Revenge Got People's Choice!

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by LilyHobbitJedi, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mange Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm very, very glad. IMDB can go and hide.
  2. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    CJedi - You seem to be trying to nudge the estatic folks towards not being so estatic. Let it be. ;) We aren't going to argue in this thread. It is not for that. Thanks! :)
  3. SlytherinHouse Force Ghost

star 4

Trying not to be negative...

It's nice to see ROTS take this win, until you see fans say, "Thank God!!1!!1 I voted, like, 5 million times!!" Seems a bit unbalanced there. Silver lining, though, is that maybe this will help those who don't like it simply because it's cool to hate on Star Wars to look past their bias.

Sly
  4. JediRandy Jedi Youngling

star 4
    You Basher Sanctuary types looooooooooove to twist things to make yourselves sound smart. No matter what happens, it's twisted to back your opinions. If Sith lost this award, you'd be typing with Basher Glee about how the people like Batman Begins better, how it was a better film, Nolan is a genius, etc... Instead when Sith wins these awards are meaningless, the voters are idiots, etc. Same thing happened when the big Basher proclamation was that Sith was going to "bomb" at the box office... that didn't happen, so you had to make more excuses, after that you guys latched on to how Kong making more money than Sith... that didn't happen either.

You love those Lucas "contradictions" but they're only contradictions in the Basher Sanctuary, where twisting things around to make yourselves sound like NYU Film Professors has been taken to a new level. It's the Bizzaro World of Movie Fans.... a place where you can read things from how Luca$ throws puppies off of a bridge to Martin Scorsese is the most overrated director in history (that one is true)?

Lucas makes movies he wants? it just so happens there?s a few million other people who want to see those kinds of movies. They?re not made for critics or Hollywood? that?s what he meant by that statement, Battlewars? but keep on twisting stuff around. The folks in the BS have turned that into an art form.

As for you guys who think Batman Begins was better? keep in mind that that movie was an attempt to resurrect a long dead franchise. It was a fun flick, but people have seen it before.
  5. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I still think he is correct. No matter how you put it. I agree with him. They do not like him given the fact SW did not get many awards. Everyone said how great ESB was and it was a great story and acting etc. But won tech awards. So why did that not win and major awards? I loved his speech.
  6. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    But I am sure it is alright if BB fans did it. There was no limit on voting. So if there is no limit and the site allows muttiple votings I see nothing wrong with it. It would be ideal to just have one vote and that is it. But this site allowed multiple voting. It was limited to one per day though.
  7. Leonard_Shelby Force Ghost

star 6
    Awesome! Congrats to George, the cast, crew and to the TRUE fans! This film deserved it. :cool:

=D=

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.
  8. Dezdmona Jedi Master

star 4
    Agreed.

What George DOESN'T do is make films for the CRITICS, BASHERS,
    or other industry types who have ostracized him for not playing their game.

And, while fans of Sith may have voted more than once,
    fans of the other films had the same opportunity.

It appears the winning film generated the most passion.
  9. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Hey, pretty cool. It's a nice award (2 awards!) to win due to the different method of collecting votes as opposed to the Oscar industy method. An MTV award or two would also be cool, here's hoping.

Let's not have any basher-gusher stuff kick off here though please. If you want to post celebrations or disappointment fine, but don't labour the point.
  10. CJedi72 Jedi Youngling

star 4
  11. leia1964 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Great to see that the PEOPLE have spoken!

Saw this on RT.com and thought I would share; just infuriates me that they just have to get their 'digs' in even in light of the fact that RotS is a movie loved by the PEOPLE, and obviously not the critics or the industry... these guys (and Hollywood) just don't get it.

Just a sample:

Favorite Movie Drama: "Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith"
    Also nominated: "Batman Begins" & "Coach Carter"

Favorite Movie: "Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith"
    Also nominated: "Batman Begins" & "Hitch"

(OK, I'll let 'em get away with the overall movie pick since "Sith" was huge at the box office and I really dug it a whole lot, but ... BEST DRAMA??? The "American public" chose Star Wars freakin' 3 as best drama??? Oh, people. You must stop. Why make the U.S. even more of a global laughing stock? "Brokeback Mountain" is a drama. "Good Night, and Good Luck." is a drama! "Munich," "A History of Violence," "Crash," "Walk the Line," and alllll of THESE MOVIES are dramas. Sorry, but I figure a working knowledge of genre classifications is a minimum requirement if you're going to vote on any sort of movie poll ... even one this painfully silly. Next year they'll give "BloodRayne" best musical.)

My apologies to the folks on the People's Choice payroll for my derisive mockery, but c'mon, you guys made it way too easy. And I challenge anyone to explain to me how "Star Wars 3" qualifies as a drama."

I could go on forever about this guy's comments but just wanted to add that the movies he is siting as a drama (Munich, Brokeback, Crash) are not necessarily movies the PEOPLE opted to go out and see (just look at the b.o. numbers) and that's why we have awards like the Academy and the Critic's Choice! Sheeeeeeesh!
  12. CJedi72 Jedi Youngling

star 4
  13. JediRandy Jedi Youngling

star 4
  14. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    Well, I don't know if you could class ROTS as a Drama, but I thought it was quite dramatic when Anakin caught fire... ;)
  15. Veloz Force Ghost

star 6
    I totally forgot about the PCA, but awesome to see ROTS got 2 awards =D= .. Sith indeed got it's Revenge ;)
  16. RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus

star 7
    There's no reason to be fighting amongst ourselves here when we have such good news. Personally, I voted only once and thought the whole thing was heavily industry loaded. I'm glad RotS won, and you're darned right I'd be complaining if it lost. That's what fans do. ;)

17. mastersith69 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    How many of you want to bet that those artsy fartsy people who vote for movies like brokedick mountain, or good night and who cares, are throwing there glasses of wine at there cd players playing orchestra music yelling "What is this world coming too."

I'm still glad though that they have peoples awards where we as normal people can vote.
  18. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I agree with Rolando. We should take what we can get! :p The whole thing is a bit silly, but I did vote once, and it is a better indication of what the actual moviegoers like rather than critics. But if you look it like that, ROTS WAS the people's choice as it was far and away the most watched movie of '05. [face_dancing]
  19. Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost

star 4
    ROTS IS AN EPIC DRAMA.

This makes NO SENSE AT ALL!!!! He could make a lot of money releasing it, but he doesn't. That makes him the OPPOSITE of a money-grabbing hack.

20. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    It got to awards that nice and all. But really it could win ever award you think of and I would not care. I'm not into Star Wars for all the awards it would get. But hey at lest it won. But hey it won and I guess it's something to be happy about. But I'm more happy that I like it and that I know have all six movies on DVD. :)
  21. Obi-Wan-1000 Force Ghost

star 4
    I voted for episode 3 alot of times.:D I think the star wars movies are the best movies ever.[face_peace] :cool: :D
  22. lovelucas Force Ghost

star 4
    happy for my favorite movies of all time and George Lucas. However, my take on his speech is he has acknowledged and surrendered any hope of RotS receiving anything golden at all - no Globes, no Oscars, - and now we're all wondering if anyone or anything will be nominated that is "tainted" with the Lucas name and that includes John Williams (re: Star Wars), and Trisha Biggar which is just a crime - and this even after the two Costumes of Star Wars major events on both coasts. The FIDM - Dressing a Galaxy was held nearly underneath that Hollywood sign - you could see it clearly from the street. and yet absolutely nothing George does will change closed minds of the Empire. He will always have us...but I so want for him to have that acknowledgment from his peers. He deserves at least that.
  23. CJedi72 Jedi Youngling

star 4

He does get acknowledged by his peers. In 1992 he got the Irving G. Thalberg Award by the academy which is presented to creative producers whose bodies of work reflect a consistently high quality of motion picture production. For the academy awards, that is a huge honor.

In 2005, he received an AFI Lifetime Achievement Award which Spielberg, DeNiro, and Harrison Ford were the other honorees who received this award in the last 5 years.

Every OT film was nominated for an oscar, even the inferior ROTJ, and Star Wars, the original won 7 Academy Awards in 1977.

He has been recognized, and all this hatred hasn't been cause he left the screen guild or he has his own company. Lucas just starting doing this rant that the public and critics don't like him since they trashed TPM, he never said this stuff on a regular basis when the OT was smashing all box office records , this is his way of deflecting attention that some fans and critics, and not all but some, actually don't like some of the PT movies because ...........they just don't like them. Nothing personal.
  24. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Those are awards to him as a person and film maker. Not his films. ANH pulled in the most awards of different types. TESB and ROTJ pulled in technical awards.

Yes, he makes movies for fans. People who aren't concerned with critics and box office estimates. People who just want to be entertained. This past year has shown that few films have done very well at the box office. Among the films that have done well this last year, ROTS was the most consistant week in and week out. A lot of people liked it. Let's avoid going into arguments about the pros and cons of Lucas and his ways. Let's just be happy that the last film got an award.
  25. RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Actually that's not true. Go back to the original reviews for the original releases of the films and you'll find just as many (if not more) critics lambasting the OT as they do now with the PT. Nothing's changed. While filming Phantom Menace in Tunisia Lucas took to wearing a T-shirt with quotes from a critic who claimed Star Wars was the worst thing to ever happen to film. This isn't new. They've been roasting him alive for decades now. It's just convenient for some fans to pretend the Special Edition reviews are proof positive that the OT was loved and the PT is hated.

Whatever floats your speeder.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.