Reviews system in PHP

Discussion in 'Fan Sites' started by DarkWoman, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkWoman Jedi Master

star 4
    I've been looking for a good reviews script in PHP (may use MySQL database) for books, games or those types of things featuring these:

. User Accounts - so only the admin selected reviewers can post 'oficial' reviews
    . The possibility for regular users to comment on the reviews posted by the review crew

And if possible (unecessary, but would be nice to have ^^; ):
    . user account with possibility of having an avatar
    . Star Rating system
    . Listing of all reviews by some order (date, type, alphabetical, or anything)

I've looked over the HotScripts site, but can't find a free one that has those characteristics.

I'm thinking of making one, but my experience with PHP so far is too limited for that and I'm low on spare time 'til Summer, so... does anyone know anything that may help?

Thanks. :)
  2. malducin Jedi Master

star 4
    You probably looked only into the review scripts, which are mainly just for simple product reviews. From your requirements you need more a content management system or a portal system, which are usually used to post news but you can easily use them for reviews as well. Most contain most or all of your requirements:

PHP Portal Systems
    PHP Content Management Systems

It's a good idea to doublecross on Sourceforge to see if they are actively mantained and/or have more than one developers. Or in hotscripts.com in the PHP section soe of the "most popular" scripts are the portal ones. Portals usually provide you with admin accounts, user accounts for a comment system (ala Slashdot), etc.

I personally use phpWebsite, though I disabled some of the features you mentioned to suit my needs. But as you can see there are a lot of free options out there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.