Fanclub Return of the Tang: Mara Jade Skywalker Fan club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi_Liz, Dec 27, 2002.

Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. jedi2187leia Force Ghost

star 4
    Congrats on reaching your 10,000th post, everyone! [face_dancing]
  2. Mazzic Force Ghost

star 4
    #OhThankGoodness

[image=http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/SW_Choices_of_One_mm.jpg]
  3. Dunc T'racen Force Ghost

star 3
    I'm seeing a lot of mixed reactions from Mara fans, but I think it's one of the better Mara images. Of course, I dislike most of the official ones.

And she has SLEEVES. For that alone, I'm pro. The hair color is kind of off, but I suppose you can attribute that to the lightsaber's tinge.
  4. Tarsier Force Ghost

star 3
    I knew I should have held off for the paperback. Not a perfect image of Mara, but far better than most, IMO. And overall the cover looks like it was done by a professional, which is more than I can say for the hardcover version. Thanks for the link, Mazzic.
  5. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm so tired of the big bossomed look - but apart from that - and apart from the auburn hair, it actually is one of the better Mara pics and the more I look at it, the better I like it. There's something about her face (even though I don't imagine her looking like that at all) that both suggest just how confident she is - but also that she's stll very young.

And that's after all more important when it comes to Mara than any either face or hair or body.[face_plain]
  6. NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Thar thread in Lit is on my nerves about how Ben is not Luke's.
  7. Mazzic Force Ghost

star 4
    Here's a nice write up about the concept for the new "Choices of One" paperback cover.

I think my favorite may be "Sketch03"...although I'm pretty happy with the design of the finished cover. I do agree, I wish her hair weren't as...dyed. But at this point, it's just a petty complaint. The cover is pretty EPIC.
  8. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 4
    I was silently following it. Thank goodness it got locked. Sorry, but you would think that someone with Luke's abilities could tell if it was not his kid.

Anyways! I love the paperback cover for CoO. I am so thankful I was broke when the hard cover came out. I am definitely getting the paperback.
  9. Mazzic Force Ghost

star 4
    So I'm finally getting around to reading the 20th Anniversary Heir to the Empire. I think the last time I read Heir was easily over ten years ago. It's refreshing to read Zahn's notes, and I'm doing my best to read the novel like I've never read it before (which is difficult, considering I have the comicbook adaptation committed to memory!).

I'm shocked that a reference to Mara's red-gold hair didn't happen until chapter 19!

Any other new observations you all discovered while re-reading Heir (aside from the "handful of times" she had handled a lightsaber)?
  10. Mazzic Force Ghost

star 4
    Because I'm not convinced we haven't exhausted Zahn's description, I wanted to include some passages from Heir that illustrate Mara's proficiency with a lightsaber after all.

Although this is a dream sequence, it is Luke seeing his possible past - one in which Mara, strong with the Force, was able to curtail the lightsaber away from the budding Jedi and defeat him.

Perhaps the most telling passage from the book - the ease and sureness in which Mara used the weapon, as well as moving it to her belt in a "single smooth motion," shows her mastery of the ancient weapon.

Again, this shows her exemplary skills with the weapon.

Although Mara does seem to favor her blaster in Heir, I attribute that to her lack of familiarity using a lightsaber since Emperor's death and her encounter with Lumiya. As her Force skills atrophied in the years after Endor, and then her complete inability to use the Force on Myrkr due to the ysalamiri, she would clearly use a weapon for which she had the most familiarity with.

I personally don't fault Zahn for his original "handful of times" passage...having re-read Heir, Zahn has demonstrated more than once throughout the book that Mara was familiar and proficient with a lightsaber.
  11. celera Jedi Knight

star 2
    The cup size is actually toned down from what the comics do. Sure, the outfit is form-fitting but at least it looks like you can breathe in it.
  12. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks for posting those. I agree with you. That "handful of times" remark seems to be just a innocent mistake that plagues EU books nowadays. Considering how few other errors there were in the writing, I can't really fault him for that. She's clearly skilled with the lightsaber, even if her Force skills are lacking.
  13. Piper057 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'll pretend I've never seen it - for me, it feels, I don't know... my knowledge of English isn't enough to express my feelings here. [face_sick]
  14. Mazzic Force Ghost

star 4
    Anyone have "Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand" handy? I'm looking for a scan from issue 4...was wondering if anyone could be so kind as to email it to me? PM me for details.

Thanks!
  15. nostalgia Jedi Master

star 2
    PMed!
  16. Mazzic Force Ghost

star 4
    Thought I'd chime in with a bit of Mara Jade fan-art I'm creating.

[image=http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6099/6383755395_230e7f5315_b.jpg]

It's more of a Photoshop manipulation though...thus far, I've used about 80 different layers and pulled from about 30 different images to get this far. Let me know what you think! (clearly, Ysanne still needs a glass of champagne, as does Lord Day-Lewis.) The background image is just a placeholder for now...

Based on an image from "Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand."
  17. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    It's amazing Mazzic!!! The manip, the dresses, the details - and DDL as an Imp (though he's my fav for Karrde :p - but he's so amazing he can do anything)

I guess my only :confused: is Mara's face/expression - she looks hmmm... like a prim, english overclass lady. The english upperclass is fine - but the prim part isn't quite... Or then it's not as much her face or expression, but the way she holds her head...
    [face_mischief] And then it nags me that she looks familiar and I can't figure out why...:p
  18. Black-Dog Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Nice work. :) I likes how Ysanne appears. Is her looks based from a person in particular?
  19. Mazzic Force Ghost

star 4
    Isard is modeled after Julianna Margulies, while I used Shannon McRandle as Mara. :)

Thanks for the comments, y'all! I'll make sure to post my progress as time permits!
  20. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    Never seen JM before, but I googled her, and she indeed has the both the look and the edge of Isard. SMcR is pretty as a picture but I guess I've never seen Mara's feist or stamina in her.

Juts the other day, however, I reflected how I like your portrayal of Mara, both in that Jedi Master picture you've made and in the pic in JadeCrusades! The latter is so.... brilliant. She has an oldfashionned edge of 30's femme fatale, combined with lethal physcal integrity in that pic - just as I imagine her. And you can see she's petite!
  21. nostalgia Jedi Master

star 2
    Can anyone tell me what comic/novel Mara Jade loses her first lightsaber? I know she loses it to Lumiya, and I know it's cited in Jedi vs. Sith, but I'd like to know if it's actually written out...
  22. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    I haven't read it myself, but according to the wook (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Duel_on_Caprioril) the duel is first mentionned in Star Wars Gamer 5; The Emperor's Pawns. You might try to find that.
  23. madman007 Force Ghost

star 4
    Just found this on You Tube. We may have a new qualifier for the role of Mara Jade.

Karen Gillan, who plays Amy Pond from the current Dr. Who series.

Now, she does have a Scottish accent, but visually she could be a younger Mara Jade. Notice my comment to the author praising for not choosing a typical busty babe wearing the black skintight suit. That's a tired cliche with Mara Jade. Dancer's figure does not mean strip dancer!

Mara Jade?
  24. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    I like Karen Gillian as a type (never seen Dr. Who myself) but she's not Mara to me. Mara could look that way - but she doesn't feel that way. Annie Wershing with her unique presense and sharpness gets much closer in my optique. But I wonder if I'll ever be quite satisfied. It's worse than the hunt for Scarlett O'Hara - her they found, though...

And Vivien Leigh indeed had the rare electricity I think Mara should have too...
  25. madman007 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, if only we can clone them all together....
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth