VIDEO Revolution Is My Game: The Nintendo Wii Discussion

Discussion in 'Games' started by The2ndQuest, Oct 17, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I have been wondering where Nintendo's focus/development has been the last year. Punch Out was nice, and we've had some good 3rd party titles, but N's been short since Smash and Kart.
  2. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
  3. cavado628 Jedi Youngling

4. cavado628 Jedi Youngling

5. ShiriKeiCelisoe Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It upsets me that I reserved a copy of New Super Mario Bros. Wii and they pushed back the release date. I requested the original day off so that I could go get it and spend all day playing it. Gah! :mad:
  6. giantbarcelona Jedi Youngling

7. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    First NSMBW review is in!

The Official Nintendo Magazine gave it a 96%. For those worried about difficulty, the reviewer states the game "starts easy, ends hard as nails."
  8. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 4
    even though it is a joke compared to the 360 version, i am still enjoying madden 2010 on the wii, while i am waiting to get a 360. yeah i thought conduit was ok. it was supposed to be better. the sad reality is... 90% of all wii games suck. the new marvel ultimate alliance is a old rehash of the first one, but it is good on the 360 i hear. video game creators need to stop making wii versions of games so sloppy, and rushed
  9. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    Is there a Press Your Luck 2010 Edition Wii thread? Wondering if the game is any good.

Someone above said the New Super Mario Bros for Wii got pushed back? To what date?
  10. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    November 15th in the US, 12th in Australia and 20th in Europe.
  11. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    Anyone plan on buying the New Super Mario Bros Wii from Amazon for that $10 credit towards a future video game purchase?
  12. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Frankly, I know exactly why Wii sales have recently been tanking -- no good, new first-party games, coupled with a much better selection of "hardcore" titles available on other consoles. People who have played the Wii at a friend's place have more than likely played all of the fun "AAA" games already.

Seriously, every title that shows up on Wii that exists on the other two systems is utter crap. Guitar Hero 5 for the Xbox 360 is miles above the Wii version (yeah, it's GH, but I have never seen such a stark contrast between two ports of a single game like this one -- it's like the difference between a port for a hand-held system versus one for a PC).
  13. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    The sales have been tanking because there are no soccer moms left to buy any.
  14. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    No, it definitely had to do with the games. For the first year they had Metroid 3 and Zelda to prop it up while people were still trying to get a system. Then they had another good period between Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros and Mart Kart.

But year 3 has been a dearth of AAA titles. Mad World had promise but wasn't a smash hit. Conduit did ok. Punch-Out was good. Hasn't been much else in the way of exclusives.

Some of the problem was delayed or canceled titles (Disaster, etc). But Nintendo needs to step it up. If not for my decade-long backlog of games to play, even I'd have a 360 by now. It can't rely on similar/slightly-superior 3rd party ports to supplement the 1st party releases to flesh out the system's selection like it could with the GCN.

At least things will pick up a little bit with NSMB and Rabbids Go Home- though I suspect we might be in for a long haul till the next batch of Nintendo hits with Other M and Zelda.
  15. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
    I went into Best Buy last night to get Wii Sports Resort, and for the first time (that I have ever seen?), I saw a whole pallet of Wiis sitting on the floor. Pretty much untouched. Considering when I got mine 2 years ago, I had to get there at 6AM and wait in the cold & snow for the store to open, and they have been pretty scarce since then, this was a bit of a shock.

Sure, I've seen them on the shelves (a little) recently, this is the first time I have seen a huge pallet load of them. I guess they got their supply finally fixed. Unfortunately, the lack of games really is hurting them. There hasn't been a game I have really wanted to get, for some time. First party, third party whatever.

I did get the kidses the SW Republic Heroes game, but I think it might be a little to difficult for them (9, 7 and 6, and they are NOT huge gamers) as the beginning was mostly jumping from point to point. I hope the game improves a bit so they can play it without me having to walk them through every level. Part of the reason why I got the game was to keep them engaged while I'm doing college homework. Not that I mind playing with them, just I was hoping for something closer to Battlefront, or something that they could play without me holding their hands the whole way through. Guess not.

At least Wii Sports Resort seems to be popular, and easy for them to pick up so far. Here's hoping it is worth it...
  16. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 4
    yeah heard it was pretty fun
  17. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Found this site that's a pretty handy reference: Wii Are Deep, has a listing of all the non-shovelware 1st and 3rd party titles.
  18. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    Great site, thanks! My little brother's getting a Wii for Christmas, and I plan on taking advantage of it from time to time.
  19. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Man my wife and I just bought a Wii for our 6 yr old daughter and 2 yr old son. It is going to be hard to keep that thing in the box until 12/25!!!!!!!!!!
  20. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Apparently not the case: 550,000 Wiis Sold During Thanksgiving Week, a little more than what was sold in the entire month of October.

By comparison, the Wii sold 800,000 units the same week last year and 350,000 units in 2007 when the system was still hard to find.

But then Nintendo had an insane peak last year- i don't think it's realistic to expect it to maintain those numbers, especially when the PS3 and 360 were apparently selling in the 500k and 350k ranges this year.
  21. Wyndmage Jedi Knight

star 1
    The Wii is a ton of fun. Sure it misses out on a lot of good games, but there are plenty of good games on the wii.

I heard a rumor that Battlefront III will be wii only next year. I wonder if there is any truth to that!
  22. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't think the Wii's problem is a lack of 1st party games, to be honest, the other consoles don't have that many themselves do they? Punchout isn't really that innovative though is it? As a boxing game, compared to Fight Night, it doesn't stand up that well does it? I mean in terms of gameplay, not graphics.

In my opinion games like Mario Strikers charged and Mario Tennis do more harm than good, they aren't great games and they're 1st party titles, what does that say to other developers and consumers?

I love the Wii but there aren't enough good games, period.

23. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Mario Strikers Charged is actually a really fun game, especially in multiplayer- better than the GCN version, IMO.

Mario Tennis was huge on the N64 and GCN, though I hear the Wii's controls make teh Wii version inferior to the GCN one.

There is a good selection of good games on the Wii- it's just they're not the same ones you're seeing on other systems. Just check out that link earlier, there's plenty of solid games there, they're just not Mass Effect, Uncharted 2 or Arkham Asylum.
  24. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm with you on that, but games from certain developers can almost make or break a system.

In the UK, EA games like FIFA and the competition Pro Evo/World soccer winning 11 sell like absolute hot cakes. The games for the Wii haven't been as strong so people have gone 360/PS3 to get their fix.

While the Nintendo adverts have focused on 1st party titles, I'd really love to see some plugging of the more unfamiliar 3rd party titles which no one really knows about.
  25. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Oh, I'm with you on that- it'd be in Nintendo's favor to do a huge 3rd party push for existing 3rd party titles like The Conduit, Modern Warfare, Mad World, Masamura, Dead Space: Extraction, No More Heroes, Zack and Wiki, A Boy and His Blob, Battallion Wars 2, Godzilla Unleashed, King of Fighters, and some upcoming ones like Tasunoko VS Capcom, Epic Mickey, No More Heroes 2, Dragon Quest X, Phoenix Wright, Pikmin 3, Red Steel 2, Silent Hill, Tales of Graces, etc.

Man, if I had access to the raw video, I'd love to cut together a 1 minute commercial for them on just 3rd party: "Wii are playing. What Are You Doing?" ;)

Maybe I'll do some heavy renting and capture some footage... [face_thinking]