Fanclub Return of the Tang: Mara Jade Skywalker Fan club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi_Liz, Dec 27, 2002.

Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    I really enjoyed the comic. It provides a lot of insight into how Mara works, and just how her life crumbled after Palpatine died. (Plus, I loved the Isard/Pestage scenes.) The difference between her mindset at the end of BtEH and HttE makes you wonder just how horrible things got for her in those four and a half years she was on the run.

I got the comic off Amazon in a library binding edition, but it's also included in the Shadows of the Empire omnibus.
  2. Nadia-Oomia Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks JediMara, I'll have to look into it ;)
  3. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Okay, this is totally random, totally off topic, and a couple pages late, but I think I figured out a plausible reason why Mara needed Luke's help to go into a healing trance in VOTF when she did it herself in Allegiance. She forgot. It seems stupidly simple but it makes sense. How many years are there between the two books? 17 years or something. If she didn't have to go into one for all that time it makes sense that she would forget.

I'm going back into my little corner now before Hazel uses her lightsaber to punish me for procrastinating on MoMs again.
  4. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    I could believe that - the only problem is that Mara has an incredible memory. In Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand, Mara uses an old Emperor's Hand code that she had never even had the chance to use while serving the Emperor, recalling it after over 20 years. I think if she really had been taught how to use a healing trance, there's no way she would have forgotten. My only way of reconciling that in my mind is just that her Force powers had diminished, so even if she had tried to use a healing trance herself, it wouldn't have worked correctly, so Luke had to help her.
  5. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    ME :eek:!!! Briann, you're making me sound like some kind of a Sith :p

I don't think this would have anything to do with Mara's incredible memory or diminished powers. I think Palpatine's death opened a sort of wound is whatever part of Mara that connected to the Force, sort of like what happened to Corran's memory of Mirax when she was kidnapped, and it was something so painful that Mara recoiled from using the Force from then on. It's not that her powers diminished, they were still there, she just unconsciously chose to not use them - a sort of post traumatic stress - she just blocked it out.

6. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 4
    :p You know that I love you Hazel. And you would never use a lightsaber on me.

Okay, new theory because I too believe Mara would have an amazing memory. I just remembered that one of the Darth Bane books stated that Sith didn't have healing powers because of the nature of the dark side. Assuming some Sith between Bane and Palpatine did develop a sort of dark side healing trance, it would use different powers/techniques than a light side healing trance. Does that make sence? Mara in VOTF obviously would not want to use the dark side to heal herself (plus, given the nature of the dark side, I don't think a dark side healing trance would be as effective as a light side healing trance) so she needed Luke's help to go into a light side healing trance.
  7. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_thinking] I guess that's possible.
  8. kataja Force Ghost

star 4

That sounds cool! And it could be fun to take the discussion to this thread (I just suggested a sim. thing concerning Luke on the SOS thread on Lit) :) Not that I can see how I can find time for all I want to, but I wouldn't want to miss it!!! [face_batting]

I agree. And I wonder if we ever get some of those stories... In a way t would make sense that something particular happened - otherwise one would think that a resourceful woman like Mara would find good, decent work anywhere, also work where she could stay incognito.

That sounds pretty plausible, actually. [face_thinking] I makes semse - plus if Luke has found out that about Mara (which is theoretically very possible, they must have had some interaction straight after TTT)) it would explain why Luke would know what had happened to Corran.

Quite another question: does anyone know what Mara did during DE (Dark Empire) and where ?there is information about that. I know there's a game (Mysteries of the Sith, I think) that's supposed to happen in the same year, 10 BBY, but I don't know how much it overlaps DE. Also, I've red that Mara helped to evacuate people from Coruscant, but I don't know where that informations comes from.
    ad somewhere that
  9. Piper057 Jedi Knight

star 2

Actually, I've copied all L/M parts from Duology to MS Word file and I'm planning to do the same with Balance Point. :p

It really makes life easier - if in VotF I also love to read the parts devoted to other characters, in BP - well, I don't. [face_blush]
  10. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
  11. Jedi_Liz Force Ghost

star 6

Hmmm, perhaps he wanted to twist the mind of a child...since he had been a mentor to Anakin since he was 10 or so (definitely in Attack of the Clones) that he figured it would be even easier to twist a much younger child's mind. One of my theories is that Mara's parents were probably Jedi, but due to the clone wars...they left their baby girl with friends...then they were hunted down....Mara on the other hand thrived with her adopted parents until her force sensitivity was discovered....?

I don't like the idea of Mara being Palpatine's love child, though. [face_sick][face_sick]

I wrote a fanfic where Mara search's for her family and the family she finds is her adoptive/foster parents.

Perhaps Vader somehow recognized the force signature as something close to a Jedi he knew....and spared her life...but basically kidnapped her for Palpatine....

Her few memories (which COULD have been altered with the Darkside of the Force....wish we could ask Zahn...but not everyone wants a backstory for her....some want it to be a mystery forever....I'd at least like a PLANET name..) say her parents didn't want her to go.

One of my other theories is that she could have been a descendant of Nomi Sunrider and have normal parents.

hmm, mon mothma had auburn hair....maybe she could have been a relative of Mon Mothma's ;) Not her daughter, but like a cousin's daughter or a niece.

12. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'll probably start on it next year. I have my book reading schedule planned out for this year (yes, I do that), and I want to re-read the Rogue Squadron books before I get started. Plus, I'm probably going to ask for an e-reader for Christmas, which means I can get all the novels electronically and easily skip around to all the Mara mentions. :) But I will definitely post the discussion here. (Just over a month until Choices of One! Weee!)

The short story where Mara meets Karrde is pretty good (First Contact). Other than that, I don't think we get many glimpses of what she was doing during those years. According to Jedi vs. Sith, she fought with Lumiya and lost her lightsaber at some point.

I think some short stories during that time would be nice - perhaps if Del Rey does the anniversary editions of the rest of the Thrawn Trilogy, Zahn will write another Mara story set during that time. I don't know if I'd want a whole novel, though; I get the feeling that Mara's life during that time was very depressing and would probably make me want to cry, especially during those Endor anniversary periods. :(

I know at some point she was training with Kyle.

And yet another reason why I hate Dark Empire - if ANYONE should have been involved in a reborn Emperor plot, it should have been Mara! And I can't blame her for being so angry with Luke after that. (Which is one of the reasons I can accept it taking so long for them to get together. I don't think it would be very easy for her to forgive him; hell, I'm surprised she even agreed to go to the Academy in the first place. Grrr, stupid Dark Empire.)
  13. Mazzic Force Ghost

star 4
    I totally forgot how much I love this cover by Jon Foster.

[image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050823145523/starwars/images/f/fc/TheDarkSideSourcebook.jpg]
  14. madman007 Force Ghost

star 4
    I have heard the excuse why Mara was nowhere to be seen in Dark Empire was because she simply wasn't written by Zahn yet by the time DE came out. And I have always cried foul with that. The writers of DE could have conferred with Zahn while he was writing HTTE and involve Mara Jade. The whole timeline doesn't make sense if you totally avoid Luke's interaction with Mara during Heir. Then again, it could be one of those things that if you did involve Mara, there might not have been a story; if Mara was involved she may have convinced Luke to not follow the fake Emperor in the first place (something that Zahn had her explain in VOTF during her tirade against Luke.)
  15. Mazzic Force Ghost

star 4
    If anyone is in NYC, my friend is hosting a SciFi / Star Wars-themed trivia tonight at a bar downtown. He just told me there will be some Mara Jade questions (I think to entice me into coming). PM me if you're in the city!

Speaking of which....where is everybody located? Clearly, I'm in NYC.
  16. madman007 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm in Northern Kentucky, across the Ohio river from Cincinnati. [image=http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/images/fan_forum/y2010/letsgoreds_sign_310.gif]

If you go, jot down some of the Mara Jade questions and post them in here. You could test us!
  17. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_plain]
    Hmm, I 'd like to know more about that [face_thinking] - without buying that blasted game! Why can't they make a novelization about it?:mad:

I agree that's could have been a reason for the ten years. My own problems with that wasn't the story but the dull characterizations - and the complete lack of timeline at that point! I might be stupid, but my problems isn't even that Luke went Dark Side (that makes some sense) but his bizarr involvement with Jem in DE2. I mean - really?!??:mad:

About Mara's involvement, in my head I've always reconstructed it that Mara was busy (possibly with Kyle Katarn with that whetever they do in the video game) and Luke wouldn't call out for her beaause he'd be worried to involve her especially - either that she might be temped or if she recisted, the Emperor might be infuriated and take out on her personally.

Very, true... all of your points. And, yes, I've heard that was how it played out too. There really was so much mess in those early Bantam years *shudders* :(

Denmark.:D
  18. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm near the world of Disney.

FYI, starwars.com posted the entirety of Chapter 2 from Choices of One. No Mara action in that chapter, unfortunately, but it's really good and I rally can't wait for the book!
  19. Piper057 Jedi Knight

star 2

St.-Petersburg, Russia. :D

Yes, it would be very interesting. :)

From my point of view, these logical gaps mostly take place because of too many writers.
    I doubt, they all can consult with each other in process and when all their books of one timeline are published we get... well, the mess. :pEspecially we have it with EU characters who didn't appear in movies - I'm really sorry for Salvatore who had no choice but to write Mara in Vector Prime.
    A writer should know and love his characters.
    It's hard enough when they were created in the movies and you should feel them, know them to write them right but in this case... it's really hard. That's why I completely admire fanfiction writers who can do it. :)
    I also could mention a lot of SW fans who consider this universe only as a place where someone always fights, cuts hands, kills everybody and so on. These things are much more important to them than L/M relationships and looks like the writers focus on this audience. At least, in NJO.
  20. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm in the south of Portugal.

As for Mara not being in Dark Empire, I don't think we can find any excuses in the story, I think it's all due to miscommunication between the pros. And then they bring out these games or whatever to try to patch it up.

I took this from Mara's page on Wookieepedia:

When Palpatine returned in his new cloned body, Jade didn't believe it was really him, spurning any thought of returning to his service. Instead, she aided the New Republic in evacuating Coruscant and ferrying cargo for the government. For his part, Palpatine supplanted her and the other Hands with new Dark Side Adepts, including Sedriss QL.

However, Palpatine was also not content with merely replacing Jade; to punish her for her treachery, he sent several of his servants to intercept her en route to a Smugglers' Alliance meeting in the Senex sector, including the mysterious Blackhole. She was captured, though Katarn and some of his associates later freed her.

I don't know if this satisfies any of you, but it doesn't satisfy me at all. At the very least they should have had Luke rescue her.

21. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Northern Canada - Hoth 8 months of the year.

I believe the Mara and DE thing was just lack of communication / collaberation. As far as I'm concerned, Mara probably did not want to be anywhere near Byss and the emperor reborn.
  22. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    HI!

I just thinking the other day about the Jade's Fire and how it was the perfect 'personification' ('cause I can't remember the right term) for Mara - a luxury yacht with deadly capabilities. That shoot-back system in particular screams Mara Jade to me.

What do you think?
  23. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Hi: :)

I agree with that. I also think it allowed her a sense of ownership and freedom. [face_thinking] She could pick up and go anytime, anywhere. It was the first really her thing she'd ever had, so to give it up in VOTF really had selfless meanings.

I also loved the Jade Sabre for Mara, because it was Luke's gift, a lovely color and full of unique features, like herself. :D

Didn't feel as big an umph behind the Jade Shadow for some reason LOL

@};-

24. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    I think it's really interesting to compare Mara's reaction to losing the Jade Sabre versus the Jade's Fire. It really shows her growth and how her focus has changed to what is really important in life.

The Jade Shadow is like another character in FotJ, which is nice because it's like Mara is never very far away. Aaron Allston almost made me cry when Luke and Ben first enter the Shadow in Outcast, and Christie Golden did a nice job in Omen of describing all the upgrades to the Shadow that were done by important people in Mara's life. Luke and Ben both feel that their journey is somewhat of a memorial journey for Mara. Plus, every chapter starts with a picture of the Jade Shadow. It's a nice touch to make sure Mara never truly goes away. I hope Luke and then Ben continue to use her ship for a long, long time.
  25. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    Also, Zahn's response on Facebook to an inquiry about if he'll ever reveal info about Mara's background:

Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth