main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Revenge of the Sith and Hamlet

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Frank1212, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank1212

Frank1212 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 2001
    I suddenly can't help but notice profound similarities between one of the greatest motion picture sagas in history and one of the greatest literary works in history. Particularly, it is the comparison between Anakin and Hamlet that draws the most parallels.

-Both stories are tragedies. Both ROTS and Hamlet detail the transformation of one good-willed character into a bad - and possibly insane - character.

-Both stories deal heavily with obsession. In the case of Anakin, it is his obsession to keep Padme safe. For Hamlet, it is his obsession to avenge his father's death. For both Anakin and Hamlet, this obsession leads them into madness.

-Both stories also deal heavily with the theme of betrayal. Anakin loses trust in those whom he loves (i.e. Obi-Wan and Padme) as well as Hamlet (i.e. Ophelia and his mother).

-Another major theme is the death of love. At a point in both stories, Anakin and Hamlet cease to have any feelings of love and become mired in hate.

-Both Anakin and Hamlet are motivated and manipulated by a single entity. For Anakin, it's Palpatine. For Hamlet, it's the ghost of his father.

-Although both Anakin and Hamlet become villains towards the end of their respective stories, the readers don't interpret their characters as evil. Rather, we believe that they had become tainted and corrupted by an outside force.

It's truly amazing how two stories that are completely different and probably won't draw any comparisons in an English literature course can be so alike. Perhaps when stripped down to its most bare self, Revenge of the Sith tells a story that everyone can relate to.

2. Seigiryu

Seigiryu Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 27, 2002
    Interesting...I also like the Orpheus comparison...

3. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Of course we can get to the point where we see things in the shadows that aren't there but...

-Ophelia and Amidala are both pretty much doomed by their love for the protagonist of the tale.

-Luke (as the protagonistof the old trilogy) and Hamlet are both visited by ghosts. Anakin may be as well in ROTS.

-In both, the personal turmoil and descent into madness of the lead character is mirrored by the dissolution of the state into chaos.

4. JMax

JMax Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2003
    Both Lucas' and Shakespeares' middle name is "Hank"

5. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Both Anakin and Hamlet are motivated and manipulated by a single entity. For Anakin, it's Palpatine. For Hamlet, it's the ghost of his father.
    That goes ever further. In the old trilogy, Luke becomes a Jedi thinking that he will follow in his father's footsteps, and avenge the death of his family--both the Larses and his father, whose deaths he blames on Vader. Vader, however, encourages Luke's vengeful thoughts. Hamlet is quite aware that his own resentment may be leading him astray, and is warned by his father not to let this happen. He is told to leave his mother out of it, he doesn't.

Like Hamlet, Anakin comes to see those he was close to as obstacles and enemies. Hamlet has no remorse about sending three characters to their deaths (Ophelia, Rosencranz, Guildenstern.)

Although both Anakin and Hamlet become villains towards the end of their respective stories, the readers don't interpret their characters as evil. Rather, we believe that they had become tainted and corrupted by an outside force.

Both also ultimately achieve their mission. Hamlet kills Claudius, and Anakin kills Palpatine. Vader killing Palpatine, however, is seen as the ultimate act of justice. With Hamlet, it's more ambiguous. That he squandered his original opportunity in favor of catching his uncle red handed indicates he was more interested in revenge than in justice.

6. Darth Trypsin

Darth Trypsin Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2000
    Very intersting indeed, I have never read Hamlet, maybe I will if I take english lit.

I've also heard Star Wars is based roughly on the story of Beowulf.

7. JMax

JMax Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2003
    I've heard EPIII may have elements of Fletch Lives' screenplay but I'm waiting to see it for myself before I make a fool of myself.

8. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    I think you're more likely to find elements of Beowulf in The Lord of the Rings, particularly in the culture of Rohan. In fact, the name Eorl (as in The House of Eorl, which refers to Theoden's bloodline) is lifted from Beowulf, as is the name Meduseld (Mead or Beer Hall), and the exchange outside its doors between Gandalf and Hama regarding the bearing of weapons inside the Great Hall.

9. slobadog

slobadog Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Also you will find the words Middle-Earth and Eomer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.