-Kai that looked like Sloth from Goonies owned all!
  9. jkg_vader Jedi Master

star 4
    He was gross. I wanted to hurl every time he was on screen.
  10. jadesaber2 Force Ghost

star 5
    Saw it on Sunday. Loved it. Saw it again yesterday. Still loved it. I agree, the ending was a bit long, and some people actually got up after the screen faded out the first time. But man, what a ride! There was laughing, there was cheering, there was clapping, there was cringing - especially with Smeagol's fish, Shelob, and Denethor's meal - and there was even some crying at the end. It was a great experience.

The army was dead in the book. Undead might be a better word, actually. I don't know about how many eagles came to the Black Gate. I don't think the number was mentioned in the book.

My favorite part was... well, there's so many parts I liked so much, I can't choose a favorite. Gandalf riding out to aid the retreating soldiers was a nice visual treat, and was actually my desktop background for a while.

The charge of the Rohirrim was breathtaking, too. The mass of horses rushing toards the mass of orcs - wow.

Faramir was actually a sympathetic character in this movie. I just wish he had a larger role. Oh well. Hopefully, the Houses of Healing will be in the EE.

Grond (that huge battering ram with the boar's head) was pleasingly intimidating. If I saw that thing bursting through my door, I'd turn and run for my life.

Sam really shone in this movie. He was a true hero in this film. "Put hm down, you filth!" is one of my favorite lines.

I'm a big fan of movie scores, and this one is one of my favorites. There's a lot of parts with no music at all, but when you hear it, it really grips you.

Everyone was either crying or had some dust in their eyes by the end. Even me.

My least favorite part? The credits. :p
  11. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    Finally finished all my LOTR TCG and TMG promotions just before Christmas, and I saw it again at Briar Creek, and this time just for me, instead of worrying about everybody else. I let the entire experience wash over me. This softhearted old coot was just bawling like a baby at the end, hiding my face. :( I know why it affected me so, on many levels, I just get way emotionally attached to this movie trilogy.

Legolas climbing the mumakil, taking the riders down, and then singlehandedly terminating the overgrown thing and lithely dropping off back to the ground like he was the coolest (which he is) was worth the price of admission.

Seeing Bilbo, Gandalf and Frodo take berth on the elven boat off at the Gray Havens were just too much for me emotionally, I just teared up and couldn't stop.
  12. Padawan311 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have to agree, it was an emotional film. I have been to see it 4 times so far, and every time I get chills and feel sad at the end. The audience has been great each time as well, clapping, cheering, screaming, and crying at the end. Opening night reminded me so much of the EP2 line party, and when the title came up after the New Line logo, everyone cheered! It was a great experience, I was very pleased with the movie, those battle scenes were incredible and intense. It is very sad knowing this is the last film, what will we be looking forward to next Christmas? :-(
  13. UniversalDestiny Jedi Master

star 4
    I have to say and I'm sorry that this is a week late. That this is the best movie next to the SW Saga itself.

Beth and I went to go see it last week and we couldn't stop talking about it after we got out of the theater. I really loved how everything was tied together even if it was a little chopped up in editing.

I didn't read ROTK so I was going into this movie fresh and I was taken away by everything. From the white halls of Gondor to the fires of Mt. Doom.

I have to say my favorite part was during the battle between Legolas and Gimli. "That still only counts as one!"

Anyways it was a great film I'll probably see it one more time this holiday season!

-UD

14. cinemafreak Jedi Master

star 4
    Spoilers? Spoilers? Books been out for at least 30 years. I think there may be some plot points that people know about.
  15. Geniepants Jedi Knight

star 1
    To some, the movies are their first exposure to LOTR. Announcing that there are spoilers is a nice way of telling people who don't want to know until they see the movie that they shouldn't venture here. Besides, the "That still only counts as one!" scene didn't happen in the book.
  16. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm totally enamored, enthralled, & exhilarated by ROTK. It had me bawling at the end - to see finally the ultimate defeat of evil in front of me captured on film was just too emotional for me. It had me cheering, uplifted, rewarded. From the tumultous crumbling of the Black Gates, the crashing of the Lidless Eye, the explosion of magma from Mount Doom, it was just incredible. Perhaps the payoff of all, was Sam saying, "I can't carry the ring, Mr. Frodo, but I CAN carry you!" and off he goes, that was the one ultimate moment for me. I must tell you, this was a cinematic event of our time.
  17. Qui-Gon-Was-Right Jedi Knight

star 1
    I am just wondering if anyone noticed the same line in ROTK as in TPM:

TPM:
    Anakin: "Will I ever see you again?"
    Shmi: "What does your heart tell you"

ROTK:
    Gandalf: "Is Frodo still alive?" (or something like that)
    Aragorn: "What does your heart tell you"

Not a big deal, but I was just wondering if other people noticed that too. Just to let it be known, I loved the LOTR saga and i hate to say it, but LOTR is much better than Star Wars. I hope i don't get kicked out of the group for saying that b/c I really love Star Wars.
  18. spooky-kid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I was really pissed they left out the part where Sauramon had taken over the Shire when all the hobbits got back. I really wanted to see that. I really wish I hadn't read the book first.

I guess you gotta take the books and the movies as two different stories. If I hadn't read the book first, I would have said ROTK was awesome.
  19. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I'm coming into the conversation late, but I would also like to say that ROTK is a wonderful movie...better than any I have seen. :)

I laughed, gasped, cried, cheered, and clapped. I felt as if I were on an emotional roller-coaster. That is why this movie deserves to be Best Picture.

I was disappointed that they left out the Houses of Healing scenes. Since those were left out, Eowyn's and Faramir's storylines were kinda left hanging. But, I look forward to seeing those scenes in the extended edition. :)

My favorite scene is when Eowyn confronts the Witchking. You go girl! ;)

20. spooky-kid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I second that on the Houses of Healing.

In my opinion, they should have made each book a trilogy within itself. That way they could include everything in the books.

I still liked it though. I got to watch in my living room last night....Muah...hahahahahahahaha.
  21. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I'm not going to ask how you managed that, as we don't want to get you in trouble with the law. ;)
  22. jkg_vader Jedi Master

star 4
    I like that someone else noticed how beautiful the credits were too. They gave me chills...the music, the drawings....it was lovely!
  23. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    jgk,yes, the credits were outstanding, along with "Into the West" makes it a true tearjerker.

Qui-gon-was-right, no I didn't catch that.. good thinking, and everyone should be aware of the ties of dialogue between the two. Utlimately no one should be suprised that Peter Jackson actually pitched LOTR to New Line Cinema as "Braveheart meets Star Wars," according to the interview in the LOTR fan mag in the interview with COO Mark Ordesky. :)
  24. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    Hail to the Rings, baby! ROTK finally gets it's due! :)
    Golden Globes gives it best score, Best Director, Best Movie Drama.
  25. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    ..and don't forget .. Best Song! ( ok so I forgot ) :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.