Revenge of the Sith Duel: Did Obi-Wan win or did Anakin lose?

Discussion in 'Cleveland, OH' started by DonC, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonC Jedi Master

star 4
    They may seem like the same thing, but really, they aren't. It's like when a sports announcer says New York didn't win, Washington lost. What he means is Washington was the better team, they just made a critical mistake that cost them the game. So my question is this: Was Anakin the better swordsman who just made a critical mistake or was Obi-Wan the better swordsman all along who was just trying to talk Anakin back from the Dark Side?

I think Obi-Wan won. He could have taken Anakin at any time, he was just drawing out the fight hoping his "brother" would come back to the light.
  2. TheRandomMenace Jedi Master

star 4
    Great topic... It has been said many times, even by Lucas himself, that the two are quite evenly matched, but for different reasons. Anakin is definitely the more powerful of the two, but lacks the experience (and maturity and wisdom) Obi-Wan has. Obi-Wan has the experience but lacks power. I believe this also factors into why Obi-Wan adopts a style that is more defensive than it is aggressive.

Personally, I think Anakin lost. He was more powerful than Obi-Wan, including the use of his newly acquired Dark Side powers. (I seem to remember hearing he was originally going to chuck objects at Obi-Wan with the Force similar to how he does with Luke on Cloud City, but that was cut out somewhere between conceptualizing the movie and the final cut) I think had Anakin kept his emotions in check and not let his ego get the best of him, that he could have and would have beaten Obi-Wan. It was his battle to lose, and he did due to his critical mistake.
  3. Padawan92 Jedi Master

star 4
    hummm....that is a hard question! Meditate on this I will.... lol....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.