main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY "Return of the Kyle"

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by MakanPyralis, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakanPyralis

MakanPyralis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2005
    I have been thinking about the film industry a lot lately, and I am no longer sure this is what i want. I have been in a constant struggle the past 8 days trying to decide what I want. I wish I did some more research in the industry and in the school. It is something I've always wanted, but I feel like I should've waited and had a good base, some money, a plan to fall back on, something...I think I rushed into it when I realized that Catherine and I were gunna be breaking up three months before we did.

Before I decided to move down here, me and a friend we're working on a business plan to open a game center. And I still really like that idea. I have until wednesday to make a decision to stay here and continue with film, or come back to new york to start the game center.

Every time I think I made a decision, my mind takes me the other way. I think that perhaps my timing was wrong, or I should have waited until after the game center was built and established before I went off to school like I originally decided.

So yea....I might be moving back home! Good news for you Chris if I do, I've already order the vader costume... So theres a little update since i havent posted in a while!

-Kyle

2. StoyBoy720

StoyBoy720 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Go with your heart, because you're gonna make the decision that makes you the happiest.

I'd still say, as an advocate for the entertainment industry all around, don't let one school affect your decision on the whole industry. So the school didn't work out for you. That happens. I know a lot of people who transferred to other schools or took time off because they didn't fit well at UB, or got to a grad school or something and found out the department wasn't quite what they thought it was.

And Buffalo indy film is picking up a bit. There are a lot of people in the area doing some good work, so there's nothing saying you couldn't do the gaming store AND do film stuff on the side.

Of course, there's the huge risk of starting a business. New World Record announced today it was going out of business because it couldn't keep up with the bigger chain stores. I know a lot of game stores that don't last forever.

Will that happen to you guys? Not necessarily. You've got a good head on your shoulders, Kyle.

Just my thoughts. Think about it some more, and go with your gut. And we're here either way. :)

3. Aunna_Lauren

Aunna_Lauren Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 19, 2006
    Going where you will be happiest is wonderful advice unless all you're following is your
    heart and not your gut as well as your brains. Unfortunately nothing lasts forever, being
    a believer of the Buddhist concept of Impermanence, you have to roll with the blessings and
    the hardships that life's choices can bring. You should probably consider what will bring
    you the most financial gain in the long run, bring you joy, and lead you to other opportunities
    for joy and learning.

Moving to a different school and continuing on the path you've been considering for a long
    time might suit you better than moving to an economically depressed area to open a gaming
    store, where five have shut down in the past ten years after moderate gains. Consider your
    age, your education, your skills, you interpersonal connections, your goals, your dreams.
    It is easy to lust after the simple path, the middle path is hardest to follow. You walk on a
    cliff's edge looking to one side and seeing a fast easy buck and all that you've already seen
    done and heard and on the other side you see an unfinished degree and a fractured relationship
    and a seemingly never ending debt and possible failure of a dream. Life is all about steering
    your way between the two, not letting one or the other consume you.

In the end the choice is yours to make and follow. You are not to feel that you ought to be
    held accountable to others desires for your future no matter how much you love them or they you.

You already know what you want to do, you just simply have to stand up and do it. Have faith in
    yourself, take courage from your strength of character, and do what needs to be done.

As luck has nothing to do with it, I'll instead send you a hug and smile - It'll be alright in
    the end!

Annie

4. Mother_of_the_Twins

Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2005
    Whatever you choose to do, Kyle, we'll be here to support you. [:D]

Do or do not. ;)

5. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005
    after 11 or 12 days of debating, i have decided. As long as the school only charges me for the two months ive gone to class, Then i will be home. If they charge me for the whole semester, then i am staying.

6. Darth_Snappahead

Darth_Snappahead Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2005
    Take a shower and put on some brand new underwear. That always helps me think more clearly.

7. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005
    I will be coming home sometime next week. I made my decision, and I got completely fed up with the school the past couple days. I'm not cut film out of my future, just put it on hold and not come back to this school. I thought it was gunna be really good, I was wrong. So I open for some events!!!

8. Mother_of_the_Twins

Apr 8, 2005
    It will be good to see you again, Kyle. Keep us posted on when you are returning, ok?

9. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005
    Holy crap i hate this school! I can't wait to get back home to a normal life!

10. Aunna_Lauren

Aunna_Lauren Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 19, 2006
    Bad day? Deep breaths deep breaths....

11. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005
    its been a bad couple of days now! But i am no longer a student!=D=

12. StoyBoy720

Jun 26, 2003
    So when are you headed back home?

13. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005
    monday night, and be home tuesday afternoon! I can't wait to get back....even if there is snow!

14. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Take a picture of Florida today so we can all drool!

What school were you at anyway?

15. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005
    a very expensive school called full sail. I'll try and get out and take a picture. Most likely will be tomorrow when i go to the FX show!

16. VideoPrince

VideoPrince North Ridge Treasurers / Diplomat star 4

May 31, 2002
    We'll hopefully take some pictures with Kyle Saturday at the FX show.

17. StoyBoy720

Jun 26, 2003
    Well, at least now I don't have to ship you your DVDs. :p

18. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005
  19. VideoPrince

VideoPrince North Ridge Treasurers / Diplomat star 4

May 31, 2002
    Did a double take when we saw a North Ridge T Shirt wandering around.

Kyle has...changed, a little. But we had a nice visit.

Late night at Magic Kingdom right after the show, but we'll post a picture tonight.

20. JediKnightLisa

JediKnightLisa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2002
    It will be great to see you again Kyle! Sorry school did not turn out to be what you originally planned. :( We can only try to learn and grow from what life throws at us. Hopefully it helps us to understand ourselves more and makes us stronger in the end. [:D]

Welcome back to the cold and snow! :D

21. MakanPyralis

Aug 16, 2005
    im back and half settled in! Got a little more to unpack and it will almost be back to normal! Can't wait to see every one again!

22. Mother_of_the_Twins

Apr 8, 2005
    Welcome home, kiddo! [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.