main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Revolution Is My Game: The Nintendo Wii Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 17, 2006.

1. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    There are few great games for the Wii, even fewer non-Nintendo ones. My Wii only gets pulled out for the odd game of pro evo or smooth moves. I really wish there would be less drivel coming out. Reminds me of the PS2, except the PS2 had more great games alongside it's pile of rubbish.

2. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002
    Hi, sorry about this but it`s stupid question time[face_whistling] - apologies if this has already been spoken about but I don`t have time to read through all the previous posts.

I just got a Wii for Xmas, and I want to play Gamecube games on it - I`ve got ONE GC controller, can I just plug the one in or do I need to plug in two? And as far as a memory card goes, do I just buy a standard Wii memory card, or do I need a Gamecube one?

Apologies for my ignorance, thanks in advance.

Merry Xmas everyone!:)

3. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I am pretty sure you'll need a Gamecube memory card. However, those are hard to find, but I am sure you could get one off of eBay.

4. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002
    Thanks, will the GC memory card definitely fit?

5. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    on the top of the wii, there is a place (you flip the part over, its like a lid) and there's a place for a GC memory card and to plug in a game cube controller.

6. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002
    Thank you, much appreciated:)

7. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    you're welcome. I've had a Wii for 11 months and I LOVE it. Wii-Sports is the Best.

8. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I've had my Wii for the 2 years it's been out and I love GH for it. I can't wait until they release the 80's for it. Or even a 70's game for it.

9. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    Got a problem with my Wiimote!

Brought it round to a friends to have a game of Mario Kart and while we tried to sync it up the lights that flash showing it has battery stopped flashing and the Wii no longer recognises it. I've switched batteries and such and the same thing happens, any ideas anyone?

10. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Booooo, I can't get past 980 on Wii sports tennis. I keep going up and down between 960 and 980 lol.

Oh and loving My Fitness Coach.

11. Legend_of_Leroy

Legend_of_Leroy Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    @greengreatwarrior

I'm not sure what problem you exactly have but I can say a few facts.

For your own wii you can synchronise your remote by opening the battery flap, then pressing the synch button under the front flap of the wii, pressing the other synch button on the wii remote. The wii remote should flash its colours and then synchronise itself with your wii permamenently until it is synched permanently with another console or an error happens like it sometimes does (and you just synch it again).

If you do not want to synch a wii remote permamently to another console but want to use it to play you can do so by using the wii remote settings feature on the home button menu, where you can do a one time synchronise with the console by reconnecting the controllers, this will not affect the permanent settings.

The only other problem I can think of is a faulty wii remote.

12. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    Basically when you press a button, no lights flash =\

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Finally got around to playing Mega Man 9 for a bit tonight (downloaded it awhile ago). Only had time to try out a few levels, but it's a good taste of things to come. Good mix of clever and glorious ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME?! evil challenge.

So far:

Concrete Man: Good stage, easy enough to pass after a few trys (if you can get past the second elephant without much damage, you're pretty good to go- sucker's difficult to find a good pattern on though). Concrete Man himself seems easy enough in pattern but both his primary attacks are paralyzing which lead to a very quick death. I speculate either Splash Woman's, Magma Man's or Jewel Man's weapon might be effective but just guessing here for now. Which is worse for concrete? Getting it hot, wet or drilling it? And yes, you're lucky I phrased that question instead of Leto.

Jewel Man: Trickier stage, the swinging platform physics can be deceptive when combined with Mega Man's jumping range. I don't think it's possible to get past the faced-boulder mini boss without a boss weapon- need something to freeze him in place long enough to get more than a single shot at (presumably, Concrete Man's weapon most likely).

Hornet Man: More difficult stage- lots of spikes above and below in tight jumping areas at times, dangerous enemy units that combine into scissors and homing missle sprouting flower pots, thoguh the latter can be defeated with stragetic use of the screen edge. Second phase (though sill prior to a check point) deals with homing cannons that you have to activate to track you to destroy blocks to permit you to fall further into the level. Got stuck around there.

Tornado Man: Interesting stage. Very platforming-intensive and vertical as you'd expect from an Air Man-esque level.The rotating magnetic platforms are very cool though- just gotta make sure you land in the middle otherwise you're thrown clear. Timing your rotation (or rapid jumping if your not sticking to them) to other similar platforms along the course while avoiding spikes can be tricky.

Hopefully will get a chance to check out the rest of them tommorow. Still, very cool and it's a relief to have something designed to be a challenge. Though, I must admit, I very much miss the slide and megabuster charge shot- might even have been able to take down the faced-boulder if i had the charge shot.

14. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I recommend doing Splash Man or Galaxy Man first. From there, just go in order of the robot master weakness chart available on GameFAQs.

I've been playing some Wii Fit today, and I am so sweaty. It really gives you a good workout.

15. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I need to get back to doing WiiFit. I only can successfully do the Torso twists (well, as successful as you can get if you're me). I have a terrible time with balance games (I always make mistakes during the ski shalom) and I'm okay on the run, but it gets tiring running in place for that long, especially if you have to hold the wii-mote or put it in your pocket.

I tried doing one of the Yoga poses, but it was too complicated for me. The Rhythm boxing is kind of fun.

16. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I have to get back on my Wii Fit. I slacked off so much. But then again I had someone hit my car, and I got laid off. I do lift weights though.

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Wow.

http://www.wiispray.com/

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    VGCats has an amusing take on casual gaming and the Wii- made better by being a Colbert Report reference. WARNING: Language.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://store.gameshark.com/catalog/RRR5762.gif]

I gave in. I'll let you know how it does...

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So I finally found some time to do some gaming again, and decided to start with Super Paper Mario since I was borrowing that one.

The dimension switching aspect is a neat concept, and is used a couple times to good effect (at least as far as I've played- only beat the Chapter 1 levels so far). There's also some humor (the Count's assistant's personality, to the small touches like the guardian robo-dragon's eyes turning into the Wii connection circle when trying to access a database).

However I'm finding myself really not getting into the game that much- the story seems like it's trying to be a parody or satire of your typical RPG story, but at the same time it has moments that could be generally epic or creepy if they were taken seriously. And it takes WAY too long to get into the actual gameplay. I'm also finding the platforming aspect, while a welcome addition to the RPG form, just not compelling enough.

The first boss fight though, with the robo dragon, is quite awesome though- one of the largest Mario enemies I can recall off the top of my head, as well as slightly more complicated than some other recent Mario boss fights (though still a bit easy- I still haven't had a need to use any items I've collected yet).

Still, I don't think I'm going to continue with this one- not out of it being a terrible game or being too hard, just not clicking with it. The gameplay might have actually ended up being very enjoyable as it has a brisk pace, but the story constantly interrupts it and makes it a stop-and-go experience.

I also picked up Mega Man 9 again so I could finish at leats trying out every stage since I had only had the chance to play the first half of em last time. They deservingly kicked my ass (though I think I could have beat Galaxy Man's stage if I could figure out that warp ring puzzle mid-way). One of these days I'll actually beat one of those damn levels. Approvingly challenging stuff.

I also played Super C for the first time in decades and went pretty far solo without the Konami Code. I didn't realize the top-down stages were intorduced this early in the series. Reminds me of the Rambo game on the Master System (the only game I ever recall my friends and i wanting to play on that besides a built-in sidescroller).

As for the Rabbids charger- so far it's working pretty well, though the eye color lights representing the charging status can be very sensitive in relation to the wiimotes on the station and occasionally flicker back and forth if there's significant vibration in the room.

I'm hoping to be able to set aside a day each week to try and devote to catching up on my 3 generations of backlogged game purchases (though I want to get Zelda out of the way first so that will take a little longer), because it's difficult for me to justify buying any more console titles (even ones that have been really tempting, like The Conduit, Madworld and Punch Out!) with so many yet to really play. I figure if I can at least get the Wii and GCN titles out of the way, I'll be able to tackle the fewer PS2 and N64 titles at a more leisurely pace.

21. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Been playing Wii Sports Resort all day.

I got the motionplus doodah a while back and have been playing around with EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis and wasn't convinced about the new attachment

But Resort is something else. It's astonishing. Table Tennis is my new favourite game, closely followed by the Archery.

A definite essential to the Wii catalogue.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Anyone else seen the videos of Muamasa: The Demon Blade? This game looks amazing! I haven't gone "woah!" in reaction to a game's graphics since the GCN came out- and some of these trailers made me exclaim that in earnest multiple times. Love that level with the fish-eye lens background effect. Reminds me of the brilliance of the rotating corridor of Castlevania IV.

23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    love wii sports, but the all time best game on there is godfather black hand. did enjoy Force Unleashed too despite gamecube graphics

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  25. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Great...other than Zelda, looks like I'll also be able to pick up iCarly and Barbie Dream Pony Cheer-a-thon Super Kid Sister Mallarama this fall. Yay.

Why have all the best Wii releases lately been SNES retro-downloads?