main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Revenge Of The Sith : ILM's best work yet?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by BabaORileyFett, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
  2. General_Ben

General_Ben Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 15, 2005
    Man I wish LFL would go public and offer me some of their IPO.

3. darth_sky_skywalker

darth_sky_skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    ROTS will rock, no doubt the most enjoyable and kick ass film of the yr, will finally top Peter Jacksons over rated crocks LOTR and king kong (in terms of the insustry hype for KK). ILM will FINALLY get the kudos they deserve for delivering the best visual effects of the yr, like they have with the other prequels and will hopefully get the star wars award that they deserve. there is no chance LOTR:TTT was visually better than AOTC, it was filmed in an already exsistent place for christsakes and helms deep....not even in the same ball park as geonosis.

as for batman, im a huge fan, massive massive batman fan, i even didnt mind schumachers attempts at live action cartoons, they had their moments (jim carrey as the riddler, greatest casting ever), just not many tho. but BB just doesnt have me all that excited. for one if its a stand alone film, not attacthed to the others, why choose ra's as ghul? a pretty ordinary batman villan IMO. i still hope itll b great, but i feel ROTS will blow it away.

and WOTW, ill feel so much better about this when i see an alien. speilberg doesnt stuff these up, so it should b great.

4. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    I know I'm going to be massively flamed for saying this, but I watched TTT and AOTC yesterday, as I am a fan of both series (I love Star Wars in a much different, more intense way, however), and the special effects in TTT are more consistent than those of AOTC. Sure, they used existing landscapes, but that's not really the point. It's all about Gollum. There is no CG character in AOTC that comes close to expressing such emotion as Gollum. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE THE SPECIAL EFFECTS IN AOTC, but I think that what they did with The Two Towers was just a bit better. My opinion, that's it.

5. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    I think AOTC has better effects.Anyone else care to say which films have,in their opinion,better effects?

We already have The Two Towers.

6. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    ^^^Gee, since were on a Star Wars message board, I think I can guess the answer to that informal poll.

7. Darth_Daver

Jan 23, 2005
    I've heard people criticise the AOTC effects before.I'm genuinely interested to hear which films people think have better effects.

8. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    I think the effects are great, but I like the organic feel of TTT. I think it just looks more realistic. That and the stuff about Gollum. I think he's a better CG character than Jar-Jar or well...any of the CG characters in AOTC. Watto is pretty cool though.
    And I really like the effects in the Droid Factory scene...except that part with 3PO. Oh yeah, and Anakin surfing that pig in the field. That doesn't look so great.

Kamino is my favorite Star Wars planet, by the way. It just looks so freaking cool.

9. Qu_Klaani

Qu_Klaani Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Id say Gollum is a better individual effect than anything comparable in AOTC, (and thats more to do with the way Serkis acts than the actual realism of the digital character) but overall Episode 2 has better FX of all kinds. I mean just look at the ent's attack on Isengard, it was rubbish, and the battle of Helms deep was awesome and looked great, but thats not exactly a challenge when its so very dark.

10. Darth_Daver

Jan 23, 2005
    "Oh yeah, and Anakin surfing that pig in the field. That doesn't look so great."

- I'd agree with that,but there's a bit in 2 Towers where Legolas swings up onto a horse that's equally unconvincing.

11. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Actually that part with Legolas look much more realistic than the pig surfing. And the Ents look great.
    Anyway, I digress, this isn't supposed to be LOTR vs. SW.

Those threads always end up locked.
    So, back on topic, ROTS will have better effects than any movie we seen thus far.

12. Darth_Daver

Jan 23, 2005
    I hope so(I expect it to).

13. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Jar Jar > Gollum

14. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Jar Jar> Gollum

Even I can get over that kind of SW fan denial

15. Qu_Klaani

Qu_Klaani Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Jar Jar was far more of a technical achievement than Gollum, hes rather revolutionary, hes just bloody annoying.

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Man I wish LFL would go public and offer me some of their IPO.

I would SO buy stock in LFL is they ever did that.

17. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    "Best work until the special editions come out!"

Would this be the edition where Jar-Jar shoots first? :p

I rest my case.

18. WaunTaun

WaunTaun Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 10, 2000
    Gollum looks way more real than Jar Jar. Peter Jackson executed his films much better than Lucas has. Story, acting and character development come first and the special effects come second. Lucas rushes through the story and acting so he can play with his toys at ILM. This is the reason Peter Jackson and the Lord of the Rings won 11 oscars last year. It will be amazing if Lucas can accomplish this. I sure hope he can, with his last chance at making a good prequel.

19. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    ^^^WaunTaun knows what's up.

20. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Gollum was a waste. The character didn't even need to be CGI. They easily could've used a very skinny actor in make-up. JJB couldn't have been done in any way but CGI unless they changed his design.

There were a lot of cut-rate effects on TTT. The Legolas horse scene was terrible, and all of the bluescreen work with the Treebeard was just hidious. It was no better than the original Rancor scene. Quite a bit of the CGI flaws was hidden in the dark gray color pallate that WETA uses. And the model work with the Ents looked massively fake.

Any recent ILM film has better effects than TTT. WETA is grossly overrated, as is the entire LOTR franchise.

That said, I fully expect the nimrods at the "Academy" to give CGI-raped King Kong the Oscar for effects, although ROTS will undoubtedly be the best effects movie yet and will probably not be passed for some time.

21. WaunTaun

WaunTaun Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 10, 2000
    You must have missed Return of the King.

22. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I had no interest in seeing it. FOTR was decent for what it was. By the time of TTT, I had seen enough.

I've seen bits and pieces of it-the one battle ripped off from ESB and the million corny endings.

This is off-topic. We can just agree to disagree.

23. SithedMyPants

SithedMyPants Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2004
    Last SW Ever((Time + Technological Innovation) x Founder's Film) = Yes, most definitely.

It's mathematically sound, beeches.

24. mandalore15

mandalore15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 29, 2000
    Which film has better effects than AOTC? In my opinion, "Return of the King". The battle sequences in that film are completely off the scale of anything before in cinema. When the oliphants start stomping on the horses, it just doesn't get any more massive or visceral than that.
    Many of you will disagree. Whatever floats your boat. LOTR and SW are two completely different franchises who happen to share much of the same fan base. It's a shame that so many folks hate LOTR on principle because it isn't SW, and that some Tolkein snobs won't give SW a fair shake. I love 'em both. And most of WETA's folks are just as talented as those at ILM. See "Master and Commander" for further proof of WETA's greatness. The Super Bowl ad for "War of the Worlds" by ILM was no slouch either.

25. Mike-Sunrider

Mike-Sunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2003
    I enjoyed the LOTR movies as well.

Gollum was great even though it had some major anatomy flaws. He looked pasted in as well.

The only times when Gollum was amazing was in shots where you only saw him.

And the battle in ROTK...Man it sucked. I didn't got the feeling that they were going to be overrun while every character said it was hopeless.

I still enjoyed the movies except for ROTK, i was dissappointed by that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.