main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Revolt of the Muggles

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dark_Faith, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    Why...not? Reading Heir to the Empire recently, and learning about the so called ysalamiri; Well why after many million eons of life in the gffa has the planet of Myrkr very rarely been mentioned? Its bantha dung that only smugglers would hear word of it and be savvy enough to take advantage of it. This is a far more major concept than many people give it credit for. What is the explantion for why very few people (including jedi!) know of it...yet lowlives and outlaws are experts? Think about it for a few seconds. EU authors have missed a very interesting idea. What if, the non forcers of the galaxies population found a way to mass-produce these creatures, either thorugh dna cloning, breeding or the ol Ithorian migration of floura and fauna, and use this ysalamiri race to unleash a revolt, a revolution, a new rebellion....where muggles take up the flag and construct a war against the force users themselves and retake the galaxy from the ignorant and arrogant 'forcers' who destroy, ravage and screw up the wonderful galaxy, milenia after milenia, fighting each other over hokey religions with ancient weapons....

Now, can someone tell me, why this has been glossed over and never brought up? Or am I missing something?

Kreia should have visisted Myrkr, eh?

2. JediWampa

JediWampa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2000
    The only thing I can think of is that ysalamiri are hard to keep alive. Karrde had lived there for a while, and until Thrawn came and took some, he hadn't figured out how to keep the alive. He stole the nutrient-frame idea from Thrawn...

That said, Pellaeon knew about them, and presumably the Imp forces that were dispatched to Myrkr, so I'd have to agree that more folks after THAT point would have known about it, right up until the Vong showed up.

Before then, I could speculate that the Jedi may have taken steps to keep the planet from being public knowledge....them Jedi were sneaky, ya know....

3. Dark_Faith

Jan 30, 2004
    But still, thats no excuse now. In the Legacy era. Authors should take this into consideration for future stories.

4. JediWampa

JediWampa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2000
    I don't know. I don't think it said specifically, but I kinda got the feeling that the Vong really messed the place up. I'm not against stories there, btw. I think it would be a good place for Luke to take teenage Jedi and cut 'em loose so they can learn to do things WITHOUT the Force.

5. Alex30

Alex30 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2002
    Is the Dark Side users who destroy the Galaxy, not the Jedi.
    The Jedi don´t own the galaxy, so they aren´t need to retake it.
    The Ysalamiri won´t give nothing that the Yuuzhan Vong didn´t already have and the Jedi still could fight them.

6. Dark_Faith

Jan 30, 2004
    The Legacy comics proves, the Jedi will always eventually be defeated and fall and the Sith wll always rise to take thier place. Its only natural for the muggles to stand up and show how fed up they are.

7. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Well, there's one main reason your little proposal hasn't happened:

Because then the Star Wars Universe gets a heck of a lot more boring, and loses just about everything that sets it apart from "Generic Sci-fi/Space Opera Setting X".

In other words, it's a story killer. It's the same reason the "muggles" haven't dropped fuel-air bombs on Hogwart's and the other "magic academies".

Tell me you don't seriously think this would be a good idea for the overall setting?

8. Dark_Faith

Jan 30, 2004
    Why not? Its something different and refreshing for once and a decent idea I think. This would force the Jedi and Sith to band together and learn to fight without the force and even connect it back to KOTOR 2 with the plot of Darth Traya.

It would even bring back the original feel of Star Wars as in ANH. Where 'muggles' weren't just push overs and actrully were in the spotlight while Jedi and Sith remained in the backround, casting a mystery and aura about them. Blasters would return to the forefront.

Another idea is a new planet with creatures who the anthesis of the ysalamiri. Creatures who imbue the force! Hey if you have creatures who feed off the light side (tenterreks)...why not?

Remember this is STAR WARS! Dramatics and invention are key, even if cheesey at first sight.

9. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I was always surprised that the Vong created Vornskr mutants, but never bothered messing with the Ysalamiri. Either they were unaware of their ability or just dense. Given that this is the Vong, I assume the latter.

I wonder if a Jedi like Jacen could 'break through' the anti-force bubble.

10. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Not directly related to yslamiri, but my game in the RPF, Archangels and Alchemists, is all about this kind of idea. In my game all galactic citizens are injected with a midichlorian-repressing serum at birth- they've basically declared war on the Force.

I'm surprised though that this idea has not really been seen in official material. The Force spawns inequality, and Force Users have been behind almost every major war in galactic history. Why hasn't there been masses of people rising up to hunt them down, or to treat them like mutants?

11. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    There was, they were called 'the Empire' :p

And IIRC in the ANH novel Ben talks about who those who first discovered the Force were kinda marginalised in the same way we marginalise New-Age people today.

12. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    A) Ysalmiri are difficult. The only reason Karrde knew about them was because he had set up his base on Myrkr.
    B) People have such mystical views of the Jedi that they likely aren't big on the idea of fighting them.
    C) There's no reason for decent people to fight them because the Jedi are these amazing superhero people that are subordinate to the government and do a great deal of good and very little bad.

13. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    There's no reason for decent people to fight them because the Jedi are these amazing superhero people that are subordinate to the government and do a great deal of good and very little bad.

*cough* Peace brigade *cough*

14. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Aren't Ysalamiri Anti-Force because of the Mandalorian Iron in their blood?

15. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I'll take the oppurtunity to laugh at that joke now before someone comes by asking for evidence and trying to correct you.

16. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Um, I didn't mean it as a joke...[face_plain]

I read something about it in the "Droids and the Force" article Abel wrote for Hyperspace last year....

17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Oh. I thought that was a dig at Fandos. Anyhoo...

Mandalorian iron isn't Force resistant, it's lightsaber resistant.

18. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Have you read the article?

It's very interesting about the ways many scientists have used the force and technology in a weird hybrid fusion. Including a few explanations of researching methods and such things.

But anyways, it sort of states there that that's the reason why Ysalamir have force repelling capabilities.

Here are the endnotes to the article if you wanna see something about it.

Endontes Part 2
    http://blogs.starwars.com/abelgpena/49/comments

19. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

First off, I don't think too many people assume they are going to ever face a force user. They just aren't that common. They litter the books and movies, but when it comes down to it, the amount of Jedi/Sith/Dark Jedi/Whatever is but a drop in the galactic gene pool.

"Have you ever encountered a Jedi Knight before?"
    "Well, No."
    "I am not going in there with two Jedi!"

Nute Gunray, Viceroy of the Trade Federation had not even met a Jedi Knight. What are the odds that a normal citizen of the galaxy would run into one? Certainly not worth the cost and bother of carrying a Lizard and rack on your back at all times. Those that used them would be the GFFA equivilent of the "Tin Foil Hat" club.

Carnage

20. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

He did, 12yrs before his Phantom Menance movie line saying he hadn't . . . but it was plausable deniability. ;)

21. Alex30

Alex30 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2002
    As someone has said the Jedi are the Superhero of the Star War Universe and they have spend thousands of years defending the people. They serve the government and are the cops of the universe. I ask again: why is going the people to hate them?

"There's no reason for decent people to fight them because the Jedi are these amazing superhero people that are subordinate to the government and do a great deal of good and very little bad.
    *cough* Peace brigade *cough*"

And you call that decent people?

Just because you are tired to read about Jedi doesn´t mean that they are bad.

22. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    No, but it would make sense from the POV of someone who lived in the GFFA. It seems like the Jedi are only needed to mop up the Sith's mess.

23. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Because those Jedi vs. Sith conflicts (and their lead-ins and epilogues) are the only time periods that have been "spotlighted" in comics, video games, books, and movies. Bear in mind there's several thousand years of Galactic History where the Jedi were around, presumably doing (reasonably) good deeds and apparently being pretty good Galactic Citizens (otherwise they would have been hunted far earlier than the Empire).

Think about it, we have (and my numbers may be off, as I don't have my NEC handy) 25,000 years of Galactic History (roughly) accounted for, and of that entire stretch, we have approximately what....1500 years' worth of Sith problems? Maybe 2000? That leaves 23,000 years without serious Sith incursions. If the Jedi were "useless" in that whole time period, they probably -would- have been disbanded. Obviously, they still served some useful purpose to the proto-Republic during that time.

But the reason we don't see stories of the Jedi during those times is because, well...those times are boring stretches of relative "peace" throughout the Galaxy.

And -that's- why the Jedi weren't "attacked/wiped out/destroyed" before the Empire. The Jedi's reputations weren't those of warriors, they were "guardians of peace and justice". And apparently did quite well at the job during the time periods that the Sith weren't ascendant.

24. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Yeah, but the Empire was ruled by Sith. Ultimately their Jedi Purge was just another Force User war.

I'm talking about a group made up only of non-Force Users. Though I didn't know about the ANH novel thing.

25. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Well, at least the "current" conflict of the GFFA ("Betrayal") doesn't have anything to do with Jedi or Sith or anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.