main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Revenge Of The Sith Score Discussion **Official Thread**

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Drac39, Nov 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I always thought a great theme JW could create could be based on the music we hear at the very end of Return Of The Jedi (the Special Edition ending), because although you hear this Ewok-y tribal version of it there it is quite powerful and I think it could have worked in the prequels as a Republic theme (or Anakin's in fact - but I really like the existing Anakin theme), or at least a new theme for Episode III so that there's some kind of connection musically between the end of the Republic and the beginning of the next one.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Based on my hope that Alderaan will be in Ep 3, what about the idea of an Organa/Alderaan theme?

3. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    While I was out running today, I thought:

Yah know, the secondary melody of Yoda's Theme, the part that starts at 0:59 of ESB:SE Disc 2 Track 2? It would be interesting to hear JW arrange that differently for a poignant Yoda moment in Ep. III. Maybe slower, stacatto, in a different, minor key...

4. Melda

Melda Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2003
    In the Episode III Spoilers forum the idea of symmetry in the Star Wars saga has been discussed. Lucas seems to balance things out.

Exempli gratia. Episode Titles (The Phantom Menace / A New Hope; Attack of the Clones / Return of the Jedi).

With this in mind, I am wondering whether Williams would use this concept of 'balance throughout the series' at all. Specifically, I was thinking about the finale and credits music.

In Episode IV the finale is a militarised, celebratory version of Obi-wan's theme, followed by the credits which consist of Luke's theme followed by Leia's theme. The coda is (as in all of the original trilogy's codas) a happy martial section (like the Rebel Fanfare).

Episode V's finale is a sad version of Obi-wan's theme followed by the love theme for Han and Leia. The credits are made up by Yoda's theme, the Imperial March, and Han and Leia's theme, with, again, the happy martial section as the coda.

The finale for Episode VI is the happy celebration music with the Ewoks (and later everyone in the galaxy), followed by the Ewok music and Luke and Leia's them in the credits (with the happy, military fanfare coda).

In Episode I there is a happy, celebratory version of (so it seems) Palpatine's theme, then the credits are made up of Duel of the Fates and Anakin's theme.

In Episode II there is a lot of foreshadowing music (Sith music, then the Imperial March, then Across the Stars), followed by the credits, which consist of Anakin and Padmé's love theme, with Anakin's theme as the coda.

For Episode III (just going by my interpretation of what formula I see there to be) I think it could be possible to have a sad finale, with other characters' themes in the credits (I don't know... maybe Obi-wan, or Palpatine, or maybe even Padmé, if Williams makes one), with a pained version of Anakin's theme turning to the Imperial March (or perhaps even just the Imperial March) as the coda (the original trilogy had its 'happy martial fanfare-like' music for all of the codas, and so far the prequal trilogy has had Anakin's theme as the coda).

I could understand why the music may not reflect the symmetry and balance exhibited in the story... but is it possible it will?

Does anybody else have any ideas or comments about this?

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    It's interesting, as you say Williams likes to play with balance and duality in his music in the same way Lucas likes to.

The problem is that there is no 'happy ending' to the PT, but at the same time I'd imagine they would like to put in something to offer a little hope, a little cheer instead of just downbeat music. Maybe a very soulful version of the Force theme could be used, or even a version of the opening Star Wars theme which is often associated with Luke.

6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I was thinking along the same lines as far as Anakin's Theme goes: militarised, and played with the same Force and instruments as the Imperial March.

Also, I've been thinking the last shot of Episode III should be Obi-Wan walking off into the desert, the twin suns setting, as Beru and Owen, holding the baby Luke in their arms, watch. That would be the perfect place to use a fulll blown Force Theme.

7. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    An Imperial March would be perfect for the end. For the last shot of Anakin,play Anakin's theme very slowly,then slowly change it to IM

8. deltau922

deltau922 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    You know, the first time I heard DOTF, it reminded me a lot of the Shadows of the Empire CD, just because of all the human voice used. Speaking of which, there is a "moment" in the last track of SOTE that gives me visions of the climax of the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel. Some of you probably know what I'm talking about. Anyway, I have no doubt that JW's musical "moment" for this scene will be legendary.

9. camaro97

camaro97 Jedi Master

May 17, 2002
    In terms of the obi-wan and anakin duel, I put to gether a medly of music taken from all of the SW soundtracks and make a version that I envision as the music dduring the scene. The cues are recognizable and if you are realy know the music you can pick it out where they are exactly from. I took great care to make the music flow and make it one seamless track.

I'm hesitent to give the location of the mp3 file, you know copyright stuff.

Anyone who is interested can email me at mjanusek@attbi.com if you want the location of the file.

Sorry about the runnaround but this is my first post, long time listener first time caller.

Mark
    Pittsburgh, PA.

10. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Alright, here's a thought I had while running a few weeks ago. (I always have music playing in my head -- no headphones -- while I run. I've just been too distracted lately to post this.)

This ties in with the idea of JW bridging the themes of the entire Saga.

In no way does this contain spoilers. I am spolier-free. This is just some personal fantasy/speculation (see thread title.) :)

This would be very near the end of the film, probably the last scene before a potential final scene on Tatooine. I'm thinking more in terms of the score than the plot here. I'm thinking of an arrangement something like Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor, how the Force Theme and IM segue as the shot shifts from Luke to Vader.

This is the approach and arrival of Palpatine and Vader at the secret site where construction of the Death Star has begun. This can almost work symbolically as the opposite of Endor, where Palpy told Vader to wait on the Executor where Vader could sense Luke but Palpy could not. Maybe there could even be Force-communication between Master and Apprentice here...

As Palpy's shuttle begins orbiting this mysterious planet, we hear the choral Emperor's theme.

A star destroyer carrying Vader appears out of hyperspace and begins to orbit the planet in the opposite direction. We hear a soft IM cue, like in Shuttle Tydirium.

Cut back to Palpy's shuttle. Now the Emperor's Theme becomes a march played by brass, with some nice snare drums (think The Droid Invasion). It crescendos as the shuttle moves into the fleet on the far side of the planet.

Cut back to Vader's star destroyer making the same approach from the other side of the planet. (A nice red planet.) Now the IM segues into the ANH Imperial Theme, with some bouncing strings behind it, like near the end of Imperial Attack where Leia is brought before Vader. Inside, he gets into a TIE-prototype and races off through the fleet.

As his destination comes into view, transition to a quick reprise of The Death Star... The superstructure is even less complete than we see on the DSII in ROTJ. (Heck it's gonna take 'em 20 years to complete it.)... There is one shuttle bay complete, where Vader lands...

Cut back to Palpy's shuttle approaching the DS and landing... JW arranges a brilliant transition from a choral Emperor's Theme into a blowout Imperial March that tops "Dawn Of The Empire" and "The Emperor Arrives" as the shuttle lands and Vader greets his new master...

Of course, JW would dream up some fantastic non-thematic score to weave in here or there. :D

11. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    Wow.Even though I do not want to see the Death Star in III those were some really good ideas. Good work there!

12. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Thanks, Blast!

Maybe now someone else will read this! :p

13. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    It's easy to see how DOTF will be able to fit into Ep. III...

I wonder how difficult it will be, though, for Across The Stars. Perhaps a brief, meloncholy moment a step sadder than Love Pledge.

14. DarthArraKul

DarthArraKul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    well.. i f i had to pick something form the previous star wars scores i wanted to hear in ep3... i would be a reprise of the music used when han was dipped in carbonite..

i have always thought that that theme would be wonderful for the moment when anakin finally crosses the line and becomes darth vader... there is a large amount of drama in that selection followed up by the strongest rendition of the imperial march to date..

so.. whatch all think???

15. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I had the most amazing dream this night!
    I dreamed that I saw EpIII and as usual in my dreams, the film was far from Star Wars, but one thing remains in my head:
    The celebration for the Empire!
    At the end of the film, where there is no dialogue, there was a sequence of Coruscant´s citizens celebrating the rise of the Empire and it had this incredible choir piece.
    I can´t remember exactly how it went, but it was a hymn that for some reason reminded me of France. It was made as if the people in the film were singing the hymn. Imagine street level upon street level, we´re talking hundreds of thousands of citizens, singing a hymn together, while swinging huge banners back and forth. Banners were also hanging on walls and from beneath walkways. Talk about a massive ending!
    I know this probably won´t happen, but it was such an incredible experience so I just had to share it.

About reprising the carbon-freezing music: That would make a nice parallell! As long as he writes new music using the same melody, not copy&paste ;)

16. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I keep imagining all the possibilities for another choral piece...

17. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Some folks have been forgetting to use this thread for Ep. III speculation.

18. DarthBaconBarm

DarthBaconBarm Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2002
    Well unless anyone on these boards is working on the score with JW or knows more about Ep3 than the general public does, fan speculation is the only that can be done.
    How can someone post a spoiler if it's only speculation in the first place?
    A bit too much nit picking I think.

19. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Well, let's see...

There's this forum here called 3SA, where folks talk about plot points of Episode III. Those points that are "spoilers" should not be posted here.

For example, if this were ROTJ, we wouldn't want anyone to post "You know, for when Vader throws the Emperor down the reactor shaft, I think JW should do this...".

20. hirogunkenobi

hirogunkenobi Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2003
    hello you star wars freaks i have a fabules idea for the episode II cue across the stars a.k.a Love theme which john williams will use it for episode III what if williams composed a version of across the stars in a lullaby version i thought that would a very beautiful version of that cue i was thinking that williams will use that version of love theme when padme is giving birth to her two children luke and liea,its possible that i heard a roomur that liea might be born first and then luke which explins why did luke not remumbering his mother padme and so when liea is born padme will probuly hold her for a few minutes which williams will play a lullaby version of across the stars which in was padme's first and last time of seeing her child and sadly not luke and then after a few minutes padme dies in which the love theme ended in a mournful sad note

21. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    In such a scene, I would not have the love theme playing. Rather, Luke and Leia should be heard, or a new mother-theme for Padmé. Or both.
    But I don´t think we will witness the birth. Only if it has something to do with Padmé´s death.

EDIT: Come to think of it, hearing Luke and Leia playing while the first twin gives out his/her first scream would be wonderful.
    Could bring tears to quite a few eyes in the audience :)

22. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Let's use this thread. :)

23. Master_Destiny

Master_Destiny Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2004
    What we NEED to hear in ep.3!:

http://general-grievous.tripod.com/

24. saberjared-fx

saberjared-fx Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2004
    As long as he comes up with some new scores I'll be happy.

25. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I might expect a new motif or two, but I wonder if there will be an opportunity for an entirely new theme. I'm sure we'll hear cues containing most of the previous themes, so I wonder if there's even enough "space" for a new theme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.