Revenge of the Sith in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan' started by nerfherder78, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nerfherder78 Jedi Padawan

Can anyone tell me the release date of ROTS in Japan? I'm moving there in April so I will be missing it in the U.S.
  2. Anakin-Fan Jedi Master

star 4
    should be 19th may , like everywhere else :)
  3. Konbu_Wavebreaker Jedi Knight

You sure? I keep hearing it's gonna be in June... Also, they'll sub it, right?
  4. Whimper Jedi Master

star 4
    I heard July 19th, actually. If it's in keeping with the release dates for Eps I and II, it'll be about two months behind the worldwide release. And yes, it'll be subtitled.

Still, I'm thinking of flying to Bangkok to see it there...
  5. lazykbys_left Jedi Master

star 4
    It says here RotS will be released in Japan on July 9.

Oh no . . . subtitles . . .

I think I'll wait till the DVD comes out.

*sigh*
  6. kingthlayer Force Ghost

star 4
    Shichi-getsu? Warui desu yo!
  7. lazykbys_left Jedi Master

star 4
    Shikamo sichi-gatsu ni RotS ga koukai sareru no wa Nihon dake nano desuyo. Ittai nani wo kangaete iru no yara . . .

*tameiki*

[English]
    And it's only in Japan that RotS is being released in July. Just what are they thinking?

*sigh*
    [/English]/>
  8. Whimper Jedi Master

star 4
    What the hell is wrong with subtitles?? You'd rather watch a version dubbed into Japanese, crazybrain?

Anyways, as far as releasing Star Wars movies in July here, I think it has something to do with when the best time is to market a film here. In late May, everyone will have already blown all their money and free time on Golden Week, and nobody's really going to be gagging for a new movie release. But by July, they'll all be frothing for the chance to sit in a dark, air-conditioned theatre for two hours. Droids or no droids.
  9. lazykbys_left Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, Japanes dubbings are . . . *shudder* I don't want to talk about it.

However, Japanese subtitles are almost as bad. Especially when you can read, understand, and moan at how pitifully inferior they are compared to the original dialogue. (Well, maybe not inferior. However, some things just don't translate well into Japanese.)

Not only that, the presence of subtitles means my eyes will be jumping up and down because I cannot pass by Japanese/English text without reading it. And I will be doing this while watching the most visual movie ever to hit the silver screen.

There is no way in all the hells that I will be able to enjoy RotS to the fullest in this manner, hence my position against subtitles.

BTW, nice insight about marketing. I hadn't thought about it in those terms.
  10. Malikus Jedi Padawan

I moved to Japan 7 months ago and I was mortified to discover the July 9th release date. The Golden Week excuse is kinda week don't you think? Ticket prices don't get much higher than \1500.

A release date 7 weeks after the rest of the world is a bit much. Maybe I'm just being impaticent, but it doesn't seem fair.
  11. Whimper Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, no, I totally agree with you. It's preposterous. But there's not much us lowly viewers can do, really. It's not like the natives here are going to be starting up any protests or petitions!
  12. NeecH Force Ghost

star 4
    The only issue that I have with subtitles is if there's somebody speaking an alien language in the movie... I doubt that they'll be kind enough to include the English subtitles as well. :(

By the way... hello. :D I usually post on the Australian (QLD) Boards but seeing as how I now live in Nakano-ku, I thought I'd swing by here.
  13. Darth_Jeter Jedi Padawan

The Marketing idea also falls short on one important point... Releasing a movie nearly 2 months after the rest of the world leaves too much time for casual fans to find out about the flic and then just wait for the DVD release -- AND die-hard fans have plenty of chance to head to Korea (also sub-titles) to see it.

The world wide hype starts on May 18th -- Japan misses out.

But like everyone else -- I'm pretty upset about this release date.
  14. Chris_in_Japan Jedi Padawan

They release it late because Japanese movie theatre owners want a big movie to play in Summer in Japan....July is Summer and everyone goes to the movies...its been the same for Episode 1 and 2 - oh my god, Have I been here that long ?????

If you go to the movies when Star Wars is playing usually its packed and everyone is happy.....I hate the wait but hey what can we do about it ?????? you could go to korea...
  15. watanabe2k Jedi Padawan

Well I will be watching it first in the U.S. then I will head right to Japan for two months to go home and visit family, so I am actually hoping to watch it again while I am in Japan.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.