Revival of the Fan Art Forum

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ADONIAH32, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. ADONIAH32 Jedi Master

star 4
    Watch it, Rox, you're getting a little agressive towards me there. And I never said you weren't qualified...read my post this time.

And secondly, why would you be shooting THIS idea down when you claim you are the moderator. Any "artist" would WANT feeback...no matter who it's from. The most unartistic person can have an uncanny eye for it. Albert Einstein flunked math, but is probably the greatest mind ever to live. See what I am saying?

If people had told Einstein he was nothing, he probably wouldn't have advanced in his studies. But people didn't...that is what I am trying to do. I think we've isolated ourselves from everyone else by creaing our own little "artist's club". We need to do something to show that we want others there too.
  2. Vertical Former Head Admin

star 6
    How about this (mind you, this is just my toying with an idea which has not been discussed anywhere else... I'm just throwing it out there):

What if we combine FanArt with more heavily visited forum, such as Fan Fiction? The entire forum could easily be renamed something along the lines of "Fan Creative Works" or "Fan Fiction/Art"... With a larger number of visitors to the forum, more people are likely to see the art and comment on it.

I don't think it's a problem of no one's being interested in Fan Art... I know I like looking at it, but I hardly ever stop by the forum... not because I'm not interested, though, just because it's not on my normal 'route' of perusing these forums. If there were Fan Art threads in the AOTC forum, I'd check them out every day, absolutely.

So perhaps a possible solution is simply making the threads and artwork more 'visible' by placing them in a more visited forum?

And/or perhaps even a "Fan Art" dedicated thread in AOTC/TPM/OT, which could be updated any time a new piece of art was added to the Fan Art forum?

Thoughts?

Vertical
  3. ADONIAH32 Jedi Master

star 4
    Mmmm...I like the idea...a lot. By combining Fan Art and Fan Fiction (both of which I visit daily), both forums would benefit. More people would be willing to post in Fan Art related threads, and likewise for Fan Fiction. I see potential for this combination. I am sure many would object, but I personally like the idea.

I also think the idea of seperate threads in those main forum is an excellent idea. By updating them and providing a link to Fan Art, we could get quite a few more visitors. This idea could go places. I think this could work.
  4. Jayk-Moonstray Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey guys, I'm gonna give a testimonial about why I enjoy this Forum (no money exchanged places, mind you).

Simply, I enjoy this forum because of the drawings and computer-made pics. It also helps with my newfound computer-artistry. It's the most fair Gallery on the Net, and I love it.
  5. Melyanna Jedi Master

star 4
    No.

Combining fan fiction and fan art would most likely kill fan art entirely - as it is, the fan fiction stories board moves very quickly, and art would most likely get buried.

On top of that, we're just now getting the stories board to the point where we don't have a whole bunch of people posting non-stories stuff there. People are finally learning that we have the writers' resource board, and changing the rules would likely cause chaos again.

I know I'm a little biased because I'm a fanfic regular, but this would just be a bad idea in my opinion. It would be detrimental to both boards.

Why not combine fan art and fan films? There are more similarities there (or at least I think there are) and fan films doesn't move nearly as quickly as fan fiction. Art and films would probably be a better combination.

And who says the board needs to be changed at all? The problem isn't the moderation at all. The problem is that there's apparently a smaller community of artists out there. If you really want that community to grow, tell your friends about it. Don't complain about leadership.

Mel
  6. ADONIAH32 Jedi Master

star 4
    I realize that there is a smaller community of artists...but that doesn't mean we have to isolate ourselves. The problem, in my opinion, is that we have isolated ourselves (and no one knows we're there) so that people don't even visit anymore. I think that by starting Fan Art discussion threads in other big forums, we can attract more attention.

I do like the idea of a possible merger, however, as it might benefit both boards. I am sure many of us in fan art visit fan films frequently (or at least I do). A merger with them might indeed bring many positive effects. But something has to be done...fan art is more dead than Jango Fett is (and he's pretty dead). I think merger/discussions are good ideas that can be arranged.
  7. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I have to disagree with your idea Vert, I think that the FanArtist's will get lost in FanFiction. FanArt and teh 3D forum maybe since they both have to do with art of some form or another. I just don't feel that any of the Fan Artist's work would get noticed in Fan Fiction. Mind you I don't venture into Fan Fiction all to much but they probably get atleast 100 posts a day and our threads would get lost in the shuffle. Like someone up the page said tell a friend, don't just sit there and complain about it. I don't know how much this helps but do as I did and add a link to your signature asking people to support the forum. If everybody that's posting there regularly get's in on it I'm sure we'd get some kind of response.
  8. Vertical Former Head Admin

star 6
    Well, what about the idea of 'notification' threads in other forums, with links to new work in FanArt?

Vertical
  9. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Notification would work, but i disagree with combinging Fan Art and SciFi3D as ebcause SciFi3D (i think) was promised that board when they were hosted by TFN, and there's actually little critiquing in the board, it's mostly techniques and tutorials

¤Night
  10. jedi-mind-trick VIP

star 5
    I agree with Melyana and Rox - Art would be completely buried if combined with Fiction.

Well, what about the idea of 'notification' threads in other forums, with links to new work in FanArt?

Now that is an interesting idea....perhaps Rox could choose a couple of pieces to showcase every week and post links in the notification threads? Perhaps something like this could help stir up activity/interest in both artists and visitors?

I noticed this morning that a social thread has been created in the Art forum...I think that is terrific. I wonder, however, if a few "Tips and Tricks (One for Photoshop and perhaps one for PSP?)" threads might help stir up activity (If on already exists, ignore me....I just didn't see it there)? Perhaps in these threads, artists could ask questions, share tips, and post links to program resources (tubes, fonts, brushes, actions, etc.)?
  11. ADONIAH32 Jedi Master

star 4
    jedi-mind-trick: I like the idea of tutorial threads. FanFilms has them, so why can't/shouldn't we? That would be a great idae for maybe some people who want to get involved.

I also think notification threads are an ingenious idea. If we could notify the other big forums of some artwork every month, we would definately get noticed. I'll add a link to my signature as well.
  12. TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey there. I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents, at least another perspective from one of those regulars in the Fan Art Forum. First of all Adoniah32, I'm impressed with your passion, and that you are actually trying to do something about increasing awareness for us little Fan Artists! But honestly, before I heard of this thread, I didn't realize we needed a Revival! :) I, personally, am the type of artist who creates something more for the joy of drawing or painting than for the response it receives. It's fun to share and to get comments from the folks in there, but never in a million years would I demand more posts or feel slighted because I didn't get x number of comments. Sure I'd love it if more people dropped by, but on the other hand I really like getting to know the smaller group of regulars there. We would get swallowed up and die if we were combined with Fan Fiction or another larger Forum.

I'm curious what this notification system would be about? Can someone explain that to me?

Thanks everyone for trying to figure something out!
    ~Baroness
  13. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Maybe Fan Art would have a place in the new Fine Arts Forum where people could share their artistic abilities, from art to music, literature to video clips of acting if they so desired.

Hm?
  14. ADONIAH32 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, the more I think about it, I would like to keep Fan Art in its own forum, but I love the idea of notification threads. I do think, and agree with with Lord Bane, that the Fine Arts forum could accomodate some of these notification threads as well. I don't know if once a month is enough, however.

Maybe whenever something good is posted a notification is placed in the appropriate forum? I am just throwing our random ideas here. And it's not that i want more posts for the forum or that I need more glory, it's just I want our work to be recognized more. We already know most everyone who posts in the Fan Art forum. It would be nice to meet somebody new and to hear their opinion. There is nothing more refreshing that a different point of view, wouldn't you agree, yes?
  15. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    The idea of highlighting certain Fan Artists is a possibility, I still don't think we need more people posting in the FA forum. It's not like FA is Community or PSA. There just aren't alot of FAer's out there. I really like the idea of tutorial threads, if done right we could turn those threads into a great resource. This is something we should post in the FA forum for all to see.

Another idea could be contests. Here's how it could work. We start with an idea, whether it be design an original character or creating a wallpaper. We set a deadline to finish and after everone is done we crown the best.
  16. ADONIAH32 Jedi Master

star 4
    Contests are a good idea...and would definately get people to participate. It would be a good way to get the artists, and perhaps some undiscovered artists, to paticipate more actively.

I do still, however, favor the idea of notification threads, as they would allow people who normally DON'T visit the forum to come and at least see what we do.
  17. ADONIAH32 Jedi Master

star 4
    Bump.

I refuse to let this topic be buried with the rest. We need more opinions...even if you aren't from fan art.
  18. TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Master

star 4
    I really like the idea of contests, or not even competitions, but sort of idea threads, kinda like the current Original Character thread. Make up a challenge and a deadline, and see what people come up with. My only reservation about it being a "competition" is that the folks in Fan Art are of wildly different skill levels, and I wouldn't want less experienced (or less formally trained) folks to feel intimidated and afraid of participating...

For whatever that was worth,
    ~Baroness
  19. ADONIAH32 Jedi Master

star 4
    And there we go...that is the what the bottom line is. I think people feel intimidated by posting in the Fan Art forum. And I am sure it's because they see all the artwork we do in there and probably think that they couldn't do anything near that level. That's our problem, now that I think about it. I think people are intimidated by the work we do. They feel like "why bother posting if I don't have the talent"

I think contests would be a great idea. I also still like the idea of notification threads, especially now that Episode III media will take a gain. I believe we'll be seeing more Episode III artwork, and this could draw people into discussion in Fan Art...and we could do that through notfication threads (which I will just call NTs for names sake). I think NTs would be a great way to get outsiders more comfortable with Fan Art, and then maybe they wouldn't be intimidated to enter and post in the forum.

I mean, if you looked at today, posting was pathetic. Something has to be done. To me its depressing that no one is comfortable posting in there EXCEPT us...us being the group of artisits already established in there.
  20. Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 4
    I think it has a lot to do with the talent issue, I know nothing about art, so what should I say for feedback? "Pretty"? I can't exactly be like "I like the shading, but you need to dap the eraser around the eyes a bit. Are you using Photoshop 5.5 or 6?" I'm a photographer, so I know how to enjoy a visual image, but I can't critique a drawing or a cgi picture because I know so little about either.

So, for me (I guess I can't speak for other lurkers) it's just a problem with being intimadated by the artists.

21. ADONIAH32 Jedi Master

star 4
    So that IS the problem! It's all about intimidation. See, correct me if I am wrong, but it is kind of our fault. We never have really faced this kind of issue before, where we have created our own little community. You said you were a photographer...therefore you DO know about art, just in a different sense. You can still say that "you should try to make this brighter". Photographers know about that.

I will bet that 80% or more of the users here could positively comment on something in the Fan Art forum. But the reason they don't is beacuse of the fear of not knowing anything about. Ugh...always the fear of the unknown. That's why we need to do something about it. We need to start contests or NTs or something because our popularity is dwindling (if we ever had popularity). Thanks for telling me that, however. I think that pretty much narrows down the problem.
  22. Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 4
    *looks at photoshop icon, cringes in fear*

My brother knows photoshop, but I can't seem to figure it out. Too many buttons, you see.

I'm trying, though, and someday I shall put my pics up on the internet.

Now that I think about it, I've never seen photographs on the fan art board ...
  23. ADONIAH32 Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't know if we've had photography on the board before, but why not participate? You obviously have a knowledge of depth, color balance, brightness and contrast. That would definately contribute to the discussion.

See this is what I mean. Most people think "well, I don't DRAW/PAINT/KNOW PHOTOSHOP, therefore I wont post". Agh! That's the wrong attitude to have. People should give it a try...because it really is fun viewing other works and giving suggestions. That is why we need to do something to improve the situation.
  24. Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 4
    Very well, I shalt use my glorious knowledge to add depth to the Fan Art board ;)
  25. ADONIAH32 Jedi Master

star 4
    What about other people? I need to find out the cause of people not posting.

So far it seems to me that we have created a little community in which only a privledged few get to join. In other words, everyone except the artists feel uncomfortable posting there.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.