main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Mara Jade Skywalker Fan club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi_Liz, Dec 27, 2002.

1. WarmasterDan

WarmasterDan Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 3, 2002
    I am going to use all of your thoughts to make a submarine sandwhich that I will use in combat. Now tell me all of the stuff Mara would like on her sub.

2. Kirtana_Loor

Kirtana_Loor Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 28, 2002
    In combat? And I thought you Vong - oops, I mean Yuuzhan Vong - only use weapons that are still alive! :D

3. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    ::Walks in dead tired, glaze eyed, and wired:: (Don't ask how that combo would work... it just does)

Jade 12 reporting in. I am not dead! Hullo again all! How goes it?

4. WarmasterDan

Sep 3, 2002
    It will be use as a ship. Thoughts.

5. Elori

Elori Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    ::strolls in, takes a look around:: Jade 2 reporting in :) Nice place we got here now [face_mischief]

6. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Representing our leader Liz, I'm glad that everyone has found the new thread. I'm still waiting for Malz to show up though... ;)

7. C-3PX

C-3PX Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Woo new thread. ;)

8. CptCorranHorn

CptCorranHorn Jedi Master star 5

Oct 16, 2002
    No way!!!!
    Trell is actually here??? How is that possible?!?!?!

Sorry, j/k 8-}

9. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Were you comenting on my disapering act? Or being sarcastic? ?[face_plain]

10. jedi_master_ikrit

jedi_master_ikrit Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    Nearly 100 posts already and almost no Mara-talk. I think we need to get back on track here before the Eye of the Mods bears down on us.

Ok there was a thread in Lit recently about whether Mara ruined Han and Leia's relationship or not, I don't know if it's still up though. What are you guys' opinions on Mara's effect on Han and Leia? Positive? Negative? No effect?

11. CptCorranHorn

Oct 16, 2002
    Trell: Both ;)

You mean Luke and Leia's, right ikkie?

There is no way that Mara negatively effected Luke and Leia's relatonship. Luke and Mara are married, for crying out loud! How did you expect him to act?!

12. Devi

Devi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2002
    Ikkie: Unless you're talking about a thread I haven't seen, the thread in Lit was about whether Mara ruined Luke's and Leia's relationship. My reply to that was:

I would like to see more bonding between Luke and Leia (or Luke and Han, for that matter) in the books. But with that being said, I do not think that Mara is ruining Luke's and Leia's relationship. The "not being close" of Luke and Leia began in the Bantam era, long before Mara became Luke's wife, or even a major character, for that matter. CeeWulf made a good point in this regard. For a long time, the authors (much to my chagrin, I must add) have been having the tendency to portray Luke's and Leia's relationship as being somewhat "formal" and distant (at least it struck me as being like that) - they were hardly ever together, always off on separate mission, and when they happened to be together, they were relating more like Jedi Master and Chief of State than like brother and sister, if you know what I mean. But like I said, that started long before Mara Jade became Luke's wife, so Mara had nothing to do with that.

Ysanne: And would Mara say "There's no one, other than you and Karrde, that I'd trust more than Leia." (Rebel Dream) if she was 'ruining' Luke and Leia's relationship?

Indeed, good point. Do we ever actually see Mara pushing Leia "out of the nest to be number one"? No, we don't. What we did see, however, was Mara saying that she "trusts" and "respects" Leia; and fighting side by side with her and being concerned when she (Leia) got hurt in "Onslaught". It may not be much, but it was there. In "Union", we saw Mara thinking gratefully about how Leia et. al. were giving her the family she never had. Now where does it say that her feelings have changed since then, and she is no longer happy to have Leia in her life? The quote that Ysanne posted implies the opposite.

Now as for your question reg. Mara's impact on Han's and Leia's relationship, Ikkie: I don't think Mara had any significant influence (positive or negative) on their relationship at all. We don't even see her much around them in the NJO. She's with Luke most of the time.

What caused the crisis between H/L was Chewie's death, and Han's subsequent depression. We didn't see Mara trying to help Han through that difficult time, as far as I recall; though it is also no explicitly stated that she didn't help it, the topic is simply not mentioned. But I don't think that Mara could have helped him much anyhow - even Leia couldn't help him then ( :_| ), so what to speak of Mara, who isn't as close to him as Leia or Luke are. And of course, she had big difficulties of her own during that time (her coomb spore disease), so there was only so much she could do. So in short, Han's and Leia's difficulties had nothing to do with Mara, and Mara practically couldn't do anything about it. H/L had to work through that themselves.

13. CptCorranHorn

Oct 16, 2002
    This is my reply to a complaint someone else posted:

Ever since Mara has become a major character, and the galaxy began to revolve around her

When did this happen? I don't remember the Vong searching for her the most, offering up anything to get her. When I recall, it was Luke or the Solo kids they wanted. Rarely did they mention Mara. It doesn't seem like the galaxy's revolving around her. Seems like it still revolves around Luke and the Solo's.
    Of course Mara is going to be an important part in the NJO; she is married to Luke, arguably the most important jedi. So of course they are going to give her some tme in the spotlight, time that used to belon to Leia. I'll admit, Leia deserves more, but Mara is a more formative Jedi, and this book series revolves around the Jedi.

14. Devi

Devi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2002
    Good points, Corran!

*******Announcement*******

I'm in the process of compiling the best posts, pictures and links from the "old" MJFC into an anthology, so that all the good stuff doesn't get forgotten. It's going to be on this website:

http://crystalseeker.tripod.com/index.html

(Yes, yes, I managed to remember the password for my Tripod account! ;) :D )

15. CptCorranHorn

Oct 16, 2002
    Thanks Devi!

I added your site to my favorites. If you need any help compiling all the stuff, I'll be glad to help :)

Good night!!

16. Devi

Devi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2002
    You're welcome, thanks, and good night! :)

See you all tomorrow (hopefully, I'll also have a contribution to the RR then)!

17. Ysanne_Isard

Ysanne_Isard Jedi Master star 5

Oct 27, 2002
    Thanks devi!! :) tell me if you need any help as well

18. DarkWoman

DarkWoman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Jade 20 reporting in. :D

Sorry for the delay guys. ;)

So... any Mara news? :)

19. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Mara is most defintly not ruining the relationship between Luke and Mara. My first post from that thread:

When you marry someone, don't you become closer to them than your siblings? While I admit I'd like to see a closer relationship shown between Luke and Leia, I think it makes sense that Luke and Mara are closer. Mara isn't ruining the twin bond at all, IMO.

There does need to be more bonding with Leia, and Han for that matter, but the fact that there isn't is not Mara's fault. It could be a variety of things, the writing, the stress of another war, many other things.

20. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    Mara is most defintly not ruining the relationship between Luke and Mara.
    [face_laugh] ! Sorry.

I can't believe that thread is still going. We just keep saying the same things over and over. I'm sorry, if I'd read more NJO, I'd jump right in there.

EDIT: Nice site, Devi! :) I love the fine print! [face_laugh]

21. WarmasterDan

Sep 3, 2002
    Yes, Mara is not running his relations ship with Mara.
    EDIT: Yes TSM, you must read more NJO books.

22. mistryljediskywalker

mistryljediskywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    hi, I'm back!

Union has been updated!

I've read a bit of the NJO, but I don't like it and it seems every time I make a comment in a discussion I get majorly ripped into before anyone else.

23. WarmasterDan

Sep 3, 2002
    The New Jedi Order is the best Star Wars series.

24. mistryljediskywalker

mistryljediskywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    The Yuuzhan Vong are cool, but characterization is bad. Many of the characters are written badly and they killed off too many people. This is only my personal opinion.

25. WarmasterDan

Sep 3, 2002
    The Yuuzhan Vong are my favorite bad guys, although it is just you guys who think they are bad. :p