main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Revenge of the Sith

Discussion in 'Archive: Slavic Countries General Discussion' started by Amon_Amarth, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    w00t. I've had it for almost a month, watched it once, hated it and didn't watch it again :p

2. Deciple_of_Malak

Deciple_of_Malak Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2005
    Hurray for 'Revenge' DVD! Cobra, why do you say that you hated it? :confused:

3. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    The film is crap, the extras are crap. I hate the whole PT, utter crap.

The only good bits in RotS are: Anakin killing Jedi/Seppies/Padme, and Obi-Wan cutting off his legs.

The rest of it is mindless crap.

And personally I think it's the best of the PT, so what does that say about the rest of them?

4. Jedi_Orion

Jedi_Orion Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2004
    So, what do you think about people who think PT is better than OT in soooooo many ways? :D

P.S.: I prefer OT, but I think PT was a good concept that just wasn't realized right. :)

5. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    I think that they need their heads checking, hence why I am on the Virtual Prequels project.

6. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    I prefer OT, but I think PT was a good concept that just wasn't realized right.

That's exactly what I think... Except the fact that even the concept was not that good.

7. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Another reason I'm doing Virtual Prequels. A shame that the place has died.

8. Raja_Io

Aug 28, 2005
    And what actually was that?

9. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Um, we're remaking the prequels. DorkmanScott is the bloke in charge, but he's gone on holiday or something. In other words, we completely redo the Prequels as Fanfilms or something, some people write scripts, some do Artstills, some do acting, etc.

10. Jedi_Orion

Jedi_Orion Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2004
    The whole thing would have been much better if Lucas hired a competent director and a writer for the PT. [face_plain] There are A LOT of good EU writers who could have in some way contributed to the scripts, and make the movies more enjoyable.

For me, TPM is a relatively good idea. Had the script been better... who knows... as it is, many good actors' talents were wasted.

AOTC is just plain idiotic. 'nuff said... Those who say it's the best SW movie EVER are morons, IMO. We can only pray they'll get smarter in the future. :p

ROTS suffers from extremly BAD editing (personaly, I want to go midevil on Ben Burtt [face_frustrated] ), and has a somewhat bad script (if you ignore some plot holes the size of a small galaxy). Stower's adaptation was ten times better than the actuall movie.

11. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Yeah, I won't watch RotS anymore, I just read the book.

12. Raja_Io

Aug 28, 2005
    I guess they should have had a quarter of the original budget. Maybe then they would try to create really good story with just a bit realistic characters, instead of thinking about another lightsaber fight/pod race/space battle to crowd as much of them as possible into 2 hour movie. [face_plain]

13. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I liked ROTS. The more I watch it, the better I think it is.

14. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    o_O

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I think I'll stcik with the good movies :p

15. Lord_of_all_Noldor

Lord_of_all_Noldor Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2005
    I guess they should have had a quarter of the original budget. Maybe then they would try to create really good story with just a bit realistic characters, instead of thinking about another lightsaber fight/pod race/space battle to crowd as much of them as possible into 2 hour movie.

What are you saying? The effects were brilliant! Not many movies have those kind of space battles, in fact this is the best space battle and duel I've ever seen!
    Realistic characters?!? Come on! Don't expect anything realistic of sci-fi! besides, characters were very well characterised.

16. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    No, the characters were superficial, had little to no good dialogue, weren't acted well at all, and such.

And I think Raja was saying that if they had a smaller budget, they might have concentrated on getting the story good instead of just trying to overpower everything with special effects and fights.

I mean, the first 13 minutes of the movie are completely CGI, and after that most of it is. I don't think they built a single full set without the usage of CGI. They built the veranda of Padme's apartment, but that's still got CGI water in the fountain, CGI skyline, CGI everything.

If Lucas didn't rely on computers so much, he might have made a good film.

The OT is good because it was done on a limited budget, so in order to draw the crowds Lucas had to have a good plot, something that would grip the audience and compell them to watch them again and again.

The PT, however, had a huge budget, so Lucas probably didn't mind if he lost a few people here and there. Also, the audience were mainly drawn through the reputuation and genius of the OT. Had the PT come first in the state it is now, SW wpuld have flopped, badly. It wouldn't have been anywhere near as popular, because it is too heavy on action and not heavy enough on plot, moving it along at a reasonable rate. I mean, AOTC moves so quickly from one scene to the next half the time you're left wondering what the hell just happened. Whilst RotS isn't as bad as this, it still leaves something to be desired. The only actually good plotline that was written was cut out, the formation of the Rebellion scenes have a direction, link in perfectly with the OT, and don't contradict 300 things in order to do so. Yet these good plotlines were cut out in order to make way for the frankly ridiculous reason for Anakin's fall, which is completely and utterly unbelievable, unless he was a complete and utter narcissist, which I have a hard time believing as he is a Jedi, who are trained to not be narcissistic.

The PT suffers from the same thing that made the Matrix sequels so bad.

The first movie (SW: Original Trilogy) is made on a limited budget, has a good plot, explains itself, is amazingly balanced between plot and action and works alone. The sequels (SW:pT), following the success of the precursor, throw plot to the wind and make it a highbrow action fest with some undignified and badly written plot playing along in the background, never taking precedence, the whole thing just an excuse to show lots of fighting.

Matrix Sequels = Teh Suck
    Prequel Trilogy = Teh Suck

17. Lord_of_all_Noldor

Lord_of_all_Noldor Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2005
    I don't agree here. Prequel characters aren't superficial. They are just old fashioned. George Lucas made the like he did the OT characters. People like and accept the OT characters becouse they are from that time. Nowdays, people aren't used to this. Lucas did Prequels like he did the OT, only in modern times. His style remained the same.
    Say what you whish, but you are not a true fan if you don't accept every aspect of Star Wars. [face_plain]

18. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    So then Purists aren't true SW fans because they don't like EU? Or Cartoons? Or Comics? Or TV Programmes? I don't think anyone liked Holiday Special, so that means that there are no SW fans in the world. Interesting...

And if that is the case, about the modern times thing, then how come people who watch the OT in today's world still like it? The OT and PT are completely different styles, one is plot orientated, the other Action orientated.

And I wasn't aware that old fashioned characters were as dense as an empty bottle. I mean, sure, in the PT there's love, hatred, anger, but these are all surface emotions. There's no over-riding conflict, no lasting scars, dammit, Padme is so vac-brained that she can't even bring herself to realise that she's married to a person who is manipulated with no effort expended whatsoever.

In the PT there are 2 whole characters with a personality. Palpatine, and Yoda. Palpatine because he is plotting and scheming, knowing what happens and taking control well. He corrupts well and, whilst no background is known, he is a powerful charcter and exudes knowledge and Power. Yoda is the opposite, not letting anything stand in the way of his quest for a good galaxy. But even then he's blinded by the Jedi morals.

GL used to be able to write well, back before Howard, but nowadays he's just trying too hard and failing dismally.

19. Darth_Fizyk

Darth_Fizyk Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2003
    isn't that some sort of sect/church? [face_thinking]

Whot do you expect of a man who hasn't been married for about 20 years? :confused: He could forget something... :p

20. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Purists are people who only like the movies, not the EU.

And the second bit I didn't understand at all :p

21. Raja_Io

Aug 28, 2005
    Me too :confused:
    Fizyk, did you mistake Purists and Puritans?

And as for the movies, I mostly agree with Cobra.

I see the word "realistic" for characters was wrong, but still, the budget was the point for me. The OT was a great story with a bit of special effects here and there to vary it, and the PT is the opposite: one big special effect with some plot, just to have some actors to put on the poster. It draws people more than just fighters and droids.

22. Darth_Fizyk

Jul 10, 2003
    probably... ;-)

budget is not the only point, the second is technology. Lucas just wanted to play with his new 'toys', like digital cameras, green screen, etc. Return and Empire Strikes back had much bigger budget than New Hope, but those films were better :)

23. Raja_Io

Aug 28, 2005
    But these days small budget means less effects. You can't take the technology from them ;)

24. Darth_Fizyk

Jul 10, 2003
    Yes, You can't that can be easily seen in Jackson's Lord of the Rings. This film beggining from the Two Towers is one big crap. :p

25. Raja_Io

Aug 28, 2005
    But here we don't have any original movie to compare to. Maybe it would just be crappy no matter what [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.