main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Returning the lightsaber vs. map to Luke

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by rezpen, Dec 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Does anyone think there was a version of this movie shot that was more about returning the saber to Luke than uncovering the missing map piece? The one thing that stood out to me on repeated viewings is how on Starkiller Base when Kylo Ren says "that lightsaber is mine!" how did he instantly know who it belonged to? Was this line a hold over from an earlier version? I know there were many rumors that BB-8 would have the saber hidden in him.

2. WannaBuySomeDeathSticks

WannaBuySomeDeathSticks Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2014
    Wondered that as well.

Also, how the fragnok did Kylo get out to the forest, AHEAD of Rey and Finn so fast? And how did he know where to be to be in position to be waiting on them?

That point in the movie looked like a editing jump IMO. Where they cut out the middle portion between Rey and Finn's escape and them meeting Kylo.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    he felt it.

4. Knightstalker137

Knightstalker137 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2003
    Yes definitely. We had two macguffins in this one, they should have just picked one or the other. If the coordinates where somehow hidden in the lightsaber, that would have been a lot cleaner. You raise a very good point re Kylo somehow knowing it was Lukes even though there's no suggestion he had ever seen it before

5. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012

There might be some suggestion he's seen it before. The guy is seriously nerding over Vader artifacts. He may have saw immediately that it was Anakins. Also being trained by Luke in the past, he also may have seen or come across what the blade looks like.

6. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    That part of the movie is where it looks like they were going in one directions then changed their minds and through the that line would be used to explain something else. The thing that gets me is that Anakin's lightsaber is lost when Luke's hand is cut off in TESB. That is a question that I hope will be answered in the next edition episode.

7. hardcorehuffy

hardcorehuffy Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    it hit me last night, in ESB, luke lost his lightsaber along with his hand, right? (i havent watched ep. 1-6 in about a year, but im gonna re watch em soon, and re watch tfa as well). he lost the lightsaber on bespin, and that's the last we see of it, untill it randomly appears in tfa. wookiepedia says maz kanata recieved it through a series of events, which i guess is enough to fill that plot hole. but she also said "thats a story for another time" when han asked where she got it. (i might be wrong on who said what, i dont remember exactly, im going off of what a friend said right after he got out of the theater). so maybe we'll get an explanation in later films? im gonna look and see if there's a thread on this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.