Fanclub Return of the Tang: Mara Jade Skywalker Fan club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi_Liz, Dec 27, 2002.

Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    Tarsier - I have a sort of love/hate relationship with VotF, but I don't think I've ever met another Mara fan that didn't just love it.

I love/ hate it too. And just as JediMara, my main issue is with Luke's characterization - but contrary to her I haven't solved it, it seems. CoO ripped it up again and more than ever...o_O
  2. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    In fact, I'm really, really annoyed with Timothy Zahn generally at the moment - but I guess it will wear away since I seriously love his creations too...:p
  3. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    I need to write that defense of VotF. :D
  4. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    You don't need to do it for my sake (though I'd enjoy to read it if you do it for your own sake ;)) I kriffin' love that book! It's just that the faults of it are so MUCH MORE ANNOYING BECAUSE OF THAT!!! :mad: And with CoO Zahn's has digged much deeper in - so whatever, spare it til after CoO. That gives me time ot fume out too...
  5. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Yup. It is in the Kobo online store. I've only been reading them for the past 2 months, but I love ebooks. I have major issues with my eyes, I have to most things audioly. Most of my books are audiobooks, but with ebooks, I can make the font REALLY big and I'm fine. It is how I'm going to buy CoO, after all you people tell me how good or bad it is. I'm not a person to rush through books. I like to enjoy them. Unfortunately, I gotta read Alligance first, which I have as a normal book and the printing is incredibly small. It shall be torture.

You people should tell me if reading Alligance before CoO is absolutely nessisary once you are done it. Maybe save me from going completely blind.
  6. Jedi_Liz Force Ghost

star 6
    Choices of One is #3 on the list at Amazon in eBook format. The hardcover is #4. That's good news. :)

I am not sure if I'll get Choices of One...I may just wait for Library lending to be available on the Kindle and see if my library adds it to its limited ebook list.

7. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    Just finished Chapter 7 (I think, it's page 102). I AM LOVING THIS BOOK TO PIECES.

Mara is sufficiently badass.
  8. Piper057 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yes, thank you. I think I'll find e-book soon enough. All I need is to sit down and do it. :D

I LOVE Luke in VotF because he is so "normal" there. An episode in the beginning when Artoo is trying to wake him from healing trance is one of my favourite scenes.[face_laugh]
    Oh, and angry Luke was very refreshing. :D
  9. Mazzic Force Ghost

star 4
    Um...."Choices of One" was pretty awesome! I love seeing Mara as the competent Emperor's Hand. It's my favorite Mara era (although I still think she handles a lightsaber too much!).

The best quote from the entire book (highlight to read. Not a spoiler. pg213):

"You know, it's considered polite to face a person when you're speaking to them."
    "I wasn't sure you'd want that," he said. "I've heard that to look on you is to look on death."
    "Not always," Mara said.

10. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    Mazzic - that scene did make me laugh. She's had a few good one-liners.
  11. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    A Mara comment re: Luke that made me giggle:

Whoever he was, he was clearly an amateur, and this was a job for professionals.

Tee-hee.

Another Mara comment that made me giggle in irony:

Besides, there was something to be said for a man who would deliberately put himself into deadly danger to help those he loved.

Well it's no wonder she married the Farmboy! He's the king of doing that! :p
  12. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    Finished the book last night and absolutely loved it. Best EU book I've read in a long, long time. Mara was fabulous, strong and confident but still naive and innocent when it comes to the true nature of the Empire.

There was a very, very nice scene at the end of the book that shows Mara's humanity. A slight spoiler, but nothing major.

And so it was, at the end of the second day, that she found herself sitting in the Suwantek's pilot's seat, gazing moodily out at the spaceport beyond.

Missing them.

It was a new sensation, she thought, to miss someone. The only true constants she'd ever had in her life had been the Emperor and a handful of people like Vader. Vader she could take or leave, his moods permitting him to be an occasional ally but little more. The others of the court or fleet were the same.

As for the Emperor, he was available anytime she neededhim, just the stretch of her mind away. She could hardly miss someone who was always there.

She didn't like missing LaRone and the others. It felt weak and vulnerable, and she didn't like it at all.

But she missed them just the same.

Is all well?

Mara hesitated, suddenly wanting very badly to tell him of her loss, to feel his strength and be comforted.

But he was the Emperor. His responsibilities spanned a galaxy. He had no time for the softness of emotion or sorrow.

And she was the Emperor's Hand. Neither did she.

One of the best Mara-characterization moments I've read in a long, long time. And very telling, considering where she goes in life. I seriously teared up a bit when I read that part. I just feel so bad for her.
  13. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    So, Nanci, any good scenes with Vader? :D
  14. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    Just a cameo, but it's awesome. Don't wanna say any more. :)
  15. Tarsier Force Ghost

star 3
    So does HoJ survive or not???
  16. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
  17. Tarsier Force Ghost

star 3
  18. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    I still have major problems with CoO but let that rest. The scene you quoted, Nanci was one I really liked too. It foreshadowed what will come very nicely. But when it comes to Mara's characterization, I think that if anything, CoO continues what Allegiance started: it invalidates all theories about Mara being maltreated in her adolescense. She comes off as so extremely self confident in these novels that she can't have been abused in any way. Obviously, she's been through a hard school but she's a person who's been collecting victories, not defeats.

And the quote above also reveals an interesting detail:
    Mara hesitated, suddenly wanting very badly to tell him of her loss, to feel his strength and be comforted.

But he was the Emperor. His responsibilities spanned a galaxy. He had no time for the softness of emotion or sorrow.

And she was the Emperor's Hand. Neither did she

I can't see her thinking this unless she'd be used to seek comfort with Palpatine. He must have played the same role of wise, nice mentor as he did for Anakin[face_plain] .
  19. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    Honestly, I never thought that Palpatine mistreated Mara. In contrast, I always thought he treated her very well, because he never wanted her to doubt or question the Empire. Even as far into the future as the Thrawn trilogy she still had this very innocent view of the Emperor. I can see her being punished for failures and wrongdoings, but would think that Mara would consider that she "deserved" that punishment. Otherwise, the Emperor was like her father.

It's such a creepy relationship, and kind of fascinating.

20. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    JediMara77 - Honestly, I never thought that Palpatine mistreated Mara. In contrast, I always thought he treated her very well, because he never wanted her to doubt or question the Empire. Even as far into the future as the Thrawn trilogy she still had this very innocent view of the Emperor. I can see her being punished for failures and wrongdoings, but would think that Mara would consider that she "deserved" that punishment. Otherwise, the Emperor was like her father.

It's such a creepy relationship, and kind of fascinating

Fascinating indeed! And probably too much fo a constriúction for all ends to be able to tie together if you start examine realism... ;)

Yeah, Zahn has always written her like she was 'close* to Palpatine, but in mosts fanfics she gets a pretty abused background, leaving her vulnerable under the tough surface. (I can see NO sign of that whatsoever in Allegiance of CoO.

The fantasy of abuse also exists in profics when Hambly in CotJ, lets another Hand say that she was "lent out" to governors etc.. Ok, this other Hand wasn't Mara, and she's stated as P's mistress but still... I think everyone who comtemplates the role of an 'Emperor's Hand' , and what t would be like to grow up under such a onmipotent and megalomaniac psychopate as Palpatine is, can't help but get a rather... various... specter of possible scenarios...
  21. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    In my opinion, Mara was very dependent on Palpatine's approval and would do whatever it took to get it, but I also think Palpatine knew her so well, that he knew just how far to take his orders so that Mara wouldn't begin to question them. He was a master at manipulation,

This reminds me of that part of VotF where Luke asks Mara about her role model, since they agreed it couldn't be anyone in the inner court. She had to have learned her sense of decency from someone.
  22. NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Palpatine babies his acolytes. He babied Anakin, and made him over estimate his abilities, which were great, but he wasn't as great as he thought. Anakin couldn't kill him because he admired him and believed in his vision. It seems so reasonable. And he killed all his enemies so there is no counter balance. Palpatine both lavishes praise and stuff onto his servants as well as punishes and belittles them so they never get too cocky. They're like pets. He uses them and when they are no longer useful or he finds someone he likes better, he disposes of them.
  23. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    So everyone needs to watch this video pronto. Mark Hamill uses the Force. http://yfrog.com/nn6e7gz
  24. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 4
    [face_laugh]

LMBO!!!!

IMO, Hamill has opened up to Star Wars more in the last year or two. In the 90's and certainly in the early 2000's, he would not do anything related to Star Wars unless he got big bucks (but I can't blame the guy, he wanted to move on). He would only go to oversea conventions if my info serves me correctly. I watched this one documentary thingy on YouTube, it must have been made around 04-05ish: basically this guy wanted to interview and get all the main OT actors together. He managed to get a few of them together and managed interviews with Carrie Fisher, Warick Davis, Anthony Daniels, ect. Hamill said he would only do it for 45,000 dollars or something like that.

But now Mark Hamill is doing things like this, going to conventions more, and he even did CV. I think he knows and has finally accepted that being Luke Skywalker is what he will be know for, he can't fight it, so he may as well embrace it.

Totally not on the topic of Mara Jade, sorry.

To add to the discussion, Palps was a master manipulator, plain and simple. He manipulated an entire galaxy, so manipulating an induvisual would not be that hard, especially if that person was very young.
  25. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4

LOL!!!

Awesome. :D
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth