main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Revived Discussion Thread: Darth Vader vs. Obi Wan Kenobi: Who Would have won? Part X20

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthSithLord, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSithLord

DarthSithLord Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2001
    Okay, this has been debated, and debated, and debated, and many people have different anwsers, but I have choosen to revive the thread, to help bring a sense of life back to this forum lol. If its locked, which I hope its not, then so be it. Anyway DISCUSS!

Anyway to the point.

What if Obi Wan didn't give up his life to Darth Vader on the Death Star. Who would have won the duel?If ayou give your opinion, plz go into broad detail and explain your anwser.

My dibbs would be on Vader still, primary reason is, Hes got back up, and would have used it if he needed it. Secondary is, he looks like he was over powering Obi Wan obviously, His weapon was in better use, and he has probally more in practice, considering he kills the Jedi Order, through out the 20 years of his Time as Suited Vader. Last Reason: Vader seemed to hardly be trying on Obi Wan.

I say Vader would win.

I also have to say the ANH Duel is alittle bit more attractive to look at than it has ever been before.

2. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    In their duel, Obi-1 let Vader beat him. I think had they fought on, Vader would have overcome Obi-1 anyway. Unless Obi-1 escaped with Han, Luke, and Leia, he wouldn't have survived.

3. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    Vader would have won regardless, but Obi-Wan was not planning to escape. There was no reason for him to, he had nothing to do after the Princess was rescued.

Oh, the ANH DVD lightsaber battle makes me mad when I watch it, every time the lightsabers clash there is this greenish light that appears. WTF? Why did they put that into the DVD?

4. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    "Your powers are weak old man"

Darth Vader easily

- O_F

5. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    I think that Vader would have won out eventually. Although both are far from what they were, Obi Wan's been stuck on Tatooine and Vader has lost most of his body and lives in a suit. However I am sure both have sharpened their skills, working and meditating every day.

Vader would have won because of his hatred for his former master still burned, I think Ben was tired, he had started Luke off with the means to become a Jedi, his job was done. Wheres Vader felt he had a lot more going for him.

I'm not sure if any of this made any sense but it's what I think :)

6. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    Vader, being an avid user of Form V, had tremendous offensive power as a lightsaber duelist.
    Obi-Wan, being an avid user of Form III, had great defensive capabilities.
    Despite that fact, Vader would have eventually cut him down...either that or the stormtroopers would've gotten tired of waiting and shot Obi-Wan in the middle of the duel.

7. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    Would Vader allow the stormtroopers to shoot Obi Wan. Vader made it pretty clear that he wanted to face Obi Wan that one last time.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I think if Obi-wan REALLY wanted to escape, he would have escaped.

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    All right. I'm reposting this from the most recent Jedi Draft. This is if Vader and Obi-Wan fought on even ground in their primes. Though they weren't really in their primes in ANH, I think this explains pretty well what I think about how an evenly matched fight such as the one in ANH might go. Here are my ponderings/arguments on this subject:

Well, this is one of those places where it's kind of applicable to say 'we've seen this one before' but it is also kind of not applicable. The thing is, Kenobi obviously wasn't trying to win in ANH. Besides, neither were in their prime in ANH either. However, as I've clearly stated already in this draft, Kenobi was more powerful than Vader at this point.

Protest all you want, but it's in black and white from GL in the annotated screenplays- Kenobi was at Force level 6 and Vader was at Force level 4. That's why Vader wasn't able to use telekenisis. This is what GL said, and it coincides still with his idea that Anakin lost power when he lost parts of his body and became Vader.

So that duel I believe Kenobi could have won if he'd wanted to. That obviously wasn't his plan for various reasons that I won't go into right now. The question it brings up, though, is how powerful then is Vader, really? We have yet to see in any admitted film/lit anything that says there was ever Vader without the suit. Vader's prime is during the Jedi Purge.

But Kenobi was never purged. In fact, he was one of only two Jedi, the other being Yoda of course, who was not purged. This, in conjunction with the fact laid out earlier that by ANH Kenobi was stronger than Vader, makes this a much more interesting matchup. Now, we all know that Vader COMES FROM the most powerful Force user ever, but GL has clearly stated that he's lost a lot of Anakin's power. He's obviously very good

Another thing is, even if you are not convinced that Kenobi is more powerful (which can be blurry since judging primes for these two is tough right now), there's still something else- he is tougher. Physically, Vader is obviously bigger, but there's practically no one tougher than Kenobi. In a battle like this which would probably go on for a while, this becomes a factor as well as the normal considerations.

Both of these guys are very skilled, but in different ways. Vader's style is more impressive to the observer because it's completely overbearing. The times we've actually *seen* him fight in the OT show that he is very good at overpowering his opponents... oh, except he wasn't getting anywhere with Kenobi in ANH, was he? And it can be fairly well assumed that Vader's physical condition and restraints haven't changed much in the last 20 years, since he has machinery to power himself. Kenobi, however, is nearly 60 at this point, has been rotting away in the desert, and has a slight limp. Yet Vader still never gets close to touching Kenobi until Obi-Wan goes all sepuku on us. Now take him back to actually being in his prime, fighting the Clone Wars and still being an expert at his defensive, impenetrable style.

Am I saying Kenobi takes all the edges? Absolutely not. I really don't think there's a clean-cut way to judge this one. It's based far too much on actual matchups and all we've seen in the films. It has to be judged on a whole. In my professional (oh, fine, amateur sad ) opinion, this would be a *really* long and exhausting battle. In the end, it has to go to the man who's current prime takes the edge over the machine-man's prime.

Kenobi in 2005!

-sj loves kevin spacey

10. Brobu

Brobu Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2002
    Kenobi. He is the only Jedi, except maybe Yoda, who has an internal unity of wisdom and skill that results in an individual who is far more powerful than the sum of his parts.

11. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Judging by the way 850-year-old Yoda fights in AOTC, and 80(?) year old Dooku, for that matter, I don't think that Obi-Wan's not-so-hot physical condition would have hampered him any. He can even get around without a cane, unlike certain little green kickers of Sith boo-tay. (Ooh, Booté--the PG-13 version handmaiden)

Obi-Wan looks kinda rusty in ANH, and perhaps hasn't been practicing with his lightsaber all that much, but then, Vader hasn't been working on his duelling skills either. I mean, against who? Somehow, I can't see Sid stooping to being a sparring partner, if only because I don't think he'd trust Vader to point a lightsaber at him. (Always two there are--a Master, and a guy just waiting to slit his throat so he can be the Master.)

So while it doesn't look very likely on the surface, I'd have to say that from what we've seen in the PT, Obi-Wan probably would have won. The only evidence against it (which is kinda strong, admittedly), is: Why did he let Vader kill him in the first place if he could have zapped the guy? Why let the dude go gallavanting through the universe for 6 more years and going through the whole "Luke, go to Dagobah" thing if he could have taken care of the problem right there?

If you want to get all complicated about it, maybe he thought that if Vader was dead while Luke was untrained, Sid would seek him out and seduce him into being Vader II, and they'd all have been back where they started. (AU plot bunny for sale . . .) At least Vader's existence is preventing any job opportunities from opening up in the Sith heirarchy.

Honestly, I think you'd have to ask George. The real answer may be, In 2005: "Yeah, Kenobi would have mopped the floor with him. Old, limping Jedi can still be really, really tough." In 1977: "No way. Kenobi's this ancient dude who's been frying out in the sun for years. Vader would have creamed him."

Kinda like how Vader wasn't Luke's father . . . until he was.

Edit: Just had a thought--most of us would probably guess that Yoda could take out Vader, and Yoda and Obi-Wan *really* should have been able to do it together, but they senT Luke against him anyway.

Either A: There's some reason why only Luke can do the job

Or B: SW just doesn't actually make very much sense.

::Entire non-fanboy universe whispers:: "B!!"

NOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!1111!!

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I have some theories on those motivations. They're going to make for nice fic subject in the future. I don't necessarily think they're 'right', though ;)

For one thing, I ike to think that deep down inside of Obi-Wan, there's something that still believes Vader could be turned back, even if he'd never admit it. Besides, the whole thing is like Luke's trial.

And I just don't think Obi-Wan really wanted to fight Vader and beat his arse again. Too much on the poor man's conscience ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.