main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Revan [KotOR char., OC's]: Update: A question for the readers...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Master_Keralys, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Title: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Revan
    Author(s): Master_Keralys
    Timeframe: Knights of the Old Republic (pre-TPM)
    Characters: Revan, Bastila Shan, Carth Onasi, Canderous Ordo, HK-47, Malak, KotOR-era Jedi Councils, OC's
    Genre: Action, philosophy, drama, politics, romance (?)
    Keywords: pre-TPM, Knights of the Old Republic
    Summary: A what-if - what if Revan's choices had been different at the end of the Mandalorian Wars - what if he had taken another version of the same path?
    Notes: Inspired by an off-hand comment by DarthReven over in the Lit forums, this story bloomed and grew in my mind. I haven't a clue how long it's going to be. But it's definitely different from any other KotOR story out there...

---
    Prologue: Storm Clouds

He stood there on the bridge of the greatest capital ship the galaxy had ever seen, looking out at the greatest fleet the galaxy had ever seen - the greatest warrior the galaxy had ever seen.

Revan.

This will be enough.

Enough to disable the Republic.

Enough to conquer its resources, and divert them.

Enough to defeat the menace that lay outside Republic space.

The Republic could not stop him. The Jedi would not - they had no true leader, no one to shore up the whimpering Jedi Council and its old ways, no one to give them backbone and show them how a war had to be fought. Not like before, when they'd rallied under his banner. He had no illusions about himself on that count - he was a good leader, a persuasive leader, but any leader would do; there was nothing special about him. But the Jedi didn't have anyone left with the courage to fight anymore. All of those Jedi had come with him to fight in the Mandalorian War. No, this time, the Jedi would be either under his control, or out of the way.

If they weren't fighting for Revan, they fought against him. Because this wasn't about him.

It wasn't about power, though the Republic would think it was, and probably some of his followers, as well.

It wasn't about anything anyone understood right now. And no one would believe him if he told them. The Jedi thought they knew what was going on - they were wrong. He hadn't even known till three months past that he would be on this course rather than the one they'd plannned. He didn't have a choice. The battle would have to be waged the only way it could.

He'd do it the hard way, because it needed doing. Something new and unusual, Revan thought, a sardonic grin twisting at his lips.

Sensing the approach of one of his subordinates, Revan turned, eyes staring through his mask and gauntleted hands clasped together behind his back. "Report."

"Sir, the Star Forge continues to operate at optimum levels. It has done so without fluctuation for five days, now."

Revan nodded. "Good. Shut it down on schedule, Captain."

"Sir, with all due respect, why not leave it running?" the captain asked.

"Because the Star Forge is not a tool. It has a will of its own, and we cannot afford to let it keep going. Just as Malachor V was a tool, a lure for our enemy, and one that we abandoned when it had served our purpose. We will use the Star Forge, but warily." Revan sighed. It was a pity, really - such places had such great potential, but the cost was far too great. And Malachor V hid secrets of its own, secrets that were the reason he led this new crusade against the Republic. "If we let it keep going, we will come to depend on it. And if the Republic were to find it, to cripple it? What then?"

"Ah... I see. We would be crippled, weakened by our reliance on the device, sir." The captain straightened in understanding, his aura in the Force brightening.

Behind the grim mask, Revan smiled. This one was bright, sharp, worthy of his position. "Exactly. And that is why we of all people cannot come to rely on it. We cannot let ourselves be weakened in any way, Captain. Ever. To let ourselves be weakened, to

2. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Huh. Interesting start, that. Sorry I'm not more coherent for a more thorough review (midterms are killer, yo...), but this looks interesting. I wager that, barring even more school insanity than already present, I'll be following this one. Good to see another KOTOR writer. :)

3. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Glad it works. I've probably got some revision to do, but it's functional. And I don't begrudge you the incoherency brought by midterms; I completely sympathize. Writing is one of my primary means of relaxation at this point. You are, then, another KotOR writer yourself? Excellent... I eagerly await your more coherent review.

- Keralys

4. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Cool Revan as Mandelore awesome idea and yeah i can see how DarthReven inspired you being that he is the Mandelore of the Acolytes. It makes sense and good job cant wait to hear more.:D

5. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Yeah, one throwaway comment from him and here I am... *sigh* See what happens when you become a Fandalorian on top of already being a Jedi Fanboy? Course, this has already gotten a lot more complicated in my head than I initally anticipated. Lots more consequences for different progressions of things than I had foreseen. *rubs forehead* Amazing how things get away from you that way...

I'll be posting more just as soon as I can figure out where to go next. :p

- Keralys

6. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Chapter 1: Before the Storm

She stood before the Jedi Council, defiant.

Long dark hair framed a shapely oval face, with dark brown eyes that could glare pointedly or flash dangerously - as now, taking in the whole of the Council of Masters of the Academy. Fresh Dantooine air swept the glossy brown hair around her shoulders, blowing it over brown and orange Jedi robes, functional if not traditional, that fit her feminine curves flatteringly but not immodestly.

She was a match for most of the Order in every area - more than a match for all but the greatest Masters. Her youth, and her sometimes fiery temper, were moderated by a wisdom that was beyond her years. Her skills with a lightsaber, though not yet at the level of Mastery, were uncontestably among the greatest of any of her peers. Her insight into the nature of the Force itself was often profound.

Yet she was not a Jedi Master.

She was not even a Jedi Knight.

She was still a Padawan.

Because she and the Council agreed on exactly one thing: she was not ready. Not yet. Their reasons were different, of course, yet on that they agreed. She was not ready.

Bastila Shan.

"None of you sense anything? No hint of darkness, no sense of danger about the future?"

"Nothing," came the simple reply from Master Zhar. "The Council has considered carefully. We have spent a good deal of time in meditation about this. And there is nothing, no shadow, that we can sense." His green lekku twitched. "Bastila, I do not know what you are sensing, but it is not in the Force."

Bastila stared. He could not be implying - but he was. He implies the darkness is in me. As always. Do they still not understand me? Bastila sighed. "Master, please. Let me go to investigate it, if nothing else."

"No. First, there is no reason. Second, that area is untamed, too dangerous for one alone, especially one so inexperienced." Master Vandar's ears twitched, his eyes staring up at her out of his diminutive green frame. "Unknown and wild, those outer territories remain. Dangerous, even with the defeat of the Mandalorians."

Bastila stared incredulously at the Masters. "I know that Master. But I can handle myself. You know that as well as I do. I've been taking missions on my own for three years now, since before the beginning of the war."

"Yes, the war." Master Vandar sighed. "There was much that was lost in the war. Much tragedy, much darkness. And much remains in the dark places where the war was fought. Tou will not go there. The Council has decided. There will be no argument, young Bastila."

What is this? she wondered. They're hiding something. "Yes, Master, I understand" she said. Bowing, she took her leave. I understand perfectly. The Council doesn't want something known. Something they're afraid of. They've been wrong before. They're wrong now. Something out there needs dealing with.

There were plenty of ships on Dantooine.

~~~

When she had gone, the Council stared after her for a few minutes.

"I do not like this game we play," Master Zhar said. "It is too dangerous. And the deceptions could be our undoing?"

"Do you have a better suggestion, then?" came Vrook's response. "Have we heard anything from Revan?"

Zhar sighed. "Nothing. Not since he put the plan into motion. Something has gone wrong; the girl is right."

"We know this, Master Zhar." Vandar shook his head. "We sense it as plainly as she. I do not like this either. Especially that we lie to her. She deserves to be a Knight already, and we hold it back to manipulate her. And we leave her in the dark. She deserves our trust."

"But can we give it? The last one we trusted that was as strong as she is - well, Revan is an enigma to all of us, I think." Vrook sighed. "There is nothing that can be done about it. His motives have always been his own, closed to me. And what he does now... Bastila has been set in motion, and if it took lying to

7. DarthReven

DarthReven Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    Sweet man! I am really enjoying this. I cant belive i gave the kernal thougt for a Fic. You have a one of a kind fic here Keralys, and you are doing a superb job with it. I can wait for the next post.

8. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Thanks. Amazing what an offhand suggestion turns into, isn't it? :p I'm going to try to take it a bit farther yet tomorrow, I've got some good ideas for the rough outline of where to go next.

Just out of curiousity, how does one go about acquiring a good critical readership around here, anyway, hmm? [face_thinking] I definitely need good feedback to tweak this. I am going to just keep posting, regardless, and hopefully somebody enjoys it.

- Keralys

9. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Hm, the council knows something about her father that we don't? [face_thinking]

Unfortunately, building up a good KOTOR readership can be a touch difficult. I've got about five steady readers for Blue Side, my main fic (which is in sore need of updating... thank goodness for fall break), which I think is pretty good. We're a small knot of writers, but we've got spirit. :D

And, since I already answered your previous question, yes I do write KOTOR fics. The biggies are in my profile, and I've got half a gabillion on KOTOR Fan Media (also linked in t3h profile). If you're not familiar with KFM, you should check it out. Lots of good KOTOR fics over there, I think you'd fit in nicely. ;)

Good update, and I hope to see more soon. :)

10. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    WOW! revan as mandalore huh? THAT certainly is an interesting idea! certainly a unique take on my favorite EU character.. very well written too!
    sweet! i have a new kotor story to read! i look forward to the next post!:)

11. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    For starters: thank you very much to everyone who's started reading this!
    They know something about both of her parents that we - or rather you - don't. I know exactly what her lineage is. ;) She thinks she knows it, they do know it, and it will definitely influence her character arc. But you have to wait and see. Suffice it to say that her backstory is going to probably be a surprise.
    Okay, cool. I'm new to posting on these boards in general, my other fic's readers are mostly from another fic in which I've posted, people who figured they'd give mine a try because I gave them a head's up about it - great people. DarthReven's one of them. :D But I have no idea what gets readers in general on these boards, so I'm happy that I'm at three right now. :D

I'll definitely take a look at your stuff. I like KotOR era stuff. It's not an era in which I've read or written very much - in fact, this is my first foray into the area writing-wise, but the Fandalorian/Jedi Fanboy cross got me thinking this way. So I said, "Here goes nothing," and it seems to be going all right so far.
    *bows* Thank you. [face_blush] I'm glad you found it an interesting concept. I certainly did; that of course being why I'm here writing it. :p I've got a ton of math and physics work to get done today, but assuming I finish that stuff, I'll be updating this; I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to post next.

- Keralys

12. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    Hmm, so you will be expanding Bastial'as past? interesting. I wonder what other Jedi will see, when they see Revan. Or what Canderous percives of the new Mandalore. Certainly a interesting angle to explore. I wonder what revan feels of the Mandalorians who deserted the Mandalorian fleet, in the last days of the war. Not kindly, i would suspect.

By the way, Keralys, when i see a flaw in writing, i speak up. However, yours is one of the few i can find no flaw, some i cant right something bad about the fic. If something bad, or not supreamly as good as the rest of the fic comes up, i will voice my opinions. However, with this grade of writing, i dbout that will hapen.

13. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Looking good so far an interesting twist with council knowing of both Bastila's parents and the traits she is showing. Waiting to read more so keep em coming.:D

14. RevaDurron

RevaDurron Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2005
    I like this very much. :D

Anything about Bastilla and Revan is a plus for me.

Keep up the good work.

15. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    *nerdgasm*

I'm glad to see it has begun. This is going to one wild, unforgettable ride.....

16. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Thanks, everyone! This is my rough cut of the next section at this point; it'll probably get edited a bit till I'm happy with it.
    ---
    Chapter 2: Winds

The sensors tech officer for the Republic fleet cruiser Majesty blinked sleepily at his watch screen. "Cap'n, when do we get some shore leave?" There hadn't been a blip moving on that screen with hostile tags in four months, now, and the Republic still wanted them on combat alert, all the time.

"When the Republic tells us it's safe to stand down, Lieutenant Ennely," came the captain's response.

"Do you have any idea how long that might be, sir? Because with all due respect to the necessary authorities and all that kriffing garbage, there hasn't been a hint of an angry freighter captain showing up on this sensor screen for a couple months now. I don't know about everybody else, but I'd really like to get some R and R."

The man at the gunnery station to Ennery's right, Chekway, spun in his chair with a chuckle. "I know exactly what you mean. There are a couple of ladies down on Telos I'd like to get... reacquainted with, if you catch my drift."

Ennely laughed as he watched a small piece of paper come flying at Chekway from the general direction of one of the female crew on the bridge.

"I think we catch your meaning," he said with a chuckle. "So Cap'n, what's the word from Command on the reasons for this, anyway? Cause I've my wife I'd like to be seeing myself, and for that matter I'd just like to take a long walk on the solid ground."

"Well, apparently, they think there might be some threat left from the Mandalorians, and they don't want to take any chances getting blindsided again - by anything." The captain looked mildly amused. "Course, leave it to the guys up in Command to figure that we're going to do better in combat if we're sitting around at maximum operational readiness all the time." The crew chuckled along with him. It would be the kind of Hutt-brained idea Command would come up with. No crew could stay at maximum efficiency for long without a threat to be on alert against.

After four months of "maximum efficiency," we're a lot closer to mediocre than we would be if they'd just let us stand down and act like we normally do in peace-time, Ennely thought with some bemusement. We'd all be a lot less kriffing tired, that's for sure. "They have any reason for thinking that, Captain?" he asked.

"If they do, they're not sharing," the Captain answered.

"Huh. Figures," Chekway remarked. "I thought everything was supposed to calm down and be over after all that crap at Malachor V."

"Yeah, well, so did all the rest of us. Course, none of us expected Revan to just disappear after the battle like he did, either, or that the battle itself would go the way it did." The Captain sighed. "I think something's going on that Command isn't telling us. And I think they're paranoid with Revan disappearing the way he did."

"Makes sense, I guess," Ennely agreed. "Maybe some of that has something to do with the fact that our patrol strengths have been cut in half since then."

The Captain looked distinctly unhappy at that. "I've had the same thought myself, Ennely, and it's not one I like. If whatever happened at Malachor hurt the Republic bad enough that we're at half strength because of that, then I don't think I even want to know what happened there."

Ennely grunted. The Captain was right on that count. There were rumors - rumors of betrayal, of madness and death on scales unimaginable. But there were always rumors in the military, especially when Jedi got involved. Soldiers were by their nature superstitious beings in large part. And Jedi only compounded that.

"I don't think I want to know, either, Cap'n. There's rumors, you know..."

"I know. I've heard the rumors. I don't believe them."

"But the admiral, and -"

"I said I know, Lieutenant," the Captain snapped. "If Admiral Karath didn't come back from that battle, though, y

17. RevaDurron

RevaDurron Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2005
    Wow, that was quick.

Nice update! :D

18. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Very good:D

Watchout for Mandelore never believe rumours:p

19. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Thanks, guys.

It was quick. I needed something to distract myself from working through some calculations that required the use of second-order ordinary differential equations, so I wrote this in between doing those calculations. Blech. Like I said, it's going to get some editing done to it, I think, though it turned out better than I expected.

Anyway, more will come within the next week, at least, and probably sooner than that.

And feel free to post more specifics if you want to - I'm open to any kind of criticism etc.

- Keralys

20. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    Nice post. I really enjoyed the captain's little thoughts, with the rumors, and reacquainted stuff. My fav part was the last lines, with Malachor's dead ships, and Mandalore etc. Heh, it reminded me of the oppening cinematics of Descent Freespace, a computer game that isnt starwars.

21. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Good, glad you liked it.

I actually had that cinematic in the back of my head when I first conceptualized this scene. I wanted to capture that feeling of panic, of absolutely not knowing what was going on or how to respond. I think it came across well. I also think that it definitely came across as its own thing, not that cinematic translated over - at least, I hope it did.

- Keralys

22. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    wow, good update! this is certainly going to be interesting!
    that was very well written and the dialogue between the captain and his subordinates flowed quite well.
    i think revan is going to crush everybody! no one stands a chance against him!!!!

23. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Wow.

Why didn't this happen in the KotOR games?

24. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    *bows* Vor'e. That is, thank you. ;) Interesting doesn't even begin to describe it. As for Revan, well, I think the way things go will surprise pretty much everyone. Likely, me included, at this point. :p
    Hrm... probably because they didn't hire me as the script writer. :p Heh. Seriously, I love the script for KotOR, it's one of my favorite game plots of all time - in fact, Revan is one of my favorite EU characters of all time anyway, just because of how well Bioware did with that character arc.

My interpretation of things is both different and the same. I want to explore a couple themes with this particular story, one of them being destiny. You'll see that as we get farther along, I think. [face_devil]

- Keralys

25. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    Really? You have played Descent Freespace? I lovded tha game, i still play it every once in a while... You did a great job your scene was similar, but not in a bad, copying way. Totaly unique. Next post soon?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.