main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Return of the King.

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Yoshee, Mar 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    So, at long last, LOTR finaly got the recognition it deserves by the Oscars last night. And what a win, all 11 Oscars it was nominated for!! A record i do believe.

And yes, i was sad enough to actually stay up and watch it live lol

On a slightly different note, i just wish Johnny Depp had one best actor though, but i guess Sean Penn is a deserving winner.

2. messicat_kenobi

messicat_kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Oh the day a pirate won best actor would have been a day of RUM!

Like LotR was gonna lose, I think that Orcs have taken over the Academy, or something. Or at least rabid fans.

3. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    A day of rum indeed!!! Yarrrrrr!! Seriously though, i think Depp is long over due an Oscar anyway to be honest. But then i would say that, being a huge fan of his work lol

As for LOTR, i knew it would win, i just didn't think it would win all 11 catagories it was nominated for. I almost expected Peter Jackson, not to win Best Director, foolish i know, but, being Hollywood an all, you never can tell! :D

4. Darth_H

Darth_H Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2004
    Yeah, I watched it too. It was good to see LOTR finally kicks some Oscar Hollywood butt. And I do think they've got no one left in all of New Zealand that didn't get a thank you mention in all those exceptance speeches. Good on them.

And I know what you mean about Peter Jackson getting his award. The Director catagory was the only one where LOTR had any real competition. But with every other aspect of the film getting an Oscar, it would be really harsh for Jackson not to get one for all his efforts.

All I can say is well done to the lot of them. And can someone please shoot Jonathan Ross. There's only so much comedy value to be had from hearing him say.

'The Lord of the Wings: The Weturn of the King.'

[face_devil]

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    What baffled me was thatarticles said that ROTK was the 1st of the LOTR films to win "best picture"

I'm sure the others won best picture.

Films that have the most Oscars:
    Ben Hur= 11
    Titanic= 11
    LOTR= 11

6. Darth_H

Feb 3, 2004
    No, it is the first to get it.

The others got nominated I think, but were generally snubbed. I think the Academy wanted to wait until the trilogy was complete before awarding it. Probably thinking that three years running with LOTR winning everything it got nominated for might be a bit much. And decided to just wait and acknowledge the acheivements of the trilogy as a whole by giving it a well deserved whitewash night.

7. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    Probably thinking that three years running with LOTR winning everything it got nominated for might be a bit much.

Yes, a bit like Tom Hanks getting best actor every bloody year....except the last few.....i'll get me coat....

8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Then what won best film in place of the other 2 LOTR movies?

9. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Last year was chicago and the year before a beautiful mind I think

10. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    Aye, the first 2 LOTR movies did however win best picture at some of the other movie awards last year, maybe that's what your thinking of Richie. :D

11. Darth_H

Feb 3, 2004
    'Last year was chicago and the year before a beautiful mind.'

I rest my case. How could either of those films have been considered better than LOTR?

Though if I'm honest I didn't see either of those films so I can't really comment.

:)

But let's face it, you don't have to have seen them to just know that they didn't have a patch on LOTR do you?

:p

12. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    lol exactly, neither looked any good :p

13. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I can't help but think that those 11 oscars last night were aimed at the LOTR trilogy as a whole, not just ROTK. This in my eyes discredits it against Titanic and that other film that got 11 oscars as stand alone films.

14. Darth_H

Feb 3, 2004
    Yeah, but the production values et al are pretty consistant throughout the trilogy as a whole. I think it is rewarding the whole trilogy, but only because otherwise it would've been hogging all the awards for three years in a row.

Plus, do you really think Titanic was hard done by? Sure it was good. But you were only sitting through the two hours of mushy crap so you could get to the 45 minute in real time sinking of the ship. That was the money shot that held that thing together.

:p

15. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    otherwise it would've been hogging all the awards for three years in a row.
    I fail to see the problem :p

Sorry Titanic was one of the most boring films, I ended up cheering when Leo died, it was the highlight of the movie for me.

Just like gangs of new york, very over rated movie. The woman behind me was alseep maybe it was because it was in Middlesborough :p
    I mean they were supposed to have Irish accents, the only one who had a decent one was Irish so had a slight advantage ;)

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    [face_laugh]

You'd be a great critic!
    And a truthful one at that.

17. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    [face_blush]

Why thank you ;)

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I hate these critics that think high achieving films can do no wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.