main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Return of the Tiger

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Rogue...Jedi, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Sexting.

"I will wear you out..." LOL.

2. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    If Tiger was gonna pursue an affair, he coulda done some more homework. I was pitying him as I heard his desperate phone message.

3. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    He's counting on Michael Jackson dying (or some such) and everyone will move on.

4. Carlo_Ancelotti

Carlo_Ancelotti Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2009
    Grubbs. Uchitel. I wonder if he's taken a Mulligan.

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Lord, I can't believe he could be this dumb.

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    http://www.despair.com/lyinking.html

7. DrAriafya

DrAriafya Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2009
    I'm sorry, if he's gonna be a wannabe pimp and slang women, then he needed to put those thoroughbreds on the track and slap a hoe for not knowing her place.

8. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
  9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Don't blame her.

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    If I don't hear another Tiger Woods story until it's "Tiger Woods wins x tournament for his yth career, setting him up to win _____ major, and put him that much closer to Jack" I'll be a happy, happy man.

11. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Likewise, Inty.

12. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    I don't think I can recall such a quick and catastrophic collapse of such a prominent figure. Those pictures of him could be the nails in his endorsement coffin.

Look at it this way: I think he could parlay this into a Rocky IV-like exile and come back with no frills, no marketing crap and just go back to being the best golfer on the planet.

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Why on earth would he get married? This wouldn't be problem if he wasn't.

14. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    Martketing. Was probably advised to have a wife and kids to expand his appeal.

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  16. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    not for his family it doesn't.

17. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Son of a... Damn TMZ, gossip mag, jackholes. All I want to do is watch the greatest golfer of my generation, if not ever, play golf. You're ruining that! I don't care if you're "reporting" (A term I use very, very loosely) that he dug up Princess Di's corpse, so he could have a three way with Kim Kardashian. Stop it! You already suck, stop sucking more, jackholes!

LEAVE TIGER ALONE!

[image=http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5531/leavebritneyaloneguyy.jpg]

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Look, I'm selfish.

I want to be able to tell my kids and grandkids about watching the greatest golfer ever, and how he hunted down and surpassed Jack's records. I don't want to have to tell them about how he took time off to save his marriage and that cost him a chance at the records.

I know, that sounds off. I should be cheering for him saving his marriage. I should be cheering that his kids have something of normalcy.

But I can't. I've invested too much of myself into the golfer Tiger Woods, and almost nothing into the husband and father. I've read numerous books about him at such a young age proclaiming that he'd surpass Jack. I've watched the prelude and the build=up unfold, I just want the on-the-course payoff.

19. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    If Tiger had flings with just a few women, I think this would've passed much sooner. It's not just one skeleton in the closet. When you have that many trysts and affairs over the years, you also invite yourself to the circus we see today. Can't hold it against TMZ and the like that so many women have emerged, with varying degrees of credibility. But they're there.

As bad as it would make him look, I think for his sake and his wife's dignity they're better off splitting. Let him see the kids every other week and he can go back to his one sanctuary on the course. I figure he's such an intense competitor it would motivate him even more.

20. Carlo_Ancelotti

Sep 3, 2009
    You know, I can cheer for my team even if it has some scum in it, but I can't cheer for an individual who is scum. It wouldn't sadden me if he never won another tournament.

21. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    My question is, why is this whole mess our business? Why does the media have the "the public has a right to know!" complex about something that should be private(this goes for all celebrities, btw)? Is it really that much fun to build up figures and then mercilessly tear them down?

22. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    Were Bill Clinton's misadventures our business? Tiger's a world icon, hell not that far removed from President-level exposure, especially in any country that cares about golf. The higher up the pedestal you are, the harder you're hit.

23. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Honestly, from the way things sound, if you went this way, you'd be cheering for a whole lot of the PGA, MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, Boxing, and hell, probably the PBA to never win again. These guys are young, in generally good to outstanding physical shape, and have a lot of money. There are women everywhere throwing themselves at these guys. None of them are squeaky clean, most of them just have people around them who are better at keeping things quiet.

Hell, consider, Jasper Parnevik, who's somehow emerged as some sort of hero in all of this. Back around 1999-2001, he had two, hot, blond, Swedish, model, twins working as his "nannies." Yeah. You hire a woman like Elin and her twin sister to clean up around the house and watch the kids. Right. Sure. I'm sure it was all wholesome and pure.

Were Bill Clinton's misadventures our business?

While, to an extent I agree, you can also make a case that because Clinton is in a position of high power, and has access to highly classified secrets and info, you could claim there are National Security issues involved with any woman he would have a tryst with. But with Tiger, the only reason this is news is because so many people are so obsessed with celebrities, and their lives. They believe that somehow, reading about it in a crappy magazine, means they're a part of it, and they have some connection. Like Angelina Jolie is some personal friend, and cares what they think. And when there's some story that involves a celebrity and sex, then its like a jack pot. Gone are the days when we appreciate these people simply for their talent. They have to conform to some rigid set of morals, or else we hate them, we're going to root against them. How Dare Brad Pitt break Jennifer Aniston's heart like that! I'm never going to watch another movie by that horrible man!

A Chicago radio station I was listening to the other day brought up a good point. How would Micheal Jordan be perceived if he had lived with the type of media scrutiny we have now? This is man who was a notorious adulterer and an almost compulsive gambler at time, but for the most part, it was kept out of the press and not talked about, except for the occasional whisper. Think of the ideas that are still just dismissed as conspiracy theories, that his father was killed due to his gambling debts, and that his first retirement was simply an agreement between him and David Stern to avoid a suspension from the NBA. Maybe they're true, maybe they're not. But had they happened this year, they would have been reported as true. TMZ would have a huge headline and story detailing the entire story, with maybe, a passing mention to a Stern denial. But, it would be news, it would be out there, Extra would be devoting an entire show to the truth behind Michal Jordan's gambling and how it killed his father.

But, rant over. And I feel bad, because I can't watch the greatest golfer I've ever seen play for awhile. I don't view him as a monster, I view him as a golfer. A damn good one. I don't feel too much pity for his wife, because I doubt everything that's come out has been a shock to her. I doubt she's been surprised by a whole lot of the news. And its probably helped her work out a better monetary agreement with him. She'll make a lot more money from the marriage now then she was going to before this all became public. I feel bad for the kids, because they have to grow up in a world where some stalker is going to take their picture and ask them how they feel about their daddy being an ***hole. There going to find out more then they ever should about their parent's sex lives all so some scum can sell a magazine.

24. Carlo_Ancelotti

Sep 3, 2009
    Yeah, I'm aware that a very large percentage of them screw around. I don't remember saying that I cheer for people to lose. I can appreciate great talent or a great performance. I just can't get all happy for someone when they win if they're scum.

I'm sure he was banging them both. Likely at the same time. They were probably too much for him to handle to he passed one off on Woods.

Woods just isn't a golfer. He crafted himself an image and sold that image. People don't by the products he endorses just because he's the world's best golfer. His image as a great guy, etc., plays a huge part. His image is a total con. If he's going to benefit from the false image, I have no problem with a very public outing of his bad behaviour. He can't have it both ways. That said, it is unfair to his wife and kids.

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I see, I guess this is his wife's fault. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.