main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Revenge of the Sith DVD thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    Tellem steve dave!

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    See, SM, that does not make sense. ;)

Americans think that the black bars cut off the tops and bottom what? :p

E_S

3. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    I'm confused :_|

4. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Americans think that the black bars cut off the tops and bottom what?

the uh, picture?!

It made perfect sense to anyone who read it. At least I'm not typing leetspeak or substituting letters for numbers. (And no, I'm not saying you are either.)

5. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    Ender_Sai posted on 6/22/05 10:25pm
    See, [b]SM[/b], that does not make sense. [face_wink]

Americans think that the black bars cut off the tops and bottom [i]what[/i]? [face_tongue]

E_S
    [hr][/blockquote]

of the picture LOL

-Mel

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes but he didn't say that. :p

E_S

7. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Actually, yes I did.

Nope, you're right, Silver (or platinum as they market it) is widescreen, and gold is for those silly Americans who think the black bars cut off the tops and bottoms of the picture.

Ender, Is this all part of a nefarious plot to confuse us and further bend our perceptions of reality?

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, but read it again.

You're missing an object.

You said, and I quote;

"...gold is for those silly Americans who think the black bars cut off the tops and bottoms of the picture."

The verb think doesn't have any purpose here because you haven't told us what the Americans (subject) think[/] (verb) about...

Perhaps you meant to substitute the verb "[to] want" in place of the verb "[to] think"?

Because you haven't told us what the Americans think about the black bars. :p

E_S

9. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Ender everyone got the picture but you!

Go and sit in the corner![face_talk_hand]

10. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Perhaps you meant to substitute the verb "[to] want" in place of the verb "[to] think"?

[image=http://www.hazza316.co.uk/mrt/mrtvclippit/images/Clippit.gif]

It looks like you're trying to type a letter!

Wow! I really don't care! :)

11. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    "...gold is for those silly Americans who think the black bars cut off the tops and bottoms of the picture."

No Australian would ever be so stupid!

12. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    No Australian would ever be so stupid!

You'd be surprised, but they were probably raised watching imported American TV.

While admittedly, as anyone who has worked in retail concerning audio visual will tell you (Cue Ender here) you will always get the occasional moron complaining that the black bars at the top and bottom of your 4:3 aspect ratio TV while playing 16:9 and other widescreen or "letterbox" format DVDs and videos are cutting the top and bottom from the picture, it is the American retail market that is stubbornly holding onto the 4:3 aspect ratio DVD market, mainly due to large numbers of complaints that widescreen was denying the consumer of the picture covered up by those black bars.

So, the US caters for morons, we expect them to keep up with the rest of us, even if they have to wander along behind, furrowing their brows in a vain attempt to understand.

13. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    I hate Morons.

I get them all the time. widescreen cuts of the top and bottom

DIEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

14. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    thats the same fools that want their friggin dvds in pan & scan [face_sick]

-Mel

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I got it, I was just pointing out the error.

But that's cool, you lambast the intellectual shortcomings of others whilst making errors yourself, Mr Crumblin' Ivory Tower! :p ;)

E_S

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Uh, dude, most of my favourite cartoons from the early-mid-80's were Americans.

Actually, most people were pissed if widescreen didn't come out; IIRC, and this was about 3-4 years ago, Harry Potter didn't come out in Widescreen and people were upset that they couldn't get it in widescreen.

E_S

17. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    But that's cool, you lambast the intellectual shortcomings of others whilst making errors yourself, Mr Crumblin' Ivory Tower

By picking on an "error" you were the only one to notice or even care about! =D=

Uh, dude, most of my favourite cartoons from the early-mid-80's were Americans.

Me too actually, but those cartoons didn't dumb themselves down in a lot of cases, unlike the sitcoms you get now and have been for the last few years.

Actually, most people were pissed if widescreen didn't come out; IIRC, and this was about 3-4 years ago, Harry Potter didn't come out in Widescreen and people were upset that they couldn't get it in widescreen.

Most people, yes. I'm talking about the very vocal minority who can't fathom why anyone would chop up the screen while they try to watch their "stories".

18. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    You forgot to stereotype and bash Americans in that post, SM. Woopsies!

19. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Whoops, my bad, I'll get back to it as quick as I can, I should probably also ask a mod to edit all of the other posts I've made where I also forgot to do it.

20. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    I had a dvd demo at blockbuster that showed what exactly is shown on a pan and scan and what is shown widescreen.

SM you're very right in saying that they are a very VOCAL minority!

But it helped to convince them.... I mean why would anyone cut bits out of their movie?? they don't make any more money from the "saved space!" In fact most (probably all) of the artists who make these films HATE Pan and Scan!

Theres a pretty similar demonstration on the Terminator 2 special edition dvd for those working in retail and need to prove it to some stubborn customer. (I don't think its an American thing but probably just an OLD PEOPLE thing- 40 yrs and up)

Hope it shows some morons the light at work guys![face_praying]

21. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    I always found it weird for someone commenting I want my pan and scan so I get MORE picture! just cause the whole of his damned non-widescreen-tv is filled with the movie...... with some people arguing wont do anything....

-Mel

22. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    They just want their whole screen to be used up! I'm sure they'd hate the stretchy thing that happens on some credits on T.V

(Like when you watch the start of the Great Escape on T.V- beacause the credits spread over the whole wide screen, It's stretched, so you see all these skinny Nazi trucks and motorcycles at the start!)

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So hang on, you screwed up, I caught it, why is that a bad reflection on me and not everyone else who swallowed it up? :p

I have to say, objectively, watching TV in both countries BTW, American TV > Australian TV. Even gems like Frontline/Late Show etc can't compensate for the crap we watch. But they did give us GI Joe, which helped us learn - and learning is half the battle! [face_flag]

E_S

24. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    LOL E_S

do you have more british or us tv in AUS?

-Mel

25. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Actually, I feel good that it was such a minor technical eror that not only were you the only one to pick it up, but also the only one to care :p

If you have to reach that far to pick on my spelling and grammar, then that's ok :)

And yes, 80's cartoons were awesome, but the sitcoms definitely aren't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.