main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Revolt of the Muggles

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dark_Faith, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediWampa

JediWampa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2000
    I don't believe Sauron was being sarcastic, and I agree. I believe he's referring to the GA/Corellia conflict. The Jedi are INVOLVED, but not central.

Sauron, I'm not trying to correct you, but someone is likely to point out a lot of Jedi and Sith stuff that's a second line running in the books....thought I'd try to help head off some heat before it falls.

2. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I know the Sith and the Jedi are going to be all around, but they aren't why there is a conflict. There is no Dooku, there is Thrackan, there is no Palpatine, there is Cal Omas.

They still play parts (Jedi-Sith) in the conflict, but it isn't about them

3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    It's implied that Lumiya has a hand in goading the conflict on...

4. Darth_Cryptos

Darth_Cryptos Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2006
    What really surprises me is that they don't portray the idea that the "common folk" don't see much difference between Jedi and Sith, as G0T0 and others mention in KOTOR2. What do people usually bring up when talking about the Jedi or when they identify them? Lightsaber. Check. Jedi "sorcery" or the Force. Check.

Otherwise all they've got is the vague sense that someone once might have told them Jedi are "good guys" and Sith are "bad guys" - maybe - or the backing of a government like the old Republic (sometimes.) But then, Sith sometimes have the backing of a government as well, and I'm sure there are people who wonder where the Sith came from that they're so similar to Jedi on the surface. How many people are really going to be aware of the Jedi Code? Especially when that Code is so complicated in practice, and so many fall to the dark side.

Given the Jedi "mystique" that Saba instructs Leia to maintain, and that they never seem to have much of a public relations effort after the Sith (or Vong, or whatever) start devastating galactic wars to wipe them out, how much of the galaxy would really know the difference?

For every Luke Skywalker, there's a Kyp Durron that once blew up a star system. How many people would really understand "the dark side made me do it"? (In point of fact, I'd say that one of the big things that led to the treatment of Jedi during the YVW was Kyp Durron and the free pass he got. For a long time it was the "Luke Skywalker Redeemed My Evil A$$ Club.")

So ysalamiri don't surprise me (although a variation of that is an interesting idea), but that people aren't more hostile does surprise me.

5. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Well, opinions can change in 4000 years. The state of the galaxy in KOTOR is different from the "present" of the Star Wars Universe. Bear in mind that most of the galaxy never knew Palpatine was a Sith Lord.

For about 3000 of those 4000 years between KotOR and the "Rise of the Empire", the Jedi were the "good guys" and the Sith were basically nonexistent. So I'd say if anything, the Sith aren't terribly well-distinguished from the Jedi except as being "bad", but the Jedi are generally (until the Imperial era) seen as "good".

Or maybe more accurately, perhaps the "common folk" of the Galaxy don't let a few rotten apples spoil the whole bunch.

6. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    There's plenty of reserved hostility. People don't know a lot, and since the Jedi are so mystical, there are plenty of people that quietly think bad things about the Jedi. Over all, though, people don't care, don't know, or don't think it's any of their business. The rest like them. Until PT era, the Jedi were pretty much regarded as heroes.

7. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    True, but it's much less than before.

8. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    I always thought about that. Ysalamiri plasma. A nice neat injection. IV or tranquilizer dart.

Though it's hard to dart a jedi, they would feel that impending attack.
    Vader could sense six guys in a warehouse that were going to attack him from ORBIT.

9. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I think we see from miriskins that dead tissue wouldn't work. Then again, blood plasma wouldn't be dead...but I still think it takes an ysalamiri, rather than component parts.

10. Alex30

Alex30 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2002
    "What do people usually bring up when talking about the Jedi or when they identify them?"

It´s a culture thing. The people grow thinking about the Jedi as heros and the Sith as the "devil".
    Have you hear some Star War´s character say "sithspawn"?

"Given the Jedi "mystique" that Saba instructs Leia to maintain, and that they never seem to have much of a public relations effort after the Sith (or Vong, or whatever) start devastating galactic wars to wipe them out, how much of the galaxy would really know the difference?"

Some non Jedi characters have complained that the Jedi get all the glory in the war, that anyone would think that the Clone Wars were won by the Jedi and some pilots. Is there a better public relations?

"For every Luke Skywalker, there's a Kyp Durron that once blew up a star system. How many people would really understand "the dark side made me do it"?"

Actually it was a "Sith Lord" made me do it.

"In point of fact, I'd say that one of the big things that led to the treatment of Jedi during the YVW was Kyp Durron and the free pass he got"

The Vong were an unstoppable enemy who were killing millions and said "give me the Jedi and I won´t kill you all". If they have said "give me all the blonde men and I won´t kill you all" there wouldn´t a blonde in all the galaxy now (well, except maybe Luke).

11. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    I don't think it's possible, though to make something of the likes of a force-neutralizing weapon.

Why? Because the Vong would've done it:

*They had Ysalamiri and Vornsrks
    *They had "invisibility" to the force
    *They had "uber-wow" biotech.

If anyone could've done it, it would've been the Vong....

12. Alex30

Alex30 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2002
    Actually the Vong didn´t knew about the Ysalamiry. They knew about the Vornsrks and its planet because Karde told them so he could rescue the children at the academy, but he never said nothing about the Ysalamiry.

13. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Unless I'm mistaken, the Vong had Ysalamiri in Baanu Rass.

14. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Yeah, they had Ysalamari, and specialized biohosts for them.

15. gemking

gemking Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005

There was, they were called 'the Empire' :p

And IIRC in the ANH novel Ben talks about who those who first discovered the Force were kinda marginalised in the same way we marginalise New-Age people today
    [hr]

Actually, the Empire were ruled by the Sith...I think the group you might be looking for would be the Rebellion!!! (Pre Luke)

Also, someone mentioned earlier in the thread about "muggles" dropping fuel bombs on Hogwarts - not possible. Hogwarts is invisible to the muggle eye, has all sorts of repellant magic to make muggles walk the other way if they happen to get too close etc, not to mention lots of protective magic that would no doubt repel the bombs even if it were visible. So with all this in mind, it would be impossible to drop bombs on them....

16. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    To feed the voxyn. Not for Jedi restraint, IIRC.

18. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I wonder how Public the Jedi would be with explaining "Sith". When it comes right down to it, it would take a fairly long explanation to explain to ordinary people what a "Sith Lord" is compared to a Jedi. "NO! We are good! They are bad!" If you let out too much information, some lunatic is going to start thinking of kidnapping jedi and torturing them.

1. Pain Leads to suffering. Check.
    2. Suffering leads to Hate. I'm pretty sure he hates me.
    3. Hate leads to the dark side. Hmmmmm, now if I just leave a list of my enemies saying that they "Payed to have me torture them..."

Explaining each sides' doctorine may not be the best choice.

Carnage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.