main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Reverie ? Vignette ? Response to First Sentence Challenge; Post-Swarm War (Valin Horn, Syal Antilles

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by TelannaTani, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TelannaTani

TelannaTani Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Name: Reverie
    Author: Telanna?tani
    Timeframe: Post-Swarm War (read for more)
    Characters: Valin Horn, Syal Antilles
    Genre: Vignette? possible further development?
    Notes: Response to First Sentence Challenge, Twich's Twisted Sisters.

Click here to view that thread.

My readers inspired me to write something more! I generally tend toward writing more major characters, like Jaina or Jag Fel (hopefully you?ll see some of that soon as well), but this came about as I challenged myself to look at other, more minor chars as well! Apparently I?m in a Horn family kick. Also, I looked for details concerning the physical attributes of Syal Antilles and came up short. So if you have more info, let me know and I can tweak it accordingly. Review and please post comments - respectful constructive criticism welcome. Thanks!

Once again, I hope you enjoy! [:D]

He realized his error at just the moment that her fist connected with his mouth in a jaw cracking explosion of pain. Whole star systems seemed to flash before his eyes as he back peddled several steps in response to the blow. His sister had hit him once or twice before, but never with such ferocity and speed. He subtly used the Force to steady himself, glad she wouldn?t notice.

?And the next time you decide to insult my family, Valin Horn, you?re going to find yourself spread flat on the duracrete ? Jedi or no.? Lysa Dunter spun on her heal and marched from the corner where they?d been standing, sharing drinks in the officer?s mess.

?Wha?d I say?!? was all Valin could muster as his body adjusted to the shock she?d delivered to his system. Finally in control of his motor skills again, he jogged after her. ?Lysa, wait!? He hated the way he seemed to stumble over her name. He always felt weird call her that because?well, it wasn?t her name. Courtesy of their parents? long standing and close friendship, Valin was one of the few people on the planet ? probably in the whole sector ? who knew Lysa Dunter by her true name: Syal Antilles.

Jogging behind her, it was all he could do not to admire the view as he watched her determined gait down the corridor. Flight suits should be more form fitting, I think? He smiled to himself at the thought, once again glad he was dress in regular civilian clothing, and not his rather conspicuous Jedi robes. Soon the ceiling gave way to open sky and a salty fragrance accompanied the afternoon breeze as the corridor turned on to one of the open pavilions so prominent on Mon Calamari. The city they were stationed on was Aqualas, and since the time when the planet had served as the capitol of the GFFA during the Yuuzhan Vong war, had been a haven for activity. Now, it served as the base of operations for the sector ? a place both the Jedi and the military could be seen together on a regular basis.

And that was the point, in Valin?s mind. He had been thrilled when he?d heard she and her squadron ? the VibroSwords - been assigned to Aqualas for patrol. For as long as he could remember, he?d been infatuated with her slight frame, flowing dark-blonde hair and eyes so blue you could swim in them ? not to mention that warrior spirit (he tried to forget the pain in his jaw for a moment) and her impressive skills as a pilot. As they?d grown up, and seen each other less and less, they?d kept in touch often, writing back and forth as childhood friends ? and very nearly cousins ? tend to do. But in the past year it had finally occurred to Valin that his feelings towards Syal were not as innocent they had once been. Since that day he?d made it a point to spend as much time as possible with the woman, hoping that her feelings had developed (or would develop) in the same direction.

Which was why, as he tracked her across the pavilion, he was so shocked at her reaction. He would NEVER insult the Antilles family ? they were practically HIS f

2. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Very nicely done. =D= =D=

Soon the ceiling gave way to open sky and a salty fragrance accompanied the afternoon breeze as the corridor turned on to one of the open pavilions so prominent on Mon Calamari.

A very nice setting for this piece.

A love deeper than the ocean below them, and more powerful than the sun that warmed them,

My favorite line.

?VALIN HORN!? The whisper was nearly a yell ? sent through the air and the Force ? jarring him out of his memory. His head snapped towards the speaker, coming face to face with Jaina Solo. ?Stop daydreaming and let?s move! The Corellian forces are heading south.?

[face_shame_on_you] Jaina Solo for interruped his daydream. But he does have work to do. Maybe he can get back to that dream later on, so we can see how Syal reacted to his declaration.

3. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    Very good job TelannaTani!

You've got the two of them well developed here. and of course I loved the fact that it was all just a daydream....

now of course thre's the question if what he daydreamed is what really happened or not...

Great job!

4. aurrasingrules101

aurrasingrules101 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2003
    JESS!!!

this was so good!! great work, i loved it, wonderful emotion. i'm all for a Syal/Valin 'ship. they're just so right for each other.

and i'll definitely be looking forward to the J/J work you mentioned...;)

fabulous vig, keep it up!

5. Obi-Wandering

Obi-Wandering Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2005
    Very nice Telanna:

Enjoyed that the shippiness of it was suddenly punctuated by the reality of Jaina.

Would love to see this expanded into a longer story. Two great strong personalities in Syal and Valin would make for a great 'ship!

Great challenge response!

6. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Wow!!!

I agree with many of the others you really should develope this into a longer story...I loved what you did with Syal and Valin...I loved Syal in Betrayal and Valin is one of my favorite underused, underdeveloped and sadly forgotten characters by Profic...

You did an outstanding job on this...I loved it...

If you expand on this or write companion pieces to this could you please PM me...Thanks...

FL @};-

7. padawan3

padawan3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Very enternaining, from the physical slap by Syal to the verbal slap by Jaina. I enjoyed it.

8. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Lookee, I'm being good and breaking the lurker habit :p

I like! And I knew there was gonna be a jolt at the end, it was going way too nicely. And of course, there was the title ;)

9. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Awwww. [face_love] For a moment, I thought you were being very evil and saying that the romantic moment was just a dream and had never hapened. Thank goodness it did! :p

I'd love to know if you continue this. :D

10. TelannaTani

Jun 28, 2005
    Wow! Well, to start off with, I wanted to let you all know that I DO plan on continuing this story. The plot bunnies have struck, and led me down a nice little trail that promises action, romance and ? well, I can?t tell you EVERYTHING. :D Please let me know if you?d like to be PMed at the outset of what is currently named ?Pursuit.? Some of you have already done so, and have been added to the list. Thank you for your enthusiasm and support!

Replies:

Lola: Thank you! I?m glad you like the setting. As we continue, you?ll get a better picture of the city as I imagine it. Also, I?m glad you picked that sentence ? lol. It took me a while to get it to where I liked it! :D As we go on we?ll get to see things from Syal?s perspective. Too bad the peace won?t last? [face_worried]

Kidan: Thank you! I?m glad you liked them. I have to say that they?re quickly becoming two of my fave characters. And as far as THIS story goes, it was all very much a flashback. Memory of their first kiss a little over a year ago. Now the present will catch up with them? Thanks again for reading and for your continued support!

Aurra: I think they?re perfect for each other too! And don?t worry, J/J will come in time. It just may be after this one. Thanks again, Beth!

Obi-Wandering: Thanks for reading! Jaina sure knows how to ruin a moment, huh?! ;) I?ll let you know when I begin to post the full story.

Flowerlady: Your wish is my command. *bows* A longer story will be forthcoming. I agree with you that Valin is underused! For some great Valin development, I recommend T?Keira_Lea?s Force Evolution series. It?s a Jaina/Jag fic that features Valin as Jaina?s apprentice. It?s great stuff! And you will be PMed when I begin posting. Thanks dear! [face_hug]

padawan3: Thanks for reading! I?m glad you enjoyed it. :D

Shinar: Wait, don?t I know you from somewhere? Oh Wait! *teehee* Sorry, I couldn?t help myself. So glad you replied, my friend. And you?re right, it was going WAY to smoothly. Don?t worry, that won?t last long. [face_devil]

JadeSolo: Yeppers, it did! The questions ?where do we go from here?? comes to mind though? [face_worried]. I?ll PM you when I begin posting!

Again, thank you all for reading! The next week or so will be hectic as I?ve got a vacation coming up. But I?ll let you all know when we move forward!

11. sshelly34213

sshelly34213 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    sweet that's good you're going to continue with this story, I always thought Valin and Syal should get together, cant wait for more!

12. Evil_Charity

Evil_Charity Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    Good job! :D

Before he realized what was happening, their lips were fused, pulled together by a gravity unknown to them.

Nice description of kisses that just...happen.

?Syal Annette Antilles. I love you. I love you for who you are and who you are not. I love you for your skills, your weaknesses, your wits and your humor, your beauty and your brain. I love all of you, completely ? no matter what name you go by. I love your family as my own. I would never insult them. Jedi or no, I have my own faults, my own weaknesses. Beyond all the titles and powers and abilities, I?m just a man.?

He paused. ?? a man totally in love with you.?

Aw! I love that speech!

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

E[face_good_luck]C

13. Jessoass

Jessoass Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2005
    oh damn dreams can be so cruel[face_mischief]

Great post!!!=D=

14. TelannaTani

Jun 28, 2005
    More Replies!

Sorry they?re so late in coming, guys. Vacation was great!

Sshelly34213: Thanks for reading! You?ll be added to the PM List.

Evil_Chairy: I?m so glad you stopped by ? and you liked it! I think the ?just a man? comment was inspired by the end of Notting Hill, if you?ve seen it. It just seemed to fit.

Jessoass: Sketch! Thanks for stopping by! I hope you like it.

Can?t wait to move forward. I just have to wait until DRL calms down a bit. I?ll keep you informed!

*~Telanna~*

15. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    I really enjoyed this. Your description of Valin's feelings for Syal was touching.

I so glad you will be expanding this story. Looking forward to more.

16. Darkwriter

Darkwriter Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2006
    Oh . . . so sweet! I love these Valin/Syal pairings. It makes so much sense. They did spend half the war together (with Jysella and Myri) in the Core.

I love Valin and his feelings! And Syal and her attitude! This was done beautifully!

17. TelannaTani

Jun 28, 2005
    Wow, Thanks, guys!

PrincessCambria: I?m glad you liked it. I really wanted it to be accurate. I?ll put you on the PM list.

Darkwriter: You?ve read more Valin/Syal?! Where?! I?d love to read more. I agree completely. After so much time together like that, something?s BOUND to develop! I?ll let you know when I expand this!

Thanks again to all my readers ? and the lurkers too! Just knowing that people have read and appreciated it makes it all worth while.

*~Telanna~*

18. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Oh you've GOT to continue with this! Just wonderful!=D=

19. Darkwriter

Darkwriter Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2006
    I read a Syal/Valin vig a loooooong time ago. It was a vig where Wedge is mad that his seventeen year old daughter is dating a pilot. Iella reminds him that he is a pilot, and he says, "Exactly!" She tells them that Valin is Corran's son, and he repies, "Exactly!" I read another one within a J/TK story. It's not going on anymore, and I can't remember the name . . . but maybe you can start a trend!

20. TnTornado

TnTornado Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2006
    hey, please add me to the pm list, I've never read any of this pairing, but it does make sense age wise. Not sure temperment wise but thats because I've never really read much with them.

TnTornado

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.