main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Mara Jade Skywalker Fan club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi_Liz, Dec 27, 2002.

1. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    [face_batting] :D [:D]

But we should be honest, shouldn't we? We want an adventure with some tension! Imagine if they wrote a novel with Luke and Mara in it but that was just... flat :( [face_skull]

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Yick! And it probably would be. No toe curlingness, no masterfulness LOL [face_mischief] Even the stellar in sync team work of two halves of one entertaining whole. :D

3. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Yeah! That was why I would rather see it done by Zahn. He is my only hope (in canon).

Because we already have novels where their relationship is flat or where they don't interact at all, we don't need more.

4. kataja

May 4, 2007

Hmm... I loved the sparks in TTT - but THT wasn't fulfilling what I hoped for - and while I enjoyed SQ, I thought the L&M interaction very played down there too. Zahn writes subtly - and on that he's a master - but to be honest I'd like a bit more. It's like he's been writing more and more subtly the older he gets - and his writing od Mara has been turning her more and more analyzing and introspective too. Maybe that's a conscious effort from his part to try balance the fieriness that seems to be all of her that many other writers have caught - but still... To me the it's exactly the tempered fire, the balancedcombination, that's the essence of Mara. And the essence in her interaction with Luke.

I loved how Kathy Tyers wrote them in Balance Point - I really think she could do the job. And Christie Golden who's been writing in FOTJ might probably do a good job too. After all she's just jumped in from Star Trek - and still has done such a good job with the characters; it shows she cares. Allston could probably do ok too - but the ladies are my favourite cards. I don't know about the writers who've been writing PT - I've never read any of those novels.

But at some point I'd really like to see Matthew Stover write Mara! I'm not uncritically enthusiastic about his novels - but he's alwasy interesting and he goes into the characters.

5. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Stover writing Mara? I'd love to see that, as well.

I think if Zahn wrote the smuggler book we're clamoring about, he'd put in some fun L/M moments as little teasers, kind of like the scene in SotP. I will defend the romance in VotF until the day I die, and I think that for a novel before L/M are actually together, Zahn would do well in creating the tension.

However, if they ever went and wrote another L/M novel after they're married, I'd like to see it written by Kathy Tyers, or, I'd love to see a Skywalker family novel written by Christie Golden. She does a really good job writing Ben in FotJ.

But basically, I just want more Mara. :counts down the days until Choices of One:

6. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I'd actually prefer a story of smuggler Mara with absolutely no mention of Luke. There's so much more to her than Luke, and I think all the near misses and inconsistent flirtations get really old.

7. RandomChick842

RandomChick842 Jedi Knight

Apr 27, 2011
    I agree....after Union and Survivor's Quest it seemed to go straight into NJO....-_- would have love loved LOVED to know what was happening between the newlyweds....but then again that's where fanfiction comes in to fill in the gaps [face_love] but still the tension of these two before and after would be very very very much appreciated....

8. Piper057

Piper057 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2009
    Heh, nice present to my birthday! :D

I'd be very grateful if you could...[face_blush]

I love how Michael Stackpole wrote her in NJO.

That's what they always do! That's why I chose to read fanfic long ago. And I don't want them to suffer, to be alone, to have that tension... I want them to be happy - at least at the end of the book.

;)

9. kataja

May 4, 2007

He might well. We know he can! [face_batting]And glad you loved VOTF. I do too - but there are issues that bug me...

Heard! heard! :D

Good point too! I really think we should get both! :)

But you're right. Mara and Luke are awesome together, but there's much more to them than that. In a backward way that makes me reflect that I love how balanced they write Luke in FOTJ! For him to lose Mara was a tremendous blow - but nothing that would cripple him for long. And neither would it had it been the other way round - they're too strong for that - and their relationship too mature.

10. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Have any novels mentioned if Mara had ever stepped foot on one of the Death Stars? I *seem* to remember her referencing it once....but can't remember for the life of me.

11. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I can't remember anything like that, Mazzic. But I haven't read all of Mara's books.

I think I understand what you mean, Kataja. If I didn't know how that book was supposed to end, I would have been really surprised with the turn of events because I didn't find many clues to Mara's and Luke's true feeling in it - there were some clues (like the scene when the Fire crashes and right after it and then when Mara tells Luke about the true nature of her relationship with Lando and his mood immediately lifts), but they were very few. I think it's a case of reading between the lines and maybe it's because english isn't my main language and I just missed most of them. I would have like it to be a little less subtle and a little more descriptive of L/M's feelings and state of mind.

And seriously, that last part where Luke asks Mara why she wants to marry him and she gives that long speech about them working well together - was it too hard to just write 'because I love you'. Working well together does not necessarily mean they love each other or/and should get married.

12. Nadia-Oomia

Nadia-Oomia Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2009
    Hello everyone! I haven't been in here for a while. What is the specific topic we're talking about today? :p

13. kataja

May 4, 2007
    I don't know for sure but I don't think so. She doesn't in any of the novels where she actually appears - but there might be a mention of her somewhere (you could check what the wook says). I did check the dramatis personae in Death Star though, and she doesn't appear there.

You nail it, Hazel! Except that I actually like the subtle clues - it's just that since there was NOTHING before, it just left me starving for more. If we could get book (or even one book!) where things would be a little mroe obvious, I would probably have it much easier with it!

And I agree completely with that 'work together' passage - that was too practical, particularly after Luke had just said he didn't understand what she gained marrying him - a line that just made my jaw drop! He just became too self-effacing there - and she let him. It wasn't becoming on her not him.

Also, all the retconning of what's happened previously leaves me uncanny - not that I think the books in between were great, they weren't, but becasue I don't think Zahn sets it right. Luke never was in a relationship with Gaeriel. It wasn't his overuse of the Force that killed her - nor what that why Callista left him. And while Luke has been written to look pretty thick in many novels between TTT and THT I don't agree that he's been constantly close to the Dark Side all that time. I like Mara's point that strong use of the Force makes you overhear the fine nuances, though.

Hi Nadia-Oomia! I don't think we have a prticular subject (do we?:confused:) - we've been jumping a little back and forth. If you check the last page I think you'll be pretty well updated.

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi sweet hazel & kataja:

On the topic of subtle clues -- I like subtle but I also like steady progression and ooh! what was that! moments -- ;)

Sparky sparkly moments like JediMara77 writes so well -- where friendship is verging on something deeper - a charged glance, an "accidental" on purpose touch LOL

And that working together line -- I'd rather have her say:

"You're compassionate, courageous, and sweet on the eyes, and that's just for starters." LOL There are things he could teach her in the Jedi ways -- but that doesn't equate to soulmate-hood :p

15. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    There was a sentence in the novel Death Star that made me believe Mara was on the battle station, but that's just speculation on my part. Basically one of the characters is on a shuttle to the Death Star and mentions the other passengers, and one he described was very cold and said she was a dancer. There wasn't anything specific there, it just made me think it was her. I haven't seen anything else on the internet where anyone else agrees with me, though.

I really think - when I'm done writing my trilogy (:p) - that I need to go through and review all the L/M parts of VotF. I can't help it, it's my favorite book! EVER!

Actually, what I really want to do (once I catch up with Fate of the Jedi and other books on my list) is go through and re-read all of Mara's appearances in the EU, from Allegiance up through Sacrifice. Kind of like what they did with Jacen Solo in the lit forum. Of course, this means that I'd have to read the first five books of LotF, and re-read Dark Nest, so I might just stop at the end of the NJO (since I've been wanting to re-read that series as well).

16. kataja

May 4, 2007

Ah - I'd say the same, definitely. It would of course make sense she'd been there too.

And I really need to hit bed now (!) but speaking of my misgivings about VOTF I just fell over this: -and it jsúst took my berath away. Pretty talkative (I didn't mind) and a couple of spelling mistakes (didn't mind that either but I know some people do) but it's still GREAT! Takes so much of what I just complained about and makes sense out if it!

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh kataja! That was a fun read and Talon's voice is perfect =P~

The sly dog! [face_love]

18. Nadia-Oomia

Jan 4, 2009
    Okay, thank you ;)

19. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Hello, Nadia! Just jump in any time you want. [:D]

I do love VotF, I've read the duology 3 times and the L/M parts way over a dozen times (I have them all marked with color stickers), which is a lot if you consider I read them the first time a little over a year ago. I'm just saying that I would have liked it if the fireworks between Luke and Mara were a little more explicit.

I've actually thought about typing all of those parts into one file and rereading it for my amusement. But I still refuse to go into LotF and I'd have to get some of those New Repiblic books I don't have yet and do not look forward to reading.

I'll be starting on Allegiance closer to CoO release date so I'll read them both back to back.

20. Nadia-Oomia

Jan 4, 2009
    Does it matter that I've only read one series with Mara in it? [face_blush]

21. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Not at all! Which have you read?

22. Nadia-Oomia

Jan 4, 2009
    The Thrawn Trilogy. Is that the first one she appears in? [face_thinking]

23. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Mara was created for the Thrawn Trilogy, so you can say is was her 1st appearence. But since it was published there have been books, short stories and comics that tell some parts of her story before TTT. I think Allegiance is the earliest in the timeline and it takes place months after A New Hope. Then after Allegiance comes Choices of One, which is due for release next month, if it doesn't change again. Both these books were authored by Timothy Zahn.

24. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    I believe her first chronological appearance (not counting video games or visions) is the first issue of Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand, when she is granted the title of Emperor's Hand. Tarkin is still alive, so it takes place before ANH. Then would come Allegiance.

25. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Oh, yeah! :oops: I forgot about that scene.