[Revised] 32,000 Fans Attend CV - Per Steve Sansweet

Discussion in 'FanForce: Star Wars Celebration Anaheim' started by JediJustin, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FRAGGLE_ROCKER Jedi Knight

star 1

It?s no shock that the numbers are lower for this round ? in addition to the economy, the late announcement and a less-than-inspiring locale, August is smack dab in the middle of convention season ? most notably in that CV was bracketed by the biggest cons of all: San Diego Comic-Con in July and Atlanta?s Dragon*Con coming up on Labor Day weekend. Both are huge draws for much of the same audience, and we even had a Jader or two choose D*C over CV.

Really, between all that, 28,000 doesn?t look all that shabby!

Plus it's been five years since the prequel trilogy ended, and the films are the most popular aspect of SW for those who just aren't dedicated.
  2. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, they weren't a good friend of mine at the time I booked a hotel. Just someone I'd met at CIV that had stayed in contact a bit on facebook. Though I stand by the claim that the shuttles/bus system stopped ridiculously early.
  3. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    Just a point over this argument, does it actually matter what the actual 'facts' are? What matters in terms of whether people were turned off of going to Orlando is the general impression of what the weather would be like and how that would impact on what is around the CC.

And like it or not, the perception of what the weather would be like is likely a factor. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be going in, but there was no way I was going between the CC and my hotel in the middle of the day unless by vehicle after experiencing it. For many of us the weather wasn't going to stop us, but it would have been one of the factors that influenced others given other reasons to impede them in going (like the current economic climate in the US and Europe).
  4. MattDoc Jedi Knight

star 3
    Jeez Dingo, why'd you have to go and bring reason to this argument? [face_dancing]
  5. Darth-Dogfish-Head Force Ghost

star 4
    I had a brief conversation with the guys from Forcecast towards the end of the day Sunday in the autograph hall. I'm sure they had this same conversation with just about everyone they chatted with, but they asked if it was my first Celebration, which it was. "And you'll never miss another one, will you?" And it was so true, from here on out, as long as I can work it out financially I will attend all future Celebrations that are held in the states. So for all of us in that boat I don't think location is much of an issue.

That being said, I did a lot of research into the Indy Celebration and didn't go because of location (I'm in the Boston area). California didn't work for the same reason, distance. When they announced Orlando I knew I had to go, less than a 3 hour flight and a location I knew very well. I'm sure there were a lot of people on the other side of the country who didn't make it out to Orlando this year for the same reasons I skipped out on Indy and Cali.

Of course the moral of the story is....it's four days of nothing but Star Wars, just go, wherever it's held!
  6. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Similar story here. This was my first Celebration partly because the locations of the others just didn't work for me. Orlando was the first one on the east coast(besides that, I've been to Orlando tons of times) and I knew I had to go. Now that my first experience is over, it's definitely a no-brainer about future Celebrations. I will be there as long as I can afford to go. Bring it on! [face_peace]
  7. jawajames FF Pacific RSA President/Chapter Rep San Diego, CA

Manager
    star 6
    exactly. i was apparently too close to the convention center and not close to any cool places to eat. on one side where my friends were staying, there was a denny's, and a red lobster, and a mcdonalds and an IHOP. after seeing how sucky the options were on that side, i figure'd they were just as sucky on my side.

people who stayed farther out could actually know what was out there because they could see it on the shuttle.
  8. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    I just kept ending up at Denny's at night because we couldn't find any other open option.
  9. jhc36 Force Ghost

star 4
    We never had a car. We flew in...took a cab to the hotel and walked everywhere...and we stayed at the Hampton Inn...which was just over a mile away. There were plenty of restaurants around, but I do agree that after about 9pm (when we left the con) there wasn't much open for dinner...but we still found something.
  10. MattDoc Jedi Knight

star 3
    Aw man, you should have come to the north side of i-drive. Tons of good places. The unofficial Rebelscum Wednesday night gathering was at Millers Ale House. Nice big place with decent food and lots of beers to choose from. Great place. But that was just one of many good places.
  11. Jada Chapter Rep Charlotte, NC

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I know for a lot of folks who are in costume Orlando in August just turned them off. I didn't bring my Tusken female because there was no way I was wearing the shawl part over my head even in the convention center. If you want to know what that is like go throw a blanket on top of your head and walk around for awhile. ;)

The convention center itself was fantastic. I loved the hallways, the concessions were reasonable (thanks for the 20% off!) and it was good to see friends (although I never did run into Strife and Maulie :( )
  12. JediJustin Jedi Master

star 4
    Great point - totally forgot about that!
  13. Maulfly Moderator Emeritus

star 7
    I know! :(

I had actually run across someone else dressed up as Yarna, but it wasn't you. It wasn't until near the end of the con I thought of trying your cell number and see if you'd answer. Then was promptly distracted by something I wanted to take a picture of. :p
  14. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    Hmm, according to Google, that's at the same intersection my hotel was at.

And well, one of the days involved hitting up 2 places before finally finding one that was still open. I'm a later eater.
  15. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    I saw plenty of places to eat and look at. I came early and took the trolley up and down International Drive. That trolley pass was well worth it. But I wasn't really looking for anything special. I never made it to the Harry Potter attraction - decided that whenever I go it will be during the cooler months of the year.

I can't blame Orlando for the humidity, but I CAN blame them for their YUKKY WATER! PH-TOOOIEE!! [face_sick]

The problem with August is the competition from DragonCon and ComiCon. People decide a year in advance to go to those and that does not leave much room for a Celebration, especially with a lousy economy. I hope that 28,000 was enough and that Reed Entertainment didn't go in the hole because they really did a good job on this one.

16. MrZAP Force Ghost

star 5
    I honestly don't mind it being in August. I do mind it being in Orlando. Or just in Florida. Orpretty muich anywhere else that is too hot (this includes my home city of L.A.). I still want to have it be in Chicago. January in Chicago would be nice. For me, at least, tundra monster that I am.:p
  17. dante144 Force Ghost

star 1
    August is really the worst month to be in Orlando. Do it in may in Orlando and the weather is much more mild. Normal, even.

I would love for it to be in Orlando again.
  18. jonboy Jedi Grand Master

Orlando was perfect venue .. coming from the UK where summer lasts for about two weeks get over yourselves guys with this is too warm rubbish!! lol .. sure it was hot !! if i had got there and it had been freezing i would have felt cheated!! CV had the perfect location KEEP IT THERE!!! great hotels all the staff were fantastic Disney/Epcot/NASA it was a holiday dream vocation!! oh but dump FROGGY they were usless sure the pix turned out fine in the end but getting them!! OH MY they had no idea on the first dat WHAT THEY WERE DOING!! what times carrie .. eh oh not sure eh say 5ish? these are what Reed/Lucasfilm call a top notch company? very shabby at times had my money refunded a couple of times because of no shows etc anyway im going off the point ORLANDO WAS TOPS!! LOL[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [:D] [:D]
  19. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    I think 28K is pretty good given the circumstances. Mainly, the recession really has cut into travel and expendable income, I mean when you think about the last Celebration in 2007, the recession was JUST beginning, it was still looking pretty rosy overall, but it had just started a minor downturn. Everything went to hell in a handbasket after that, haha. It does prove that Los Angeles was a lot better location to hold the event, though, I think the OP is right about that. Sorry Orlando defenders, that city SUCKS. I actually just ate crow after that whole experience because I last went to Orlando when I was like 8, so I didn't remember how awful the humidity was. My friend's girlfriend Jen, who went with us to Orlando (my friend Erik, Jen is his girlfriend), had long told me when I complained about Oregon's lousy rainy weather, "Florida is worse!" I said no no, you're crazy, sure they have hurricanes but it's sunny and warm! It's way better than rainy, cloudy, miserable Oregon (my home state). After spending just 5 days in Orlando, I told her, ok you're right, yeah, I'd rather it be 50 and rainy than 95 and humid. It was 100 this week in Los Angeles, but it was STILL nice because there was a tiny breeze and there is never any humidity on the West Coast. The East Coast in general is absolutely miserable, I don't understand why anyone lives there except that maybe they just don't know any better.

I'm really hoping CVI is maybe in Indy, not because Indy is so great, but I did really enjoy it for CII and CIII and if it's between Indy and Orlando, god, anything but Orlando. I don't want to go back to that miserable climate ever again if I can help it. Truly, that is the best the East Coast has to offer, that is their warm weather state. That's just sad. And yes, the weather does matter, because even just that small 10 minute walk to and from the convention center in that horrible humidity made it undesirable and left a mark. The hours spend outside at Last Tour to Endor were even more miserable and that was after the sun went down. Why you'd hold an event in the middle of August in Florida, I have no idea. It's just a horrible place to be. It's like if they held it in Vegas in August, I'd be equally annoyed, it's a miserable horrible 120 degree desert during that time. It's great in March, but not in August. I'm not sure if Florida is ever good, but it certainly isn't in August.

PS: Could this forum be any slower to load? I don't think so. I feel like I'm using a 28.8 modem back in 1997. It's brutal.
  20. FRAGGLE_ROCKER Jedi Knight

star 1
    I haven't had any loading problems.
  21. dante144 Force Ghost

star 1
    August is the worst month for Orlando. In May the weather is much more tolerable. Come on guys, it is The Sunshine State.

ORLANDO RAWKS!

Oh, also...August is in the middle of Hurricane Season! Worst month to have events there! But even though, it was pretty awesome.
  22. KissinDigital Jedi Knight

star 1
    Some of these posts make me wanna hug my city and tell them that the person's just cranky and didn't mean it.

Srsly I feel like some of you guys are kicking Orlando's puppy and insulting its mother. "Anywhere but Orlando" hurts man. Real deep.
  23. Kyle Katarn Chosen One

star 6
    Orlando wasn't too bad for me. I'm from Iowa and our summer weather is pretty similar to what we experienced in Orlando, so I already knew about drinking water, not overexerting oneself, etc. Thing is, a lot of people don't take this int consideration or simply don't know their limits when it comes to that weather, so I would strongly advise a spring event and preferably somewhere a bit further north as it is much easier for people to warm up than it is to cool down.
  24. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah...the ONLY real problem with Orlando is the heat. And that can be solved by having C6 in April or May again.

But I guess I'm just used to the heat...everyone laughed at me at C3 when I bundled up in a hat, gloves and a scarf to walk a block outside!
  25. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I hate heat and humidity, but I didn't mind Orlando. And it was so much butter than LA, here at least you could find a place to eat and the hotels were actually walking distance. I just made sure to always carry a water bottle and to cover myself up if I had to be outside.

I wouldn't mind coming back to Orlando, but I would of course prefer it to be in another time of the year.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.