Revenge of the Sith - Kevin Smith review up

Discussion in 'Memphis, TN' started by rhonderoo, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    He's just bloated. It's that time of the month. Give him a break.

[face_laugh]
  2. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    [image=http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/3818-001.jpg]

Does this image contain a Lava spoilers??? If so, how does the lava get up there? Maybe Obi-Wan uses it to try to get away and it gets him?
  3. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Obi-Wan uses the Force to kick lava onto Anakin?

Bad form, ol chap. Bad form.

Or...

Was Anakin just standing in the wrong place at the wrong time and got hit with a naturally-occurring lava explosion?

4. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    ACK!! :eek:

I can't watch, peeps. [face_worried] I just can't! :_|
  5. Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    I dunno...I think he looks like the Green Goblin lol :)
  6. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    He's the finest thing in ROTS even green! :eek:
  7. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    And for once, it almost appears as if they may have gotten Anakin's visage correct!
  8. DarthToddy Jedi Master

star 2
    IS that a 3 inch figure or a new UNLEASHED figure? Probably make a great unleashed looking figure
  9. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
  10. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Hallelujah! It's an Unleashed fig! I can't wait to get that one.
  11. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    This just in from TF.N...

Revenge of the Sith Trailer Description

Posted By Scott on January 20, 2005

A reliable source sent in this description of the next Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith trailer:

The trailer begins with the following exchange:

Palpatine: "The Dark Side of the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."

Anakin: "Is it possible to learn this power?"

Palpatine: "Not from a Jedi."

We are then introduced to the political maneuvering of Palpatine, Obi-Wan and Mace Windu. All of them actually want to use Anakin as a pawn in their game (Palpatine makes Anakin his "personal representative on the Jedi Council" while Obi-Wan wants him to "report on all the Chancellor's dealings"). The first minute or so is surprisingly heavy on dialogue and consists mostly of shots of various characters speaking to each other (intercut with short glimpses of evil droids, space battles etc.). We even see how Mace Windu and three other Jedi attempt to arrest Palpatine (he grabs the lightsaber and confronts them). When Mace Windu tells Anakin "You are on this council but we do not grant you the rank of Master", Anakin loses it and joins the Dark Side (Sidious: "Every single Jedi is now an enemy of the Republic"). At least that's how the trailer makes it look.

Then the more "visual" half starts with some very neat scenes like a low angle shot of Anakin marching in front of a Clone trooper army. We see Wookiees on some kind of war machine, the duel in the volcano field, gigantic 10-wheel military transports and actual destruction of the Senate chamber. Everything is very dramatic, several deaths are implied, Padme is seen crying loudly and music from the Emperor duel (ROTJ) is heard.

Overall, the first half of the trailer is surprisingly specific, making no sense whatsoever to people who don't know Star Wars well. The second half is very dark and dramatic, but with lots of action. Bad guys (apart from Sidious) only appear for a fraction of a second and have no lines. The final seconds consist of Obi-Wan shouting "You were the chosen one!", fighting Anakin while both dangle from some ropes/wires. After the closing titles, there is a bonus shot of Vader and Sidious standing side by side, accompanied by Vader's breathing.

This is a preliminary version with effects and sound not quite finalized. One part of the trailer is actually without music (either for dramatic effect or John Williams' new score will be inserted here?). The length is little under 2:30.

When further questioned about the "evil droid", our source confirmed that there wasn't a clear shot of General Grievous but there was one of the bodyguards:

There is some evil-looking humanoid droid with a cape around his head and torso, flanked by two classic battledroids (from Episode I). He seems to hold a lance in his hand. Later, Obi-Wan is seen swordfighting with a humanoid droid but he's only seen from back and moving quickly. (I'm 90% certain it IS Grievous, but it's extremely short and quick shot.) Anyway, both of these shots are VERY brief (about half second).

One of the shots depicts Obi-Wan being surrounded by dozens of droids. Some of them look different and wear capes, maybe one of them is Grievous. But it's very wide shot, the characters are small.

I wonder when it will come out?
  12. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    According to the ticker at the bottom of the page, the next trailer comes out March 11th.

A summary of the ROTS novel has been posted:

ROTS novelization summary

13. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    That summary reads like it was written by an 8-year-old. The writing was so bad that it was distracting. If it would've had a few "And then"s and "And you'll never, ever guess what happened next"s, I would've sworn Emma had written it.
  14. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    More spoilers.

Not sure of the accuracy of this, but I found this through a Google search. I haven't read all of it yet, but some of what I read does correspond to some of the spoilers I've heard.

ROTS Plot Summary

15. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Of course, I read a little more into this "SuperShadow" site where this is posted, and it has supposed fan Q&A with George Lucas, and the owner of the site claims to be a close personal friend of the director.

In other words, the whole site is full of crap. Dude could be an ILM employee, but is more likely a pimple-faced geek living in his mother's basement having serious delusions of grandeur and stealing spoilers from other sites, including TF.N.
  16. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
  17. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    The Death of Amidala Skywalker

January 23 2005

"She was very beautiful. Kind... but sad." Leia Skywalker, Return of the Jedi

"If it's a girl... we were going to name her Leia..." says Padme as the birth of her daughter begins.

A medical droid approaches Padme. "It's a boy," it says. Padme reaches out and touches the infants head.

"Luke," she says. A second baby is baby is brought to her by the droid.

"It's a girl," says the droid. But Padme is no longer her self - she is delirious.

"Anakin!" she suddenly cries. Obi-Wan comforts her, telling her that Anakin is not there and that she has had twins.

Padme begins to talk, drifiting in and out of consciousness. "Anakin, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... Anakin, please... I love you..."

Yoda enters the room and Obi-Wan shakes his head in sorrow. But then Padme regains consciousness for one last time and puts something into Kenobi's hand.

"Obi-Wan, there is still good in him... I know... there... is... still... "

As Padme Amidala Skywalker dies, Obi-Wan opens his hand and gazes upon a japoor snippet.

:_| <--------- Rhonda on May 19, 2005

From Motee/Ternian in the Death of Padme thread

Here

Motee's posts in this thread:

This is going to be such an intense part of the movie.

You notice Yoda enters? Guess who he has just had a conversation with...

It's Qui-Gon...

He is THE Master!

Also, the whole "Luke" thing is addressed in the movie.

I'll tell ya about the whole Luke/Leia Vader does/doesn't know thing another time - for now, trust me, it makes sense.

Remove Yoda from the pedestal you had him on, and replace him with QUI-GON!

Naberrie, it won't distract. Its all got to do with it. The secret is...well...very non-amazing. Its the most simplest thing ever and it is the reason the Sith will never EVER have it - its why we will known that Darth Plaugeis never had it.

As for Luke, the name is NEVER mentioned until this point. Why Padme thinks of a boys name will be discussed earlier in the movie when the pair kiss in their bedroom.

Leia will never EVER know about Padme or Anakin - the memory wipe scene will show u this to be the case.

Leia's memories of her mother are simply a way to show us that she uses the Force - and the Force is using her (ie. Midis).

Qui-Gon had a hand in Luke and Leia's conception. The guy knew what he was doing.

Bail, Yoda and Obi-Wan discuss Qui-Gon's influence over midis in Luke and Leia.

no, it's good advice

Basically:

Padme goes into labour.

Yoda talks to Qui-Gon.

Padme dies.

Yoda, Obi-Wan and Bail discuss what will happen from then on in...They discuss the future of L&L, Yoda reveals ANOTHER new surprise to Obi-Wan, Bail takes the droids, and Beru and Owen come into play.

Very busy last 30mins, I say.

Owen and Beru have no lines.

Its a totally new spoiler, told to Obi-Wan just before he leaves for Tatooine.

It is a spoiler that will totally change your perception of Yoda in the OT.

Owen knows that Vader=Anakin.

You guys have got to remember that Obi-Wan is lying and manipulating Luke in his little homestead in ANH. All the lightsaber crap and Your Uncle-blah-blah crap is simply Obi-Wan subtley getting Luke off that damn planet and into action.

Yoda has to unlearn what he has learned.

Anyway, I am off. Catch ya all later.

18. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    Gosh, call me daft but that Motee guy/gal needs to go watch the OT. Didn't we assume most of that stuff before the prequels were ever even made?

Well, except for this:

Qui-Gon had a hand in Luke and Leia's conception. The guy knew what he was doing.

I'm guessing that bedroom on Naboo got a little crowded. o_O ;)

Here's what I want to know: Do we ever find out what "IT" is in any of these sentences?

Surely not that Owen knows that Vader = Anakin. You can tell that in ANH.

As Padme Amidala Skywalker dies, Obi-Wan opens his hand and gazes upon a japoor snippet.

OK, that just begs for a "L or L finds that japoor snippet in Obi's hut" scene somewhere in the EU.......

19. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Gosh, call me daft but that Motee guy/gal needs to go watch the OT. Didn't we assume most of that stuff before the prequels were ever even made?

Not me. I never got into discussions of the Force and stuff about the OT. I just took it as it came: Darth Vader is Luke father, He changed back to the good side to save Luke.

Here's what I want to know: Do we ever find out what "IT" is in any of these sentences?

Not today. ;) It isn't about Owen, I wouldn't think. What would that have to do with Yoda?

Surely not that Owen knows that Vader = Anakin. You can tell that in ANH. I couldn't tell that in ANH. I would have been asking why in the hell they named Luke after him then. I always thought that Owen knew Anakin was a Jedi and thought he shouldn't have left the farm to go off on "some damn fool crusade." Never that he was keeping Darth Vader's son with Darth Vader's former name still in tact. Not smart.

20. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    It used to be a running joke in the CT forums that the Jedi had the worst Witness Protection program in the galaxy. [face_laugh]

I've also heard it argued that maybe the name 'Skywalker' was like 'Smith' and not really a big give-away, but that speculation was long before the prequels.

To put baby Luke on Daddy's home planet with his step-brother and the same last name..... Um, yeah. None too smart. Especially if Palps knows where Ani grew up.

Then again, it would make sense if Anakin/Vader knows about Luke and is purposefully staying away from him to hide him from Palps. The surprise could be that it is Palpatine who doesn't know about L & L and that's why Vader gets 'busted' in TESB with the "We have a new enemy" convo and the reason Vader is so hell-bent determined to find Luke is to get to him before Palpatine does....

21. DarthToddy Jedi Master

star 2
    I think the "IT" is the becoming one with the Force...since Yoda and Obi-Wan learns it. It'll be good to have a Qui-Gon appearance in this movie!!
  22. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Ain't that the truth, John. I think the "it" has everything to do with following the will of the Force, and holding love in your heart instead of detaching yourself from all emotion.
  23. WonderPants Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah, really... When it really comes down to it, how much wanton destruction do we ever see Vader do in the OT?

Being party to seeing a whole world blown up? Millions of children there!

Surely not that Owen knows that Vader = Anakin. You can tell that in ANH. I couldn't tell that in ANH. I would have been asking why in the hell they named Luke after him then. I always thought that Owen knew Anakin was a Jedi and thought he shouldn't have left the farm to go off on "some damn fool crusade."

To put baby Luke on Daddy's home planet with his step-brother and the same last name..... Um, yeah. None too smart. Especially if Palps knows where Ani grew up.

Then again, it would make sense if Anakin/Vader knows about Luke and is purposefully staying away from him to hide him from Palps.

I thought for a while after AOTC that Anakin would have been kicked out of the Jedi order for marrying, and that ROTS would start with him and Padme living at the homestead on Tatooine, when Obi-Wan arrives and persuades Anakin to help him with something, despite Owen's objections, hence his attitude towards Obi-Wan in ANH.

And I thought as well that Vader knew exactly where Obi-Wan was after ROTS, and had told him to stay hidden to protect both himself and Luke. Hence his "you should not have come back" line and almost regretful attitude when duelling Obi-Wan on the Death Star. There's a whole load of unspoken stuff going on in that duel.

24. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Yeah, really... When it really comes down to it, how much wanton destruction do we ever see Vader do in the OT?

Being party to seeing a whole world blown up? Millions of children there!

Oh, please. Let's not even go there. If that's the case, then what about the wanton destruction of the Ewok's moon by the destruction of the shield generator and subsequent destruction of the DS and the "children" there? There is ONE person directly responsible for blowing up Alderaan. That is Tarkin. I realize Vader stood there, but so did Leia. ;) If we're splitting hairs, she didn't really fight very hard, did she?

And I love that every Star Wars debate now has to end with "remember the children"!!!! Children die in war. It happens. It is happening now. I hate to sound crass - but death, destruction, greed, war and evil are parts of life that come with the good and have since the beginning of time. American soldiers in Iraq are told to shoot children that come to close to the gates if they don't heed the first warning - the Iraqi society has made children believe that martyrdom will get them everlasting life. I know this for a fact. The world (and the GFFA) is gray. As adults we'll have to learn to deal with it.
  25. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    Well, about the wanton violence thing...

Star Wars has never been about humanitarianism and violence has always been a 'key ingredient,' for lack of a better term. Look at everyone who's shot, blown up, stunned, thrown against a wall, and taken away in handcuffs in the first 10 minutes of ANH alone. ;)

And, really, how many of us as 7 yr-old's thought about all the widows and orphans surviving Imperial officers after the destruction of the Death Stars? And that was the good guys' fault! :p

I fully expect the bad guys to be really bad in ROTS. I just hope it's not done gratuitously to appease blood-thirsty fanboyz or reflect the headlines of CNN. [face_plain]

Star Wars is a fantasy/space opera about good vs. evil, making the right..or wrong..choices, loyalty to family and friends, taking a stand against wrongness in the world, etc. Hopefully, this movie will bring the Saga full circle to the extent that a bit of moral fiber can still be gleaned from the modern day fairy tale. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.