main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Revenge Of The Sith : ILM's best work yet?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by BabaORileyFett, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    The reason they didn't spend enough time on that sequence was because it was added so late in the game. And given that it was added 5 months before the film was to debut, they did a bang up job on that sequence. There are some great moments in that sequence but if ILM had another few months on that sequence, it would've been much better.

And yes, Episode III will be ILM's best work in the Prequels and maybe their best work for a while. We have 4 months before we find out.

2. Darth-Walken

Darth-Walken Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Still, at least the sequence was highly amusing [face_laugh]

3. NoCloneTheories

NoCloneTheories Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2003
    well, part of lucasfilm animation is moving overseas. they will still do their stories and everything here, but as with traditional 2D, they will do the animation overseas. it's part of an effort to expand the US LFL stuff into other areas more related to digital filmmaking technology like cameras and production facilities and more tactile stuff than the CGI.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I can't wait to see ROTS. Just from the little bits that we've seen in the teaser and from the pictures that have been leaked onto the internet, its going be an absolutely jaw-dropping movie and quite possibly ILM's great achievement.

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Qu Klaani, whoah hold on. I was talking specifically about the methods for PH, not that the prequels didn't use any models and miniatures. Of course they did.....more than the OT did. ;)

6. Jumpman

Sep 12, 2003
    NoClones, when do you think LucasFilm Animation release their first Animated film, ala Pixar?

I'm curious to see what they've got lined up. Also, the Presidio idea is just fantastic. I hope that it changes Hollywood and more migrate up that way.

7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    But don't misunderstand. They're not taking over the Presidio, but just a portion of it.

8. neutralsideforce

neutralsideforce Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 2005
    It should be great to have the three intellectual figures of Lucas/Spielberg/Cameron with the ultimate ILM feat ever made-A movie with Darth Vader (suit/red saber) on the Titanic chasing the Jaws white shark.-For young and mature audience entertainment and not related to the previous films.

9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    A movie with Darth Vader (suit/red saber) on the Titanic chasing the Jaws white shark.-For young and mature audience entertainment and not related to the previous films.

Don't give the geniuses in Hollywood anymore brilliant ideas.

10. Jumpman

Sep 12, 2003
    Still to have a filmmaking facility like that to young filmmakers disposal is just great all around.

11. PerroLoco_Kenobi

PerroLoco_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 8, 2005
    "The reason they didn't spend enough time on that sequence was because it was added so late in the game"

True, and it's easy for me to fling dung from my comfy chair. I'm sure someone had to say "that's good enough. we have to move on." It's just difficult to accept that, even in a CGI world, filmmaking is a series of compromises.

12. neutralsideforce

Jan 16, 2005
    I do not want to spoil this thread, but I know what "perro loco" means to poor Ben isolated in Taitone. Horrible destiny for obi in ROTS. ILM should add some company around him in the next ANH special edition.

13. PerroLoco_Kenobi

Feb 8, 2005
    Ben originally had 2 roommates, but they moved out. The old man kept practicing his Krayt Dragon screech at 2 in the morning, leaving his dirty robes everywhere, and eating their food.

14. mandalore15

mandalore15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 29, 2000
    The one time I've been completely fooled by CG were some of the clonetroopers in Episode II. I knew most were CG in the long shots, but those close ups had me completely duped.
    And it seems completely odd to me that in Episode III Temura Morrison is wearing a blue bodysuit so they can ANIMATE the armor over him. That just seems...I don't know...ridiculous. Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier just to build a few suits of clonetrooper armor rather than animating every single move? Even with key frame animation it just seems like a tremendous waste of resources.
    Oh well, I'm sure it'll look cool.

15. DarthBot

DarthBot Jedi Master star 3

Aug 27, 2003
    mandalore 15, ILM is only using Temuera in shots when the troopers aren't wearing helmets. This way they can use his face.

16. PerroLoco_Kenobi

Feb 8, 2005
    If you have a suit-wearing Temura interacting with full CGI troopers you'd probably notice the differences. So goes the theory.

17. neutralsideforce

Jan 16, 2005
    I thought the PT is cheaper than the OT when they had to pay for all you see that in the PT you don't see! ILM is rich as visual effects, that's my point. OT is poor of visual effects as they look today but expensive it was.

18. DarthBot

DarthBot Jedi Master star 3

Aug 27, 2003
    ^^^^^
    I have no idea what you just said kid but that was beautiful.

19. neutralsideforce

Jan 16, 2005
    May the time be with you...

20. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    I'll guess yes

21. NoCloneTheories

Mar 22, 2003
    NoClones, when do you think LucasFilm Animation release their first Animated film, ala Pixar?

oh I have no idea, I don't know much about LFL, most of it was just from living up there and seeing the stuff in the paper about LFL's move. I have had friends work through there but they are all bastards who never tell me anything.

And somewhere in the thread I saw someone say that it is not the whole presidio, which is true, and probably worth noting for those of you who don't know the area. It's a gigantic portion of it now, but not compared to the whole Presidio which is a fairly big area. I believe I actually read that part of the city accepting the deal was that lucasfilm had to actually buy more than they planned on, which was just what lucas wanted but they didn't think they could get it. That stuck out as odd to me. If someone wants to find the article it was a couple years back, but I'm not sure when. It had to havebeen the SF chronicle though, it was the only local paper I got then.

22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Part of the deal was that Lucas bought land that would remain as greenspace. He ended up with more space also by purchasing more commercial space that he'll then lease to others.

Probably won't be cheap rent.

23. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    But I bet you that overgrown ape will still get the oscar...

Who? King Kong or Peter Jackson?

24. mandalore15

mandalore15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 29, 2000
    <<mandalore 15, ILM is only using Temuera in shots when the troopers aren't wearing helmets. This way they can use his face.>>

This I knew. It just seemed crazy to me that for these shots they would animate the armor around his body rather than just have him wear some armor with no helmet. But it could be as someone else said...real armor interacting with CG armor in the same shot could look a bit off.
    The one still shot floating around of Morrison talking with McGregor looks great though, CG armor or no.

25. NoCloneTheories

Mar 22, 2003
    the CG armor is R&D plain and simple. Every time they push things like this, it becomes another tool in their arsenal. At some point ILM was going to have to streamline the technology of being able to do all the things related to the armor: the motion, the texturing, the small interactive details. All of that stuff is stuff ILM would do anyway, so doing it with this film is an optimum way to get better at all that stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.