main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Revenge Of The Sith Score Discussion **Official Thread**

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Drac39, Nov 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    What do you think it`ll be like??? I think JW should come up with better Sad Scores. Because a Good Drama will have a score that`ll make you cry. I know IM will be a big score in the movie. I think it`d be cool if JW could create a score similar to The Hobbit Theme in LOTR. But that`d be dumb in a way. I think this score should beat the rest. Bring JW on top again. I bet he could pull it off. If JW could write new score,yet keep some of the classic ones. We`d have a great movie.

GK edit: Changing the title.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I cannot imagine John Williams, or anyone for that matter, coming up with sadder scores than Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan. He is totally capable of it. If the score for Episode III is not sad like that it is only because Lucas and Williams did not want that.

I do think the score for Episode III will be very powerful and dark. I am really looking forward to the arrangements of the Force theme and the evil themes of the OT. Duel of the Fates will no doubt be memorable as will the Imperial March.

3. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I think it should be sad.

4. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Sure, the film will have sad and happy points. I'm assuming it will be a more mellow, personal and yet powerful sounding score. You have events that will be shaping the entire galaxy in Episode III for the worse and you see the demise of the main character, Anakin Skywalker.

By the way, is it fine by everyone that this becomes a spoiler free discussion? Or should it be "spoiled"? No matter which one, another thread can always be created :)

5. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Because we still have so much time until Ep. 3, I doubt there will be big spoilers. But I prefer to keep everything in this thread--except for those noted in the thread title--as non-spoilers.

For awareness purposes, here's a previous discussion about the big duel between Obi Wan and Anakin.

One thing that I hadn't thought of before was the use of Luke's theme in Ep. 3. It shows up twice, back to back, in AOTC. But if JW holds back on the theme until the the last moments of the film or when we first see Luke, it could be a powerful moment.

6. spacemountainranger

spacemountainranger Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    I think the EIII score will be dark,sad,powerfull,emotional and many other things that people have said.I hope that it will feature new renditions of some OT classics(Force Theme,Imperial March,Luke & Leia,ect).

P.S:I think this thread should be SPOILED hehehehehe

7. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I think it should be really sad. I mean so many deaths,the end of the peace-loving republic.

8. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I certainly vote for keeping Music non-spoiled as much as possible. I got spoiled before ROTJ, but's that's a rant for another time...

Interesting thought about Luke's Theme. My favorite cue of it is in The Battle Of Yavin, after Luke switches off his targeting computer. I also like the statement in The Battle Of Hoth after "Imperial troops have entered the base".

I'd like to hear a similar bold cue in Ep. III, but maybe a soft cue would be neat (and foreshadowing) as well.

Of course, I'm looking for some dark music, and tragic. I want to hear some Emperor's Theme (maybe chorus into bold horns or strings) crescendo at a big Palpy moment.

And [drools], I want to hear JW blast some IM to kick The Emperor Arrives and Dawn Of The Empire. (I like that name for that segment of Confrontation..., thank you very much. :))

[wipes drool]

And how about a reprise of Shmi's Theme, ala Racer Roars To Life at an (ironic??) Anakin moment.

Oh yeah, DOTF... [more drool]

Need some tragic, sweeping Yoda's Theme, I think...

I'm sure some ATS cues...

Hmmmm, maybe no new themes, just smaller motifs or cues like Mystery "Theme" or Kamino music....

:D :D :D

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I think Ken just wet himself with excitement and anticipation! :eek:

:D

10. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Ep. III = most anticipated "entertainment" event in my life since 1983....

**dries self**

:p

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Hehehehe this is a good point, Ken. :D

12. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Yeah like Kenobi said.
    I wanna hear the best dan IM I`ve ever heard.

13. DarthBaconBarm

DarthBaconBarm Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2002
    The mystery motif 'reminds' me of a slowed down version of the original imperial motif.
    I'd like to hear JW maybe morph one into the other in EP3.
    I'm just praying that George Lucas gives JW the freedom to create his darkest and saddest SW score yet. Although just like TESB, I think the music will need to contain some elements of hope within it.
    But the most important thing is that I just want to be dragged out of the cinema in tears at the end of the movie because the music was so good.

14. spacemountainranger

May 7, 2002
    I forgot to mention 2 things in my post above.One was that I want to hear a little bit more choral pieces to add to the tragic nature of the film and thoe toher was that during the last battle of the clone wars I would like to see a track where the Imperial March is sort of competing with the Trade Federation March.I would also like to see a track that is a mixture of a Darker Anakins Theme and the Imperial March to show Anakins turn.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I am all over a choral version of the Force theme...

16. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Holy $^&$%#^@!

A choral force theme... [drools again]

Yeah baby!! Pleeeeaaase!!! The possibilities are racing through my mind as I type. :D

Um, ok. About the origianl ANH "Vader Theme".... it might be neat for JW to work it in, but....

I think it more likely that, for continuity's sake, that the IM will get worked into an archivel ANH. But that's another thread.... ;)

17. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Dude....Choral...Force Theme.... [face_shocked]

Just.... wow. That would be amazing for something like the Obi/Anakin duel almost in a DOTF style, but of course with the Force Theme instead of usual "Korraaah!".

But wow, choral Force Theme... :D

18. DarthBaconBarm

DarthBaconBarm Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2002
    Would anyone like to hear the Death Star motif used in Ep3?
    I think we can be sure Leia's theme will be introduced even if it's only a small under developed phrase from her main theme and maybe a bit more innocent usage of Luke's theme like in the OT, lots of flute.

19. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    D'oh, how could I forget about the Death Star's and Leia' theme? The idea to use a solo flute or something light to express Luke's and Leia's theme in Ep. III is perfect.

20. Neophool

Neophool Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2001
    i just hope John Williams gets someone else to mix and engineer the damn orchestra. I HATE the guy who is doing most of his work lately (can't remember his name) He mixes th orchestra together like's it's "one instruement". Well, great idea, but to be honest it makes the scores sound to even and flat. I loved hearing defined strings and in-your-face trumpets in the old trilogy. but movie scores have gone in that direction, flat, stale, evenly mixed and "out of the way". Lately, however, i've heard some good mixes - the entire opening of "Signs" was awesome - raw strings, edgy horns, but still retained that "cleaness" that everyone nowadays wants.

21. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    two thoughts.....

I think it would be neat if we hear some of the impirial trumpet fanfares during some transitions... just to meld that with how they are used for the DS1.

Also, on a choral force theme...would that happen? in thinking about use of chorus (or even voice) thus far, it has only been in conjucture with the Dark Side (a la Auggie, DOTF, solo woman in Confrontation, and, of course, Palps and the DSB in ROTJ...all having to do with the Dark Side's influence). So, would JW break with this apparent division for the sake of effect...?

EDIT: wait, I forgot Yub Yub... which we all know was pure evil ( ;))

22. Storm2904

Storm2904 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    Strilo, by golly....you've got it........

CHORAL FORCE THEME

23. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    ...in thinking about use of chorus (or even voice) thus far, it has only been in conjucture with the Dark Side (a la Auggie, DOTF, solo woman in Confrontation, and, of course, Palps and the DSB in ROTJ...all having to do with the Dark Side's influence). So, would JW break with this apparent division for the sake of effect...?

This is exactly why this could be so cool. The balance of the Force (the will of the Force?) swings to the dark side. Anakin, trained as a Jedi, betrays the teachings of the Jedi, the faith of his liberator, and the friendship/devotion of his master.

A sad chorus as Obi-Wan or Anakin make a crucial choice in their struggle???

A rousing chorus at another poignant moment?

A sad chorus at a moment of defeat for the Jedi?

OMG, I want this to happen real bad!!

2005? Argh!! :_|

24. Aiwendil

Aiwendil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    I posted the following to a thread in the Episode III forum where people were making up track listings for the ep. III soundtrack. I may have gone a little overboard, but I thought some of you in this forum might find it amusing:

Here goes. I didn't mean to make this nearly so detailed, but I really got caught up in it. It sure beats working on that paper I'm supposed to be writing.

1. 20th Century Fox Fanfare
    2. Main Title/Approaching the Fleet - Main title leads into a foreboding section consisting of parallel minor chords.
    3. Fall of the Republic concert suite - a concert suite built on a new theme, a sweeping melody for the Republic's fall. The theme is scalar and very melodic, but based on the same rhythm as the imperial motif from ANH. The B section is a dirge-like theme with choir, representing the Jedi purge.
    4. The Battle of [?] - A long action cue. Begins with dissonant tremolo strings. We hear a diminished version of Anakin's theme, then suddenly a bold and brassy version of the Separatist theme from AotC. Action music ensues, primarily non-thematic, though we hear bits of the Force theme. Then a short motif for a new villain appears. Toward the end of the cue, this motif makes repeated entries in different keys, each beginning with a bombastic triplet anacrusis. The tension builds, until finally the triplet anacrusis leads not to the villain's motif, but to the main theme. This is followed by, in rapid succession, Anakin's theme and the victory motif from RotJ.
    5. Dooku's Escape/The Secret Message - We hear the Separatist theme, subdued again, under dissonant strings. Then an atonal horn passage leads into a softer, atmospheric section for strings and woodwinds.
    6. Counsels of Rebellion - A new theme for Alderaan begins with a leap of a major sixth, like Leia's theme, but turns into a stately march. Then it becomes more dark and subdued again, and we hear the chord progression of the Imperial March. The cue ends with a soft statement of the rebel theme for solo horn.
    7. The Voice of Qui-Gon - A mysterious passage for woodwinds in parallel fifths opens the track, followed by a noble woodwind rendition of the Force theme. Then we hear Qui-Gon's theme (again in the woodwinds) over mysterious strings.
    8. Ambush on Alderaan - A hint of the Alderaan march again, then suddenly the villain motif from track 4. A tense, punctuated action cue ensues that is cut short by a sudden, sweeping statement of the AotC love theme. The B section of the theme continues over a pounding timpani. This too is cut short and the cue ends with a soft statement of the Imperial March.
    9. The Return to Coruscant/Anakin and Palpatine - Begins with racing strings, then turns into a very slow, melancholy statement of the love theme. Then an atonal section for solo horn.
    10. The Death Star - Begins with a bold statement of the Death Star motif from ANH. Then a quiet but foreboding minor key section with choir, including hints of the Fall of the Republic theme.
    11. Dooku's Death/Sidious Revealed - Begins with atonal choir. Then we hear in rapid succession traces of Shmi's theme and the love theme. Suddenly the choir comes in again, more forcefully with the Emperor's theme. It grows quieter again, and we hear the arpeggiated "mystery" theme from AotC, but this time on the chord progression of the Imperial March. Then the melody of the Imperial March comes in on top of it, but very softly, played by a celesta.
    12. Obi-Wan Confronts Anakin/Assault on the Jedi Temple - Very dark minor chords from the strings begin this cue and the tension rises until suddenly the Duel of the Fates theme appears - only to decrescendo into nothing. Then the Fall of the Republic theme returns.
    13. The Duel/Escape from Coruscant - We hear several variations on DotF, with varied orchestration. The Force theme appears as well, but slowly, with the DotF theme answering it at the end of each phrase. This leads into an ostinato pattern for tremolo strings, similar to what we hear in ESB after Vader cuts off Luke's hand. Then a faster version o

25. spacemountainranger

May 7, 2002
    wow

that

is

awesome!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.