main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vancouver Review and Discussion of ROTS *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Azeria_Jade, May 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azeria_Jade

Azeria_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2001
    Saw it yet? Of course you all have! Discuss perhaps the most anticipated movie in years!

2. omar_r786

omar_r786 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2004
    RotS was the best of the prequels by far. The opening battle was pretty cool, but I was kind of disappointed with Grievous. Seemed pointless, they should have put in some back story about him. The Kashyyyk battle should have gone on longer. The battle scenes, however, were all awesome. The final duel was great, as well as the Mace vs. Sidious fight. Seeing Palp jump out of his seat really set it off. I thought the Yoda vs. Sidious battle should have been longer as well. Vader's "no" was just horrible. So were all the scenes between Anakin and Padme. Lucas shouldn't be allowed to write love scenes. Padme was pretty much useless in this movie. And is it just me or do you guys think that most of the duels in the PT end kind of lame? Phantom Menace's Darth Maul duel probably ended the best but in Ep. II Dooku just ended up running and in RotS Anakin got his legs chopped off all of a sudden, while Yoda ran after fighting for about 2 mins. The ending was very well done, the sunset on Tatooine was GREAT. Best to worst, imo:

1 - Empire Strikes Back
    2 - A New Hope
    3 - Revenge of the Sith
    4 - Return of the Jedi
    5 - The Phantom Menace
    6 - Attack of the Clones

3. djj_rome

djj_rome Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    ROTS was an awesome experience for me. Loved it.. was truly a magnificent experience seeing a Star Wars Movie of this scale for the first time in theatre, as I experienced the original trilogy on VHS before seeing the Special Editions in theatres and was somewhat dissapointed by the first two prequels.

I have seen it twice now opening night at 12:01 and saturday morning 11:30am show. Loved it both times.
    But I also was not a big fan of the Love Scenes, Lucas should be getting help writing these if he ever does any again... They were painful to listen to at times. I went in expecting great action and got it. Loved the lightsaber battles and the space battle that opened the movie was amazing. Grevious I felt made a great foe for what he was there for and after watching all the Clone Wars Cartoons I was really looking forward to seeing Grevious on the Big Screen. I love the tie in between the Clone Wars scene where Mace Windu force crushes Grevious resulting in his coughing in movie, which everyone was complaining about...

I loved all the easter eggs in the movie, seeing the Falcon, George Lucas and his kids made the movie something extra to see on the second time around.

I wish they would have shown more though.. I really want to see Anakin get diced up in slow motion to see how he really loses 3 limbs in one move by Obi Wan. Also would love to see the scene with yoda talking to Qui Gon and more of the Wookie battle, I think this would have added alot more to this already great movie.

Anyways thanks to the great crowd in theatre 12 at Silvercity Riverport at 12:01.. It was a truly amazing movie that I will be seeing again.

4. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    I've seen it every day since Thursday, and it just gets better and better each day. [face_devil]

Seriously, though, it does have it's fair share of problems, but then again, so did the others, so it's no real biggie.

5. SquallLeonhart

SquallLeonhart Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2004
    I'm totally in agreeance with Omar. Very astute review. The Vader "NOOOOO!" at the end was cool up until the actual NOOO part...I mean the force powers destroying everything was wicked. And Boga! Boga rocled my socks off! Sooooooo unbelievably cool. Well, that's all I care to mention...so yeah...wicked awesome.

6. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    **super long post warning**

Uhhh, you'll have to tell me what/who Boga is. Was that the creature Obi-Wan was riding?

Is Clone Wars season 2 even released in Canada yet? How would I know what happened in it unless it's been on TV (or I shell out more cash for GL for Hyperspace, or get a ripped off copy from the internet, which of course Lucas wouldn't want us to do)? The average SW viewer is probably totally mystified by Grievous' coughing. I was.

Here's my (very long) first and second impressions on the movie. Seen it four times now, the first two being the best mainly because the audiences were great. The showings I saw on Friday night, the audiences were awful! Laughing loud and long at totally inappropriate scenes! (Anakin pledging himself to Sidious, Anakin about to kill the younglings. The hell?)

Okay I'm just going to free flow this, in no particular order:

- Sad sad sad - but not because of Padme, which I thought would be sadder (that was still sad, but not like I thought it would be). No, what makes me sad is the death of Anakin. And of course I mean "death" in the Obi-Wan sense of the word, 'from a certain point of view' - which comment doesn't make me roll my eyes anymore, because it is so true.

- I cried every time when he goes up in flames, and when he says "I HATE you!!!" to Obi-Wan. And the juxtaposition of the twins being born, all soft and vulnerable, while what's left of Anakin is being imprisoned in a hard shell. Every time I see the Vader mask now I'm going to tear up.

- I thought Grievous got a bit too much screen time, as he was somewhat unnecessary (they could have used Dooku as the foil), but I have to say I realllly dug his four-sabre windmill action! THAT was cool! And I know Matthew Wood did the voice, but his voice/accent kept reminding me of someone else, but I haven't figured out who yet.

- I liked the opening, with Obi-Wan and Anakin's flying sequence and rescuing Palpatine. Nice sabre stuff there too, and some nice humour.

- Loved Ian McDiarmid - wow did he rock in this. He's fantastic in the others too, of course, but he was brilliant in this. His transformation was kind of sad too.

- I did love the major washboard stomach shot of Anakin early on in the movie - it's nice to see Lucas finally acknowledge that he's also got female fans. Whoo!

- One thing that makes me really chuckle is the bit at the end, when Yoda tells Obi-Wan he's got homework for him on Tatooine - the look on Obi-Wan's face is priceless - "but I was going to catch up on some serious drinking at the Cantina!!!" Kenobi, you lush.

- Oh and SQUEEEE!!! I totally squeaked and elbowed Alison when Jeremy Bulloch showed up unexpectedly onscreen - I didn't know he had a cameo!

- And I cried the first viewing when the credits rolled - no more Star Wars!

- I did not dig Mace Windu in this. I think Sam L. did a fine enough job - it's the character. Or maybe I'm just too much in sympathy with Anakin, and am seeing everything from his perspective. I almost felt relief when Windu was offed by Palpatine - like "oh, good! That whiny b*tch won't be bothering us anymore!"

- I didn't even think about Kenobi picking up Anakin's sabre at the end as being a tie-in for ANH when he gives it to Luke and says "your father wanted you to have this" - I was only thinking that he picked it up to prevent Anakin from force-pulling it to himself again.

- It seems clear to me that Sidious was Plagueis' apprentice. I also think Sidious caused Anakin to be born (actually I thought this back in Phantom Menace, and now the information Palpatine says here in this scene confirms it for me).

- Okay, I know the Emperor was really evil in the OT, but he is SOOOOO EVIL in RotS it's even scarier. His manipulation of Anakin is truly frightening. Heck, his manipulation of everything is. But I still love that red velvet cloak he wears :p The whole order 66 and the clones being at the beck of the Emperor (not that there was ever any doubt about that) was chilling. Did the whole "who was Sifo-Dyas?" debate ever get finall

7. Azeria_Jade

Azeria_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2001
    Well I for one really enjoyed the movie and I must say, I have never cried so much.

The tears started when the "brum bum!" of the 20th Fox logo began. I could help but think, "This is it! The last time I'll see a Star Wars movie for the first time!" 'Cause really, there is nothing like seeing a movie for the first time.

The Good

* Yoda - He's kicking butt again in this movie! Something I have to say I was a fan of in AOTC. We also got to see some of his Yoda-wisdom and power that makes him one of the greatest Jedi in history. Yoda is definately a great character and this film has just made him greater. From sage advice to his honor.

* Chewbacca - Cool! A cameo! (Also thought his little piggy back ride to Yoda was cute)

* Hayden's Acting - Much improved from AOTC. He's not so green anymore and I must say he has a lethal creepy stare that rivals Jake Gyllenhaal! (Ten points to whomever gets that reference)

* Music - Though there's some reused music John Williams has concocted some of his best work yet. The music that's going on while Anakin and Padme have their last encounter is breathtaking. And whoever is playing French Horn! Wow! That one solo were they came in on the high G! Wow!

* Visuals - What Lucas lacks in dialouge he makes up in visual placement and look. 'nuff said.

* Ian Mcdiarmid - This old boy here really stole the show. What a great actor, he was so purely evil you could practically feel it eminating from the screen!

* Anakin's transformation - What can I say, when he's lying there on the ground I could barely see the screen through my tears.

* Tarkin cameo! - Cameos = Good!

The Not-So-Good

* Anakin and Padme's love scenes - Um... Embaressingly lame? Especially that one that was basically: "I love you!" "Well, I love you more!" "Tee hee!"

* Dialouge - Certainly not Lucas' specialty to be sure. His coaching on delivery ain't that good either. I know Natalie Portman is a better actress then that.

* "NOOOOOOOO!" *shaking fists* - That really sucked.

All-in-All

That was one fan-freakin'-tastic movie! Many repeat viewings to come to be sure! I think since this movie is awesome (good job, George!).

<my two cents>

We should try to arrange a Fanforce repeat viewing. ;) Just a though.

</my two cents>

8. omar_r786

omar_r786 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2004
    Quite possibly the worst lines in any movie:

Anakin: "You're so beautiful"
    Padme: "Only because I'm so in love with you"
    Anakin: "No....it's only because...I'm so in love....with YOU!"

[face_plain]

9. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Uhhh, you'll have to tell me what/who Boga is. Was that the creature Obi-Wan was riding?

Yes.

Is Clone Wars season 2 even released in Canada yet?

Yeah. It was shown on my birthday. I let you guys know about that two months ago.

I liked the opening, with Obi-Wan and Anakin's flying sequence and rescuing Palpatine.

Likewise.

I also think Sidious caused Anakin to be born

That's how it was supposed to be.

We should try to arrange a Fanforce repeat viewing.

Well, I kinda wanted to do an opening night deal.

10. NinjaFox

NinjaFox Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    After I first finished watching it I was a bit disapointed in it, but now that i've had some time for it to sink in I would say it's my third favorite. (V, VI, III, IV, II, I)

-What I didn't like-
    Anakin and Padme's dialouge was horrible.
    Grevious's voice annoyed me as did Ian McDiarmid's protrayal of the emperor, am I the only one who thinks he over did it?
    That thing Obi Wan was riding on the Boga? That was lame.
    Oh and the single most horrible thing in the movie was Vader "no" Him yelling she was alive and the force shaking stuff was fine, the "no" ruined it.
    Oh yeah and Jar Jar didn't die... Oh well.

Besides those things it was great.

11. Ness

Ness Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2004
    it was excellent IMO.

the "No!!" was great and fit in well,the whole scene had
    this awesome classic 1930's horror movies vibe

and padme & anakin's dialouge is meant to be "corny"

12. Ness

Ness Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2004
    "The showings I saw on Friday night, the audiences were awful! Laughing loud and long at totally inappropriate scenes! (Anakin pledging himself to Sidious, Anakin about to kill the younglings. The hell?)"

where and when was this? :mad:

anyone else pissed at how murky the non-digital version of the movie was?

13. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    This was 7pm at Granville7 last Friday night, May 20, and SilverCity Riverport, 11:15pm showing on same night.

14. NinjaFox

NinjaFox Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    Some middle aged guy beside me kept laughing really loudly whenever R2 did something... It was quite annoying.

15. Yoda_Soda

Yoda_Soda Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2002
    "Hayden's Acting - Much improved from AOTC. He's not so green anymore and I must say he has a lethal creepy stare that rivals Jake Gyllenhaal! (Ten points to whomever gets that reference)"

I'm guessing Donnie Darko :D

That romance line up ^ top made everyone in the audience laugh. It was hilarious.

Although Grevious' character was weak, he was nevertheless really cool. I loved his little swing from outside the cockpit as well as the scraping the lightsabers on the ground trick. It was pretty menacing.

This was Palpatine's movie. His acting is just superb in the scene where he reveals himself to Anakin. He's just SO evil!

Wookies were kind of pointless to me. Luke should have told Chewbacca that he was visiting a jedi named Yoda in ESB. Chewbacca could've been like *rwar and tell Luke all the stories about Yoda riding on his back and how Luke would experience that soon too.

16. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Sorry to intrude, but just FYI, signups have now begun for the next WCRF Trivia Game!!!

Clickie

17. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    Ok, after finally seeing the film and having a few days to think about it, I can offer a few coherent thoughts.

My first impressions were: visually stunning, emotionally wrenching, and dramatically predictable. This last point, only for the fact that we knew where AotC ended and where the OT begins, so there was very little wriggle room for the story to develop in unexpected ways. I'm not saying anything terribly profound here, but it does take some of the edge off when we know all of the major plot points before the curtain rises. The other two prequel films had less restrictions on them, for example, Anakin didn't have to start off as a confident, but likable boy on Tatooine, or develop into a capable young warrior who still gets tongue-tied around the woman he loves. Whether you love the other two prequels or hate them, they did bring some dramatic uncertainty into play where this one did not... because it could not. But an inherent flaw is still a flaw.

Visually the Star Wars films seem to constantly out-do the previous episode. Just as the OT improved visually from beginning to end (watch the space battle in ANH vs RotJ, the improvements are striking) so do the prequels. It didn't hurt that this film had the most action of all of them, including several key lightsaber duels. And this was probably the most number of new planets we've been introduced to at once, although that might have been a bit much as I could hardly get a feel for each of them. I'm sure after the one hundredth viewing that won't be a problem.

Emotionally this episode rivals, and perhaps surpasses, RotJ. Going in, I was afraid that this film would get bogged down with too much serious emotional turmoil that I wouldn't enjoy it as much as the others. Fortunately we had Artoo's slapstick antics near the beginning to add some much needed humour. And of course we had the splashes of corny dialogue throughout the film; it just wouldn't be the same Star Wars fairy tale without it.

There were, of course, several scenes that had serious emotional effect. The two scenes that I connected with the most were the scenes where Obi-Wan and Padme were each convinced of Anakin's betrayal. These were the two people who believed in him and trusted him the most, and under the guise of loyalty, he betrayed them both completely. Anakin may have thought that what he was doing was for the benefit of Padme, but it was actually only for the benefit of himself. He didn't want to go through the pain of losing someone again, so he went ahead and betrayed the very person he was afraid of losing! Now that's some fancy rationalization. Obi-Wan was confronted with strong evidence of his friend's participation in the slaughter at the temple, yet he still had to see it for himself from the records to be convinced. And Padme, when she was told of this by Obi-Wan, decides to still protect Anakin by refusing to tell the Jedi master where his old apprentice is, and then decides to go and find him herself--while pregnant and having only See-Threepio along for protection. I'll give her points for guts, but not so much for brains. The duel was nicely handled. It didn't have the energy of the duel in TPM, but the emotion more than made up for it.

Anakin's fall wasn't as stirring for me. It was sad to see the naive young man being led around by Palpatine, but it was his own selfishness that did him in. During the scene where the utterly beaten Anakin is laying near the flowing lava, I remember thinking to myself, "C'mon Obi, finish him off," but of course he didn't. I wished he had.

Some other random notes:

- Obi-Wan picking up Anakin's saber before he leaves at the end. I'm not sure why I like this shot, but I do.

- The binary sunset at the end. Very nice, although I half expected Owen to send the infant Luke inside to clean some new droids right then.

- Chewbacca. I guess it was cool to include him, but he really didn't do much.

- Grievous. Looked cool, but I thought Dooku had more style.

- Palpatine. I love that swee

18. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Nice review!

The more I see this the more I'm loving Grievous. I like his coughing and his goofy laugh. He's certainly not very intimidating or scary, so he doesn't make a good villain, but he is a neat character.

And as always, I loooove the sound effects. Like Grievous' vehicle thingy, whatever that was, with the "ringggggggggg-ningggg-ningggg-ningggg-ningggg-ningggg!!!!!!!" noise of the spinning wheel. And Boga. Sort of musical sounding.

I agree with you Rudy on Mace's arrogance. And his intonation of "a Sith Lawwwd??" just cracks me up every time!

19. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    Yes Grievous is pretty neat, and they did actually give him some character. Unlike Maul who had the personality of a potted plant (but also looked cool).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.