main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Review Revenge of the Sith by SW Fan, First Time View

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Cypess, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Cypess

Cypess Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 31, 2015
    I wrote two replies to watching SW I, SW II and finally, I watched Revenge of the Sith last night. I am an old SW fan of the original films and have had a reawakening of my love for SW with The Force Awakens.

First, as a series of films, it works. How often do you look at a bad guy on screen and get to see how he came to be who he is? Three films devoted to the story of the Jedi and Anakin Skywalker says how important Darth Vader is to the entire series.

Now I understand what folks talk about and can appreciate the posts and comments. I guess underneath it all, the last film was a love story between Anakin and Padme. Her screen presence was much less than SW II, however, it was so sad to see the path Anakin took to try to stop his vision from coming to be. I keep thinking Anakin lived in a small world, he had Obi Wan, Padme and the Jedi Council, but no friends or people to sort things out with. Palpatine just took advantage of his vulnerability in the worst way. Makes me wonder what the latest Emperor is offering to Kylo. I can see Anakin's reasoning, but don't agree with it. The fact she dies when the Anakin she knew dies was a strong moment in cinema. IMHO Women tend to be wicked strong and I wonder if a woman was at all involved in the writing process. I would have thought she has two children, that's the ultimate reason for a woman to keep going, not to orphan her children, and to protect them from Darth Vader. I was troubled that their marriage was a secret (do I have that right?). Only Obi Wan knew the children are Anakin's. That's a lot of pressure on a young man. A lot of frustration to create as he loved her so, he had to endure not celebrating that love.

I was very troubled with Obi Wan leaving him at the edge of the lava lake. VERY upset to see what happens. He cut his legs and arm off during the leap! That's a fantastic achievement, but to watch him catch fire, burn, leave him there, a hopeless charred alive student, friend and Jedi is awful. I am surprised the film didn't get an R rating for the burn scene. It was horrible horrible to watch him suffer like that. Who is Obi Wan to be judge and jury at a moment like that? I realize it was him or me but isn't there some Jedi code to say, don't abandon one of us. I mean, it was the chance to pick him up before he caught fire and save him. He blew the chance to turn him back to the light with a show of mercy.Anakin did what he did out of love. I realize it's nuts to kill children and slaughter other Jedi. The film does a good job of giving a moral problem with Anakin's behavior. No normal person would to that to save Padme. You don't kill innocents for one life. Now that is me being judgemental!

So, do I understand that Darth thought Padme and the children both died? Did Darth understand they survived? Did he ask? I had trouble following right there. Did the Emperor know Padme was pregnant? I think Anakin hid that from him.
    I have trouble understanding how powerful Yoda is and where he came from. In this film, he is old maybe 850 years old or so? But where did he come from? What is his story? He is the only Jedi to repel dark force lightening. That was just cool how the Emperor came to look like such a demon. I struggle to think the little elf could have so much power.

I mostly am very sad for Anakin, that the all wise and experienced Jedi council instead of embracing him, started shutting him out and questioning his loyalty. If they can sense so much, why not take him out of the loop. He was vulnerable because of Padme and his powers. He could have been saved.

I thought Palpatine had a good point when he said it's fine to know the light and dark powers of the force. Taoist would say that without doubt. Don't shut off negative powers. And, I am guessing when Palpatine is describing how an apprentice murdered his master in his bed after learning how to regenerate life forms, it was him. Evil, evil, evil, but people are like this in the world.

I had trouble with the special effects. Too much screen effects for me. It was all well done and edited together, but it was staging and computer engineered designs. I know I don't use correct terms. The action was stronger from the start. Who cut Dooku's head off? That was in the first act already. So the light saber fights were fantastic and realistic. The duel between Anakin and Obi was fantastic until they got to fighing in the lava field. That was too much. But the actor playing Anakin looked like Luke Skywalker (Hamill) in his body and way he moved around. That was good casting.

I guess I take away it's a great tragedy. Anakin lost Padme after all. I wonder that he didn't turn on the Emperor at that moment his anger was so powerful. I wonder why he didn't feel tricked. Could Palpatine ever have saved her? Did Darth Vader learn to regnerate lifeforms? I never saw or heard that in any SW films. I could have missed that.

That's my two cents for now.

2. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Interesting analysis, Cypess. :) I'm surprised you were not fond of the special effects. I think they look fantastic, especially the space battle and have aged much better than AOTC. Plus, the worlds and environments were so creative in design that we will probably never see a SW film like that again especially with the "real" planets that Disney wants hammered. Oh well, different strokes I guess. :)

Also, Palpatine was the apprentice of Darth Plagueis The Wise.

Also, where do you rank the films now? :)

Sith_Smuggler likes this.
  3. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    Anakin never knew that his child was born, and doesn't even know he Leia is his until Return of the Jedi. He assumed both his kids and Padme died. Also I don't think Palpatine knew Padme was pregnant just that she and Anakin were married.

I agree, I think the casting for all the prequels was wonderful, especially Anakin and Obi-wan.

4. Cypess

Dec 31, 2015
    I liked Padme so much in the 2nd film. So a rank would be SW II, SWIII and SW I. The droid character was very original. General G? That was a driod? How did he become such a sophisticated presence? He seemed to be human in many ways. I thought he had a cancerous cough. His unique method of running away was unexpected. Not used to a droid that can think so fast. He had a will to survive.

DarthAnakin96 and Deliveranze like this.
  5. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    General Grievous. :) He's actually a cyborg. Half alien, half droid. His back story is interesting depending on if you follow the new or old canon. :) He's suppose to foreshadow what Anakin will become.

CIS Droid likes this.
  6. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016
    Interesting analysis! RotS is my favorite SW movie, so I am always interested to hear what people say about it regardless of their opinions.

DarthAnakin96 and Mr. Forest like this.
  7. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    ROTS Da GOAT SW film :)

earlchinna, Antpocalypse and jaex like this.
  8. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    I agree that ROTS has a lot of SE and I would have loved to see more realistic sets and locations so that the SE would work up to realism but overall, they were pretty great.

I think Padme's absence worked. The film had to be about more of Anakin and Obi Wan(It HAS to have that built up moment) but Padme had a strong presence here, more so emotionally than physically, which was perfect.

Obi-Wan had to leave him to die. He couldn't do the last strike on him. Plus, he was too far in the lava.

The long fight was quite spectacular. It was basically a long staged play, similar to shake spear and stage plays like that. But you have to admit, nothing in cinema have I seen such a long fight like this.

earlchinna likes this.
  9. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    been waiting for your review about RotS.... the special effects on Mustafar were over the top during the duel but I think that's what the point of it was. This is a duel SW fans have been waiting to see for so long and GL wanted to drive this home as this was the final duel in a SW movie ever(or so we thought). The magnitude of the duel and the stakes were as high as ever and so it was over the top, but rightfully so............. about Padme's death though, it's not made to make her look weak, I mean she did get choked out by Anakin-the love of her life- and she was going through a lot with their children she was carrying. About the death of her though, there is a theory that Palpatine took life from Padme and transferred it to Anakin to keep him alive via the force which explains Padme's sudden, unexpected death.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  10. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    Cypess Now that you have watched the prequels, do you agree that the battledroids are great?

earlchinna and Antpocalypse like this.
  11. Cypess

Dec 31, 2015
    Yes, the battle droids are great. The sequence of the crash land in the hangar on Dooku's ship was exciting. i was amazed at R2D2 and his survival instincts. That is the brainiest cutest droid. :)

DarthAnakin96 and CIS Droid like this.
  12. CloneForce99

CloneForce99 Jedi Knight

May 10, 2015
  13. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    I've never heard that theory before. Super interesting. I buy it. I dont have a problem with her losing the will to live, though.

I love reading reviews like this. I think fondly of my first viewing of ROTS. Nothing beats it. I seriously thought I might have a seizure during the opening. When their star fighters dive across the hull of that cruiser and join the battle...my God.

Okay I have to go watch it now. Might as well watch all six while I'm at it.

Sent from my brain using thumbs.

Deliveranze likes this.
  14. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015
    [​IMG]

Im glad you like the battledroids :)

15. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016

Actually, CIS Droid the concept of the droids itself is very interesting approach in PT. The Republic and the Galactic in general are so advanced that use droid, not people to fight. Is less unethical, I would say. But after that they start to use clone troopers who are alive, real creatures. And un the Empire's time is worse: they use real humans as soldiers. I would say the period of the droids is the more civilized.

CIS Droid likes this.
  16. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015
    Agreed, battledroids really are nice to be fighting instead of people so innocent civilians wont have to die participating in a war

Tonyg likes this.
  17. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    And so that Lucas could have Jedi slicing off limbs and being overall bad***es without having the whole PT being rated R. :p

DarthAnakin96 and CIS Droid like this.