main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Revenge Got People's Choice!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by LilyHobbitJedi, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    People in Hollywood have had it in for Lucas since "THX-1138" and "American Graffetti". He was a maverick who wanted to do things his way and not the execs way. He's had issues with them dating back to those films. And with ANH, there were critics who just lamblasted the film. As time went on, certain critics were forced to reassess their review. Some did have positive reviews in the first place. But there were also a lot of negative ones. TESB, the one that is the favored of the OT, had some scathing reviews. Including ones by Pauline Kael, who loved everything Star Wars. Many have called Lucas and Speilberg the ones who destroyed cinema, with their big blockbuster films, like Jaws and Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

2. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    "SW fans" is such a curious term.
    This is TheForce.Net.
    A SW message board.
    The biggest unofficial SW message board in the world.
    And yet everyone seems to refer to "SW fans" in the third person... as if they were over there, stashed in a box in the corner.
    A statistic.
    A demographic.

SW fans think this; SW fans think that; this is for the fans; that is for the fans - it's like it's a dirty word or something.

Unless people stumbled here by accident thinking this was TediousFlower-arranging.Net, and decided to stay for the hell of it - we are all SW fans here.
    No, really - you must be.
    I must be - or I wouldn't be here.
    You can try and disassociate yourself from one group or another.
    But it is like when people try to blame things on society.
    You ARE society.
    I hate those kind of crazy arguments.
    Person A: "Well... violent movies are bad, because people go and watch them and then they go out and - like - murder people and stuff...."
    Me: "And have you ever seen a violent movie?"
    Person A: "Yes. It was very violent. It made me feel quite ill."
    Me: "And have you ever killed anyone?"
    Person A: "No."
    Me: "Then stop presuming that 'society' is this special group of easily led, docile, weak-minded, virtuless, soulless, lazy people that magically and conveniently doesn't include you. It does include you!"

Same goes for SW fans.
    They are not - "over there", "being fooled" by Lucas and his games.
    The are sat staring at YOUR computer with their hands eagerly poised over YOUR keyboard.
    They are YOU.
    Everyone here should be pretty thrilled for Lucas to have won an award.
    I can't think of one good reason anyone who posts here should not be...

Well done, George.

3. CJedi72

CJedi72 Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 29, 2005

Of course there are critics who lambast every director. I know there were people that hated the original SW, and thought that was ridiculous even in 1977. But the same goes for Spielberg, Ron Howard, James Cameron, and Robert Zemeckis.

Titanic was hated by many critics, they said the love story was bad, and James Cameron can't write dialogue. Sound familiar? Do you remmeber when the public loved Forrest Gump in 1994, and many critics couldn't figure out why, either you loved Gump or absolutely hated it. Ron Howard constantly got buried for making sappy lightweight films until he did Apollo 13, they always accuse him and Spielberg of going for that easy heart wrenching moment at the end of their movies.

My point is every director takes their crap from the critics, and it will be this way forever. I just get tired of hearing that Lucas is the only one who never gets credit. He gets just as much credit as the next director, just as he gets bashed as much as that same director in the same vein. That is just the world of movie reviewers, they just give an opinion, I mean who really cares what a critic says, that doesn't sway me whether I am going to see a movie. I actually like that they hate SW, it keeps them from getting too arrogant about the public, cause we like something they don't understand.

I wish Lucas would just accept these awards now with grace, instead of taking useless shots at critics and studios, just to justify that they are wrong for burying his prequels. Seeing him next to his daughter last night is the reason I always liked Lucas, cause he is one of the few family men in Hollywood who actually puts his kids first above his career. Then he goes into his usual, "This is the reason the critics don't love my movies.....baloney." Just accept with grace George, cause you have earned it, and you have proved that SW fans are the most loyal no matter what the critics say.

Now give us the O-OT on DVD, you owe us older fans something for supporting you for 28 years!
    [:D]

4. Vader666

Vader666 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 3, 2003
    Hey, George looked good in the suit. I think the award is well deserved. The movie had its flaws but ultimately it was very satisfying.

5. darthsidious6666

darthsidious6666 Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2006
    Go ROTS! [face_dancing] It's awesome it got those awards.

6. jasperjones

jasperjones Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Billy Dee Binks, that was precisely my point. If he really was just about the money he could churn out the O-OT just for the money he would make. Personally I think it would be a great idea if he had and would paper over a lot of the cracks in SW fandom, which, point taken we are all a part of.

Cjedi72, I agree about the family man thing. He also came across very well during his AFI award.

7. Anakenobi

Anakenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2004
    Yeah, that's true. But some here either have alzaheimer or were wearing diapers (or still in a test tube) when the OT movies got bad reviews. They seem to WANT to ignore such thing actually happened.

Anywhoo, GONGRATS TO GEORGE LUCAS FOR THE TWO (COUNT THEM) TWO AWARDS BY THE PPL! =D=

Oh! and about Goerge saying that SW doesn't win any awards? It's easy to understand what he actually meant to say:

"SW DOESN'T WIN ANY AWARDS (BY THE HOLLYWOOD CRITICS)!"

I mean during the Critics Choice Awards Episode III was totally ignored...totally... and so were that very award show judging by the ratings it got compare to the PPL's awards. [face_thinking]

8. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    You are no Doc Brown yet. [face_mischief]

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas will never release the THX OT versions ever again. So people are going to deal with it. He's locked the rights up and no one can do what they want, after he is dead.

10. ObiVanKenobi

ObiVanKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2004
    Well said G_i_G. It was cool to see Ole George get the only award he really cares about.

11. DINVADER_RETURNS

DINVADER_RETURNS Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2003

Actually that's not true. Go back to the original reviews for the original releases of the films and you'll find just as many (if not more) critics lambasting the OT as they do now with the PT. Nothing's changed. While filming Phantom Menace in Tunisia Lucas took to wearing a T-shirt with quotes from a critic who claimed Star Wars was the worst thing to ever happen to film. This isn't new. They've been roasting him alive for decades now. It's just convenient for some fans to pretend the Special Edition reviews are proof positive that the OT was loved and the PT is hated.

To add to your points, just how many people reviewed the OT movies when they came out compared to the amount of reviews today?

12. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    I wonder if ROTS would have won if the SW geeks hadn't flooded the ballots... o_O ;)

13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The real award is the Oscar for Special Visual Effects. Thats the one that counts, all the others are like a Bud Light. Less filling, but taste great.

14. Magical_Maestro

Magical_Maestro Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2005
    [face_thinking] Gee, I wonder how many other people did the exact same thing?

Agreed. Lucas' suit was very sharp.

"Always with you what cannot be done." The truth is George will release the O-OT on DVD at some point. He's too greedy not to. Besides, how can you be so confident in anything this man says? Almost everything Star Wars related he's spoken about can be contradicted by an earlier statement. And history will repeat itself once again, and this time it will be for the better.

15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The reason why is becuase the OT movies keep getting fixed hear and there, and GL included Hayden in ROTJ ending. That dosen't sound like a man that wants to release the OT in the original form.

16. Anakenobi

Anakenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2004

Pfft! What you said could be applied to every freakin' winner on that award show.

The fanatics/dorks/geeks of every movie/tv-movie star voted on an award show about their entusiasm of what they liked the most during 2006. Such is life.

It so happens that there are more active SW fans out there... and let's not underestimate the fans of the film (ROTS) who couldn't care less for the SW franchise and who went to see a good film last summer and who also voted for it on the Ppl's choice award show.

But some few will always complain no matter what...such is their so called life! [face_laugh]

17. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    And the applause continues! =D=

18. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    The fanatics/dorks/geeks of every movie/tv-movie star voted on an award show about their entusiasm of what they liked the most during 2006. Such is life.

Darn, I missed a year. :p

And yet everyone seems to refer to "SW fans" in the third person... as if they were over there, stashed in a box in the corner.

I guess thats what I get for being stashed in a box in the corner. :p

19. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    I was funny how he basically gave the critics and the hollywood studios an obvious verbal finger, without lifting a finger!

20. Magical_Maestro

Magical_Maestro Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2005
    Anybody have a link that's got Lucas talking smack/alluding to talking smack about the film industry? I'd love to see it.

21. darthsidious6666

darthsidious6666 Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2006
    Yeah, same here. I missed the awards, unfortunately.

22. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Yes!!! Finally!!! On the third and final prequel, justice is given. This is truely like a dream come true for me. After all of the bashing, "worst of" awards and such the first two got and even a mild backlash here recently by a few publications for ROTS, this award feels SO GOOD to have. And to have even beaten Batman Begins...wow!!

Is there anyway some of us who missed the airing last night see clips of this??? I would love to.

23. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    That's what I'm wondering, too. I'd love to see our main man accepting his awards from Harrison. Feel pretty sick that I missed it.

24. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    No video or audio, but you can catch some pictures and a transcription on the first page of this thread.

25. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I wonder if you can find it downloadable at one of those file sharing sites? Hmmmm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.