VIDEO Revolution Is My Game: The Nintendo Wii Discussion

Discussion in 'Games' started by The2ndQuest, Oct 17, 2006.

Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest
  1. Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Whoo Hoo my first post on the Wii only thread! As the date nears pretty much a month from now, I am reminissing on all the launches I've lived through on my quarter century of life on this planet. As far as hype goes, remember 3D0, Jaguar, Phillips CD-i. They were some of the first CD based consoles(not just add ons like Sega CD) and were the "next gen" of their time. The one thing that was crucial to their survival was software support and quality in that software. Same as it was yesterday as it is today. PS3 may get the hype of being rare and hard to come by, if its support is lacking, it could be put out to pasture. Same with 360 and Wii. If you have a strong start, but nothing after that, it'll flounder and become a thing of the past.

If I could have chosen which platform to keep alive, I would've kept 3DO. I think if it had come out maybe a few years later than it originally did, Sony would have been shaking in their boots, and Nintendo might have partnered with Sony after all.

Just some food for thought...
  2. Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master

star 3
    Does anyone know how Nintendo are cutting down load and save times - even better than before aparantly - with the Wii?
    Obviously N64 slaughtered Saturn and PS1 as it used carts rather than discs, and Gamecube destroyed all other 3 consoles' save/load times due to the miniture discs used rather than proper 12 inch ones that Xbox, Dreamcast and PS2 used.

I have a feeling it's because the Wii games will deliberately not fill anywhere near the amount of space needed on each disc, which will lead to very fast saves and loads of each game. What do you all think?
  3. Violent Violet Menace JCC moderator

Manager
    star 5
    [link=http://wii.ign.com/articles/739/739662p2.html]Nice editorial[/link]. Pretty much sums up my thoughts.
  4. Soontir-Fel Jedi Master

star 5
    That article is horrible for the sole reason that he says keeping Zelda under wraps is a bad thing. If anyone spoiled the story for Zelda I would not be able to contain myself and read it. Then I would hate myself and everyone else.

Since when is keeping something a surprise a bad thing?
  5. Drew_Atreides Jedi Master

star 5
    I don't think he's talking about the story, i think he's talking about actual gameplay.
  6. Soontir-Fel Jedi Master

star 5
    That should be a surprise too. As long as they show the basic gameplay of it and it works fine then what is the problem? Two levels are enough to get a feel of the general controls.
  7. clonetrooper1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I think keeping the gameplay in Zelda a secret is a good thing, Gives you more to look forward to.
  8. Violent Violet Menace JCC moderator

Manager
    star 5
    Actually, I disagree with the secret thing too. I trust Zelda games are always good so I do not need to know anything about the games before buying them. However, about you not being able to resist the temptation: that is your own shortcoming, Soontir, and others can not be held responsibe for your inability to control yourself. :p
  9. Soontir-Fel Jedi Master

star 5
    I'M GOING TO BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN

HOWS THAT FOR CONTROL
  10. Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Even though everyone in the gaming industry knows what Nintendo likes to do with it's games, doesn't mean it's a "loss". With or without hype, the game's final rating comes down to each individual player. My brother and I form our own opinions with different games for different systems. For example, when I came back from Comic Con, I told him that I played SF Command at the DS booth and told him you controled the Arwing with the stylus. Immediately his reaction was,"Ahh, that sucks, it's just gonna make it harder to play!". Fast forward to today, he borrowed it a couple of weeks ago, and he got all but one of the endings, and said it's actually pretty fun. I myself had doubts about SFC when I first got it. I actually found myself putting more time into SFC than New Super Mario Bros. and Super Princess Peach. Heck I kept my DS plugged on stanby at night and took it to work with me and played every second I could.

The moral of the story:Everyone has their own opinion, but for the most part, Zelda games rock!
  11. Violent Violet Menace JCC moderator

Manager
    star 5
    Mussolini would be proud.
  12. Soontir-Fel Jedi Master

star 5
    Resident Evil 4 would be the perfect game for a Wiimake.
  13. Rouge Null Jedi Knight

star 5
    I can see that. You'd shuck swarming zombies by flicking the Wiimote back, and kick their heads off with a sweep to the side. If they do it I hope they add another hand weapon, or just upgrade the knife to a machete or something.
  14. Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I think Ikari Warriors would be good to bring back or even Operation Wolf!
  15. smauldookie Jedi Knight

star 5
    i got to play the Wii! i got to play the Wii! [face_dancing] last friday during Nintendo Fusion Tour.

Wii Sports is freaking addictive and sooooo much fun. :D
  16. clonetrooper1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I wonder when the shops will have those wii demo things?

probally a gew weeks before the release
  17. Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I'm oh soooo jealous!!!
  18. smauldookie Jedi Knight

star 5
    Nintendo Fusion Tour: Texas
    http://www.thewiire.com/features/181/1/Fusion_Tour_Texas
    Since September, the Nintendo Fusion Tour has been making the rounds across North America. A few weeks ago, the tour stopped in New York City at the Nintendo World Store; The Wiire's audio editor Leo Pugliese covered the event and received his first hands-on time with Wii. October 20, however, brought the Fusion Tour down to the Lone Star State (that's Texas) and The Wiire's Senior Editor Shawn White was in attendance. The following is his report.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Everything is bigger in Texas. An unfortunate reality at times, but in the case of the Nintendo Fusion Tour, it's definitely a positive. Nokia Theatre--an enclosed, yet spacious center for a myriad of musical affairs--housed the event, and for one night only, the Wii.

[image=http://thewiiremedia.revolutionreport.net/events/13/86.jpg]
    [image=http://thewiiremedia.revolutionreport.net/events/13/90.jpg]
    [image=http://thewiiremedia.revolutionreport.net/events/13/87.jpg]
    [image=http://thewiiremedia.revolutionreport.net/events/13/92.jpg]
  19. JediStarKiller2 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Wii have a Wiiiiiiii thread now...YAY!!!!! [face_dancing]
  20. clonetrooper1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    i keep on forgetting about mario galaxy but i'm deffinetly going to get that when it's released
  21. smauldookie Jedi Knight

star 5
    I can't wait to play with my Wii in 23 days. :-B
  22. Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I'm gonna wait for the black one. It just looks too cool to pass up.
  23. clonetrooper1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Is that all?

Man i thought it was longer
  24. The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling

star 3
  25. clonetrooper1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    but where i am just about now it will be back to 23
Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest