main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Reviews] How do you decide what games to buy?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by zacparis, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah I've never really been a game renter. I mainly rely on demos or YouTube videos, which was what convinced me to buy Rise of the Argonauts, being impressed with the combat in the videos.

I also used to use EB Games who have a 7 day money back guarantee, but their ridiculous overpricing and crappy customer service got too much, so I now avoid them... mostly. :p

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I shop at EB Games when they have their 3 for 100 and 2 for 50 clearance sales. Otherwise I avoid their overpriced stores and just take their catalogues since they provide a nice summary of what's coming out in the near future. :p

3. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    EB is about the only place near me that actually sells games used, and i find that's how i buy nearly all of my games now...

About a year after they come out, for over 50% off the original price..(though i do know that this is really how places like EB make their money)

Their customer service is pretty lousy, though. They don't seem to know much about any game that isn't a HOT SELLER, and they're hiring practices are a bit annoying...

4. Master_Rhodes

Master_Rhodes Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2009
    I purchase games based on what I like. 'tis why I buy SW, Pokemon, and Motorstorm games...

5. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I usually go by what I see is coming out in the future, and wait for it's review on Gamespot.

I typically find out about a game coming out on these boards, that starts the hype.

Gamespot heavily affects what games I buy, as games tend to be so hit and miss with developers cashing in on a big name to get a game out quick.

6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I find reviews from big name websites like IGN or Gamespot or Game Informer or whatever to be worthless. They tend to focus on the things I don't care about as much (graphics, online multiplayer) and less on the things that are actually important to me (story, gameplay, replayability). I usually look and see what the general consensus from fans is before I bother with a game that I'm on the fence with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.