main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Revenge of the Sith: Comedy and/or Tragedy?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Pyrogenic, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    "They have many names...Yin and Yang...push and pull...may I introduce you to the mysterious Ocean and Moon spirits?"[face_rofl] - The Last Airbender

"Comedy." *Etymology.* "Revel." *Etymology.* "Rebel." *Etymology.* "War!"
    "Tragedy." *Etymology.* "Goat." *Etymology.* "Kid!"

Aesthetically and philosophically, I believe that Revenge of the Sith may be the greatest original comic text this side of Kill Bill and The Matrix Reloaded.

What makes something comic and/or tragic? I once took and successfully passed a cultural studies/comparative literature course in college called "Comedy: Text and Theory," and the answer is...

Revenge of the Sith?!

Given everything I've learned on the subject of Comedy and the object of Revenge of the Sith, it's as if this movie was designed to teach the class. This is my personal observation. I don't think the movie ever came up. LOL.

I have access to writings/readings of/about Adorno, Bakhtin, Bergson, Buck-Morss, Chekov, Cixous, Freud, Frye, Kafka, Meredith, Moliere, Nietzsche, Nisker, Olsen, Rowe, Schiller, Stallybrass, Steinem, Sypher, etc. and I would love to have an ongoing discussion on the topic!

Where to begin? I don't know. My old notebook from the class is literally the only one I'm missing. Uh...I'll throw these terms out there via Bakhtin:

Carnivalesque
    Ambivalent
    Grotesque
    Universal

OMG...

*CHALLENGER APPROACHING*

Darth Vader, is that you?! No, it's Michelangelo's The Last Judgment!
    [​IMG]
    An example of Comedy! Darth Vader's face is a comic structure. My friend noticed this one several years ago. It even has Yoda swinging a giant spoon on a boat and Palpatine wrapped in tentacles...on a Hell!

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    this thread has gone right over my head( ;) )....unfortunately.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  3. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    11:11 - 11:22

MisterVader as Anakin Skywalker
    Dandelo as Obi-Wan Kenobi

4. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Hmmm, yes.

[​IMG]

I like the cut of your jib.

MisterVader likes this.
  5. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Comedy as the Senate is somehow convinced a massacre on the entire Jedi order, including the children was necessary to protect the Republic and also to have someone as Emperor for life.

SkywalkerOG likes this.
  6. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

No republic in the history of the world has ever been able to justify the killing of children during wartime, especially not ones who could reasonably be portrayed as combatants. Nor has any republic ever willingly transformed itself into a dictatorship.

I'm with you on this. These are major plotholes.

7. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    The question is wheter The Senate knows about the deaths of those children. Because Palpatine never mentions that.

8. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    This kind of transition has occurred throughout history - including early Rome, Germany, Britain, and France.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    Britain,
    -------
    ??

when?

10. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Yesterday. The bombing starts in five minutes.

11. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    Is this sarcasm? Virtually every republic in history has killed children and justified it - particularly the larger ones that have had more interests beyond their own borders. And several of the Axis powers (the archetypal "dictatorships") were transformed republics.

As for the OP, I can't say follow..

12. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Yes, it sometimes saddens me to see such arrogance in people like us who share the privilege to live in an age with the ability to learn from past's mistakes.

Nevertheless, what about drone attacks? There are plenty of children killed by drone attacks in middle east and it's totally accepted by almost every Western government and parliament. They are considered "collateral damages" in service of "more security", which isn't too far from the Younglins' fates. Anakin obviously doesn't "want" to kill the children, but he and Sidious (and the Senate) consider it a "necessary evil" in service of more security ("civil war with no end").

I'm not intending to "judge" anyone, but it's easy to laugh at things (past or fiction) from the outside whereas it's completely different when you're in the middle of it. Questioning ourselves is more challenging than judging others.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Or, for a more serious answer - Britain was a Republic for a short time after the English Civil War - and then it became a dictatorship under Oliver Cromwell.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    well that's debatable Iron Lord (the dictatorship thing) but I suppose this is not the thread for that :p

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Probably not. I got the impression that "Cromwell The Military Dictator" was a pretty widely accepted description of him, even by his fans, though.

16. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    I got the impression that "Cromwell The Military Dictator" was a pretty widely accepted description of him
    ------

well, by that you are correct, yes.

So this is going way off topic isn't it? :p

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The quote that first brought "republic leaders giving away their power" up:

And the response (sounded a bit sarcastic to me):

All in all I'd say that ROTS doesn't cross the line into comedy just because of Senatorial stupidity - though there are slapstick moments in it (Artoo and the super battle droids spring to mind).

18. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    Palpatine's hammy performance during the whole Mace sequence could be seen as comedic too :p

Iron_lord and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  19. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Am I the only one who got that The_Phantom_Calamari was being sarcastic?

Centralized state power -- without a million checks and balances -- is a cancerous configuration of the human social ethic. We all suffer under its yoke.

But some suffer more than others. Drone attacks are a particularly appalling (meaning apt/well-chosen by you) example.

As David Begor wrote in his sharp analysis of AOTC in 2002: "every democracy is part Republic and part Empire."

An axiom with chilling implications.

20. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    So could be his no less hammy performance in Return of the Jedi.

Alienware likes this.
  21. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    Let me try to get it back on-track!

Anakin never experiences a "downfall" like an ordinary, unchanging tragic hero.

A loss of power? Opposite!
    A loss of prosperity? Opposite!
    A loss of status? Opposite!

Anakin turning into Vader is a comic success story!

22. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    *shrug*

The eggplant toward an anomaly If the tornado defined by the customer assimilates a chain saw, then the frozen crane hibernates.

Pyrogenic likes this.