main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Revenge Of The Sith (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Archive: Western Canada Regional Forum' started by Jaeden2k, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaeden2k

Jaeden2k Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2002
    Well, now that everyone has had a chance to see the movie more than once. Why not do something out of the ordinary in this Forum. Talk about the movies.

I for one loved every minute of the film. I've watched it 3 times and each time I've come away with a greater passion for all Episodes. Each time, I came home and watched Episode IV just to see how well both movies tie into one another. I play hockey during the summer and I'll watch this movie before each hockey game as they are close enough.

When Darth Vader realises that he's 'killed' Padme, that is the last show of emotion we'll see until the end of Return of the Jedi. I thought that was beautiful. I initially got chills when he took his first breath behind the mask.

Everything was so fast paced and overwhelming that it'll take me another 2 of 3 viewings to appreciate it more. Clone Wars II and Revenge of the Sith DVD's are what's left to complete my collection.

George, thanks for taking me on an incredible journey that's lasted 28 years!!!

2. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Well said, Jaeden. I love this movie and I'll make it my mission to see it as many times as possible in the theater. After watching RotS all the little "holes" in the other movies are filled and it really helps to fill out and complete the saga. I can't wait for it on DVD and hopefully there'll be a box-set of the prequels. :)

3. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    it was awesome, loved every minute of it, only seen it 4 times so far

4. Jaeden2k

Mar 11, 2002
    Rogue, I never thought about the box set for quite sometime. It's apparent that this box set will have to be something spectacular. As of right now, I have in my collection:

Beta Star Wars: A New Hope
    VHS Star Wars: A New Hope
    VHS Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
    VHS Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi
    VHS Star Wars: Trilogy Box Set (Widescreen)
    VHS Star Wars: The Making of Star Wars
    VHS Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (Widescreen)
    DVD Star Wars: Special Edition Trilogy Box Set (Widescreen)
    DVD Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (Widescreen)
    DVD Star Wars: The Attack of the Clones (Widescreen)
    DVD Star Wars: Clone Wars I

I'm sure that RotS will undoubtedly be a 2 disc as well. To complete me collection, I'd have to purchase the Episode III DVD. In order for me to shell out $200 on an Ultimate DVD Box Set, George will have to come up with the usual Never Before Seen footage, or make his own 'Director's Cut' DVD of the entire saga with Bonus Footage. I'm sure there were time when scenes made the cutting room floor like the Jabba/Han meeting on Tatooine, docking bay 94.

p.s. Did anyone notice 1138 anywhere in Revenge?

5. Jaeden2k

Mar 11, 2002
    Wow. I don't know if this is on purpose or what? I am starting to realize that this Western Canada Regional Forum doesn't like to engage in conversations about anything to do with the movies. Aside from the couple of posts by yours truly, there hasn't been any threads on the topic of movies and/or reactions to Episode II & III.

I think you might have to change the title to Hangman & Trivia Forum. I love a good puzzle and game just as much as the next person, but I have tried to generate some discussions on the movies and have failed miserably.

That's my take.

Thanks!

6. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Sorry mate. I didn't even see you'd posted. :)

No, I couldn't find 1138 anywhere in RotS, but I plan on seeing it at least 5 more times so I'll keep checking. ;)

Did you happen to catch George Lucas' cameo?

7. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    didn't see 1138, saw george the first time. stupid box sets, making us spend more money, how many version do we need, i just have two versions of the episode 4,5,6, the 15th anniversary box set and the dvds box set. then vhs and dvd of episode 1 and jsut dvd of episode 2

interesting rumours about more prequels http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/PrequelPrequel_Rumors_of_More_Movies_92928.asp

8. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Yeah, saw those. I won't put much stock in them until I hear it right from the horse's mouth. Would be pretty cool though.

Maybe that's the area the TV series will cover...

9. Jaeden2k

Mar 11, 2002
    Star Wars Episode 0

(BANG) - George Lucas is set to make another 'Star Wars' movie after promising fans the latest instalment would be the last.

The director is reportedly planning a seventh sequel of the popular sci-fi series after telling friends he wants to develop the story further.

Lucas has already outlined the plot of the as-yet untitled movie, which will take place 100 years before current film 'Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith'.

A movie insider said: "George believes there are even more stories to tell.

"His latest idea would feature an almost all-new cast, apart from the Jedi master Yoda, who would be the hero of the new movie."

Lucas's plan is sure to excite 'Star Wars' fans as the tiny green character is a cult hero among devotees.

In the saga, Yoda, voiced by Frank Oz, famously trained Jedi knight Luke Skywalker to defeat evil villain Darth Vader.

However, a spokesperson for the movie-maker refused to confirm the plans.

&EngCP; BANG Media International

Wow!!! But why go back in time? Move the story forward and bring back Luke, Leia, and Han!

10. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    There's no way Harrison Ford would play Han Solo, unless George got out the old dump-truck full of money. ;)

11. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    i think one in the past would be cool. totally new story line and characters. easier to do than pick up after episode VI

12. Jaeden2k

Mar 11, 2002
    Yeah you guys are right.

Imagine a young yoda kicking SITH ass!

A whole new Trilogy featuring Yoda. But what of the Sith? There can only be two. A Master and an Apprentice! To quote C-3PO, "I'm so confused!"

13. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    oh yeah, i forgot yoda is super old and could be in them, that'd be cool

14. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Well a thousand years before TPM the Sith were a lot more than 2. They had an entire army that threatened the Republic. The problem with that story arc is that Yoda's only 900 so that puts it off by about 100 years.

15. Jaeden2k

Mar 11, 2002
    mmm, this dilema...puzzling it is!

Palpatine hinted at a possible story line. Darth Plagus! Could He be the apprentice that killed Darth Plagus in his sleep? Could we see how Palpatine was introduced to the Dark Side?

But, that only goes back about 50 - 60 years.

16. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Darth Plagueis was Palpatine's master.

17. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    that would be interesting, but further removed would be better

18. Jaeden2k

Mar 11, 2002
    Going back to when the Sith ruled the galaxy with an Iron Fist would leave Yoda as the central character. We all know that the Sith kick ass! We know what happens to Yoda, so it'll be hard to base any movie on him being the central character.

Could be based on the Sith and all that's evil within. Characters like Anakin/Vader who are so evil, but you kinda have that little soft spot for them. The Republic has stood for 2000 years and Yoda is 900 years old. Basically, the sky's the limit with this one, George!

19. Winterfrost

Winterfrost Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2003
    Note: This is not meant to be a bashing/flame-inciting post. Merely my opinion.

I am *very* sad to say that I was not all that impressed with RotS. :(

Pros:
    - Some amazing visuals! I loved the tracking shots through the opening battle. Grievous was very realistic. Most of the duel was breathtaking.
    - Lighthearted moments helped bring back some of the OT feel.
    - Portman nailed her part. Some may not have liked the role, but I thought she did a great job with what she had. MUCH better than her performances in E1 and E2 (for the record, I am a big TPM fan, not so big AotC fan).
    - When Hayden was "Bad" he was GOOD. :)

My favourite moments:
    - As "cutesy" as it was, I really liked the "I love you more" bit between Anakin and Padme. :p It was authentic "young love" and was one of the few glimpses in the movie into Anakin's good heart... and that Padme was his life.
    - Though I was certain I would hate it (I was completely against the idea of Anakin personally killing the Younglings), I loved the way Lucas handled the Younglings in the Council Chamber. They could not have found a more "sweet" kid to play the Youngling that approached Anakin for help. It absolutely made that moment and brought very satisfying gasps from the audience.
    - Anakin's final moments were heart-wrenching. Best. "I hate you!" Ever.

Cons:
    - The movie was EXTREMELY disjointed. It "felt" edited, even moreso than AotC. All of my friends (hard-core and casual SW fans alike) walked out with the same impression.
    - I was very disappointed in some of the cuts that were made (e.g. formation of Rebellion) and felt the story was not served well by some of the things that were left in (e.g. the whole Kashyyyk/Wookiee sequence).
    - Ewan's heart did not seem to be into it. He MADE the previous prequels. He didn't "feel" like Obi-Wan through much of the movie to me and gave some of the worst line-deliveries in the movie.
    - McDiarmid: Awesome as Palpatine. Cartoony as Sidious. The shifty-eyed whining of Sidious in his final moments with Mace can't hold a candle to the EVIL of RotJ's: "So be it... Jedi..."
    - Dooku was cartoony too. They took a dignified and menacing duellist from AotC and made him a flipping (literally, was the CGI flip from the balcony really necessary?) moron in RotS. This was a moment for a great, emotional rematch, and I think it fell flat.
    - I haven't heard one person say they felt that Yoda was clearly outmatched by Sidious. I hate it when I'm clobbered over the head with "The Obvious" in a movie, but the reason for his retreat needed to be much clearer. It was an even fight! If there was some impending danger (clone troopers approaching, etc.) that should have been clearer.
    - Compared to the beauty that was the wide-shot Obi/Maul clash from TPM, the Obi/Ani duel was far too close and confusing. In a scene like the fight down the tight hallway (which was brilliant!) it's good to get close and make it feel claustrophic, but otherwise I want a nice clear shot of the amazing hard work that Hayden and Ewan put into getting that fight JUST right! The dominant blue blur washed out too much of the detail...
    - The special effects during the lava surfing part were really awful and took me out of the moment -- especially compared to the awesome effects through the rest of the duel -- and the whole movie.

All that being said, I intend to see it again because the prequels have all improved upon second watching. After only one viewing, however, RotS ranks as my least favourite. :(

20. Jaeden2k

Mar 11, 2002
    Cons:
    - The movie was EXTREMELY disjointed. It "felt" edited, even moreso than AotC. All of my friends (hard-core and casual SW fans alike) walked out with the same impression.

I thought its was EXTREMELY well thought out and presented.

- I was very disappointed in some of the cuts that were made (e.g. formation of Rebellion) and felt the story was not served well by some of the things that were left in (e.g. the whole Kashyyyk/Wookiee sequence).

The Formation of the rebellion is a given and doesn't need to be thrust upon us like we're watching for the first time. This is the 3rd installment on the story of a fall from grace. Not the birth of a rebellious set of twins. Kashyyyk/Wookiee's...I'll give you this one because we could have introduced Cheewie in some other way.

- Ewan's heart did not seem to be into it. He MADE the previous prequels. He didn't "feel" like Obi-Wan through much of the movie to me and gave some of the worst line-deliveries in the movie.

Ewan was spectacular! The only one scene that could have been directed better was the deliverence of the younglings fate to Padme.

- McDiarmid: Awesome as Palpatine. Cartoony as Sidious. The shifty-eyed whining of Sidious in his final moments with Mace can't hold a candle to the EVIL of RotJ's: "So be it... Jedi..."

As for Palpatine's whinning. It only came when Anakin came into his office, so he could pull Anakin's strings to help destroy Mace.

- Dooku was cartoony too. They took a dignified and menacing duellist from AotC and made him a flipping (literally, was the CGI flip from the balcony really necessary?) moron in RotS. This was a moment for a great, emotional rematch, and I think it fell flat.

I could have done without Dooku flipping off the terrace as well. But, rather have him walk down ever so slowly with some dialogue. With that being said, you have to understand that aside from that, the scene was done well to show that Anakin has become very powerful to make such short work of Dooku in his path to replace him.

- I haven't heard one person say they felt that Yoda was clearly outmatched by Sidious. I hate it when I'm clobbered over the head with "The Obvious" in a movie, but the reason for his retreat needed to be much clearer. It was an even fight! If there was some impending danger (clone troopers approaching, etc.) that should have been clearer.

Huh?

- Compared to the beauty that was the wide-shot Obi/Maul clash from TPM, the Obi/Ani duel was far too close and confusing. In a scene like the fight down the tight hallway (which was brilliant!) it's good to get close and make it feel claustrophic, but otherwise I want a nice clear shot of the amazing hard work that Hayden and Ewan put into getting that fight JUST right! The dominant blue blur washed out too much of the detail...

I honestly don't know how you can come away from the longest duel in film history negatively? I have a special place in my heart for the Obi-Wan/Maul battle, but this fight was extraordinary! I was on the edge of my seat, even knowing the outcome!

- The special effects during the lava surfing part were really awful and took me out of the moment -- especially compared to the awesome effects through the rest of the duel -- and the whole movie.

I don't know how many of the Saga you've watched? The entire Saga is made under the genre of the Saturday Afternoon Matinees. GOD I miss those days!

All that being said, I intend to see it again because the prequels have all improved upon second watching. After only one viewing, however, RotS ranks as my least favourite.

Alright, here's my take. I really don't understand why people go into a movie with higher expectations that is humanly possible. Sure, George could have made a 3 hour movie, and 4 hour director's cut to attempt to satisfy everyone's idea of how his story should be told. I remember watching Buck Rogers and not complaining about how shoddy the effects were or how bad the performances were, and in

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.