main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Return to Castle Wolfenstein Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Abhors Elder, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abhors Elder

Abhors Elder Guest

RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN

World War II rages and nations fall. SS head Himmler has Hitler's full backing to twist science and the occult into an army capable of annihilating the Allies once and for all. Battling alone, you're on an intense mission to peirce the black heart of the Third Reich - or die trying. Fighting in advanced team-based multiplayer mode, you'll wage your own WWII in an all-out Axis vs. Allies contest for frontline domination

So are there any fans here? I can't get enough of the Beach multiplayer level. I usually start out as an Allied engineer, than switch to medic when my job is done. It's hard though with a crappy PC like mine. 300MHz, 128 Mb of RAM, 28.8K modem... Takes forever to find, and get into a game that works smoothly. I usually play under the name "splatmaster" in the public servers.

So anyone else here play?

2. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    You play RTCW on a 28.8k modem?! You're either really brave or really stupid. ;)

I played and beat the SP part of the game in a few days on the hard setting. It was okay, nothing spectacular. The game shines in multiplayer, and I played it religiously for a couple of months. I'm also looking forward to the expansion pack.

3. Theedage

Theedage Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2001
    wow, I played cs on a slower system but a faster connection and it barely handled that, I don't think I would have ever tried rtcw on it... unless you have a godly gfx card.

4. flyingseal

flyingseal Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    I prefer the old one :p

[image=http://agdb.net.ru/images/wolfenstein_3d_1.jpg]

5. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Well, id better rush out that expansion pack, because if it came down to a split decision between RTCW EP and BF 1942.

From what I've heard of the EP and from what I've played of the BF Demo, There's no real contest. Battlefield '42 any day of the week.

6. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    I still prefer DoD over RTCW and MoH:AA for MP gaming.

7. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Dum, we have to play some BF1942 together. Dude, it has planes. :D

8. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    And people who say 'Crikey', the way it should be said.

Natch.

9. Abhors Elder

Abhors Elder Guest

Well, we did have a 56k connection till a few weeks ago. Our server did a bunch of crap or something, so now it's down to 18.8K :( . I think we are about to switch to a different ISP though. The sad thing is that we can't get anything higher than 56K in my area. We will have cable by the end of the year though :D .

What this of an addon pack you speak of? I stepped out of the RTCW light for a while, and just reinstalled it last night. Please explain!

10. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    It's coming out this year (exact date, I do not know). Upgrades include some new weapons including a really cool looking grenade launcher type weapon for the Engineers, whose abilities will also be upgraded. It also looks like there will be new objectives in the multiplayer maps (one screen shows you constructing a bridge, or something) and I believe there are more SP missions too.

11. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I loved RTCW when it first came out. The MP test with Omaha beach was fantastic. I played it very frequently for the first few weeks after its release but MOHAA won me over when it came out. I just can't seem to go back to Wolfentstein now... [face_plain]
    Oh well, on to Battlefield 1942! :D

12. Theedage

Theedage Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2001
    RTCW has the best first person shooter single player mode I've seen or played. It was just downright cool.

13. darth_diminski

darth_diminski Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2002
    I am with you on that, Theedage, single player is superb. And graphically still unsurpassed, real world textures are the key. The AI is also the best in the FPS that I have played - better than Outcast, SOFII, AVPII or MOHAA (which has scripted AI [huff]).

14. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    i have the demo so i get the beach level Yay! I like switching between teams but when on allies i start as an engineer and switch to a Lieutenant. When on axis i start out as an engineer and switch to a solider with a venom

15. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    I loved the game - I got to Heinrich before my OpenGL drivers messed up :(

I heard the ending was disappointing, could someone please PM/post what happens?

16. darth_diminski

darth_diminski Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2002
    This is truly embarrassing ... I have finished it three or four times but I can't remember exactly what happens - I think you see this clip where Himmler is watching the events from afar (through binoculars) and cursing Blazkowicz, and stating he has to explain the failure of the paranormal SS division to the Fuhrer. Then you see the HQ of the US Rangers with the commander and the bespeckled guy, just rounding stuff up and then saying our fine agent is taking a holiday, at which time you see him wiping the floor with some more Nazi scum. So pretty mundane, like the last level in general ... the only disappointment for me!

17. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    Thanks to you and SC for filling me in :)

18. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    is this game coming to xbox?

19. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Yes, I'm pretty sure it is.

20. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    There's going to be an xpack? Wgere did you guys hear this? What will it be about?

21. The_Rev

The_Rev Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    Yes this game is comming to Xbox

Link
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2877714,00.html

The Xbox will have the better version

22. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.