main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Revan: Jedi or Sith?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Lord Revan., Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Revan.

Lord Revan. Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 29, 2013
    Do you consider Revan a follower of the jedi or sith philosophy? I know that he was a jedi at first, then a sith, then a jedi again. But in Revan novel he doesn't consider himself a member of the jedi order, and in the SWTOR flashpoint "the foundry" we can see Revan with a genocide plan to destroy all sith. That isn't a plan a jedi would do.
    What do you think?

2. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Neither really. As time passed, Revan became a pretty much unaligned character.
    Though if I would have to say one, I would say Sith. After a while he basically lost all of his Jedi values and, like a Sith, didn't show much remorse.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Revan is probably best defined as a Gray Jedi.

DanielUK and spicer like this.
  4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I wouldn't say he's either. You don't have to be Jedi or Sith if you're Force Sensitive.

5. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    However, Revan was given the title Prodigal Jedi and thus was admitted back into the Jedi Order. He technically was apart of the Jedi Order while under Force Amnesia, but he certainly is a Jedi again (canonically) after the events of KOTOR.

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Neither

Sent from my R2 unit

7. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    I'd say he retains the ruthlessness of a sith but is a jedi.

8. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    after the book, i'd say neither. i'd say he became a jed'aii, like in the dawn of the jedi book/comics. they were in balance, and used both sides of the force, just as revan did. he became something other that hadn't been seen millennium at that point, a being in balance with the force itself instead of swinging to one side or the other.

9. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    I'd say that Revan is neither Sith nor Jedi. He is something in between.

He does not share the beliefs of the Sith, as in torture, murder and slavery, but he does not uphold every single moral like the Jedi do. He bents the rules and breaks some morals when needed, but ultimately for the greater good.
    He uses both sides of the Force, because he has found balance between the Light and the Dark Side of the Force.

10. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007

I just finished Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void and I have to say that their way of life was interesting. I'm actually planning to start TOR: Revan next so I will know more and chime in after that.

11. IIA_MasterSHenson

IIA_MasterSHenson Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2013
    Neither. Both. A Darth Jedi so to speak. He used both light and dark side and had philosophies drawn from both teachings. The book Revan, the games KOTOR1-2 and TOR really speak into this idea of his duality.i

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Just finished the book and I also say he's neither. He's sees the use in both the light and the dark.

13. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    We probably won't know canonically until they get to the end of TOR (the MMO game). I'm still holding out for a epic last battle over Dromund Kaas with the two Jedi characters and Revan vs the Sith Emperor in a 3 on 1 battle of epic Force powers as the last Jedi character mission.

14. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

Revan gets killed in a flashpoint in the TOR game and that was considered as his final fate before the EU was decanonised.

15. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    It's a tough call. Overall I would say he contributed more to the philosophy of the Sith than that of the Jedi. Basically creating the Rule of Two in it's most basic form before Darth Bane refined it.

zompusbite likes this.
  16. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    The Sith emperor formally bestowed the title of Darth upon Revan, so officially I suppose he is sith. Even then, Revan's goals, though aimed at defeating the Sith emperor, still make him sith. The sith fight each other and have power struggles all the time. His official Darth title and his dark side allegiance still makes him sith. He's anti-emperor goals mean nothing. As for post-sith lord, I think he's rather neutral. He still intends to destroy the sith, but by any means necessary, instead of strictly adhering to light side jedi code.

17. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Revan was neither Sith or Jedi; he was much more. Similar to Anakin, but more disciplined and focused. When Obi-Wan told Luke about the purged Jedi Knights in ANH, I always imagined them to be something like Revan.

18. Couq-DK

Couq-DK Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 16, 2014
    Actual, in that particular flashpoint on the imperial side, you do not destroy him entirely, at least you aren't allowed to reduce his heath to zero. To me this indicate a possibility of him actually staying alive in some form or another. So, I wouldn't rule out the chance of him having survived in some form or another.

19. Rou-eru

Rou-eru Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    I wish they would wrap Revan up in a book trilogy or Kotor 3 rather than the old republic mmo. Plus my computer went to **** so I can't experience it first hand now.

20. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of Revan being in TOR. Let the poor man die already.

Marco1907 likes this.
  21. roguesquadpod

roguesquadpod Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2014
    Based on some actual info from the games/books, and tainted by our extreme obsession with Revan as the best Force sensitive anything in SW history, I'd say he is above the classification of Jedi or Sith. Powerful enough to use either side of the Force he wants at will for whatever task is at hand.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Brakiss says in the YJK series, of his Shadow Academy:

"At this academy we do not learn only one side of the Force. This is not a school of darkness. I call this a Shadow Academy, for what does life create by its very nature, if not darkness? And it is only through using the full range of your emotions and desires - the light and the dark - that you will become truly strong in the Force and fulfill your destiny. The light side by itself offers only limited power. But when the light is blended with the dark, and you work within the shadows, then you achieve your full potential. Use the strength of the dark side."

Maybe this can be thought of as a prototype for the later Revan concept of using the light and dark sides simultaneously?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Balance_of_the_Force_(technique)

23. roguesquadpod

roguesquadpod Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2014
    Perfect. Love it!

24. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    It's funny how both the Jedi and the Sith reject that philosophy. I forget which Sith Lord it was that was turned on by his master because he started showing interest in using the light side, then of course there are the Jedi who "fear the dark side" and it's corruptive properties.

25. zompusbite

zompusbite Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 3, 2014
    In fact, to understand Revan we must what the Force is really. And where we've got that better understanding is in Rise of the Empire Era's novels, especially in The Dark Lord Trilogy. There, we've understood that letting go of intention, desire and of life, and surrendering one will to the will of the Force is the true path of a Jedi. The essence of being a Sith hinge on capturing the power of the Force and making it subservient to the will of sentient life ; the real power of a Sith don't come from the Force but from oneself : this is the Dark Side of the Force. There is no middle ground : either you follow the Force or the Dark Side. As Plagueis himself stated in the Darth Plagueis novel, the reason why the Dark Side has become so powerful is that the Jedi of this era have lost their allegiance to the Force; that they have neglected it's way to follow that of the Republic, and by bribing the Republic, the Sith corrupted the Jedi.
    I think that Revan was neither Sith or Jedi, but more a darksider. By not following the will of the Force and committing abuses, Revan went astray from the Jedi path. And by refusing to fully embracing the dark side, he stay away from the Sith path. But by following his own will and use the Force in such ways, he played into the Dark Side's hands.
    Thank you for reading me.

salis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.